What do we know about the launch of the Aer Lingus A321LR?

Aer Lingus has confirmed its first A321LR route.

Aer Lingus is about to receive the first of 14 single aisle A321LR aircraft.  Whilst these look like standard European short haul planes, they have been adapted to have the capacity to fly transatlantic.  They are ideal for Aer Lingus which sees them as a way of being able to launch flights to smaller US East Coast cities which could not justify an A330.

The first plane has now appeared in the timetable from 1st July.  It will operate between Dublin and Hartford, in Connecticut.

Aer Lingus A321LR business class seat

I would expect to see the aircraft being rostered for some European flights during June to allow pilots and crew to get familiar with it.  It will have fully flat seats in Business Class as you can see from the image above.

Important dates for your diary - offers about to close which you shouldn't miss
Changes to InterContinental Ambassador benefits on reward nights

Hilton Sale

Comments

1. OT – What is the new Avios card being launched?

• Rob said it has slipped a few days but definitely coming so hopefully we will know early next week. Sounds like a niche card though as I think he said it will only be of interest to a relatively small number of HFP readers. Possibly a card available only to holders of a certain bank account? If so, Lloyds group would be the obvious suspect?

• Mrs S is due a current account switch so holding fire to see what happens.

• I really hope not. It would suggest nearing the end of the Lloyds Amex. £24 for free FX, 1.25Avios/£ and a solo upgrade voucher, it will be very sadly lost. I know it’s coming, I just keep hoping I’ll be the last one out the door.

• It’s an SME card. Article confirmed for Monday.

• Thanks Rob, most of us can sleep better now 😉

• The Streets says:

Has anyone actually had their Lloyds avios duo card cancelled?

• My Lloyds Avios cards are still going strong. I’ve got the really old Duo Premier double pack and the wife has the newer FX ones. I’ve just earned another 241 voucher on mine and I’ve got hers sitting £200 off another upgrade voucher just waiting to pull the trigger if the bad news arrives.

Haven’t had any letters about either being cancelled. I hope that continues.

2. OT – A heads up for the E-Rewards fans on here. It appears that e-rewards have been dropped as an Avios partner. The sign-up page now generates a 404 error:- http://www.avios.com/gb/en_gb/collect/erewards/erewards?from=collectNav

E-rewards seem to suspending Avios registered accounts due to “inactivity” – however they will re-open them if you ask them to, but they will be converted over to an account that can only redeem into BA Exec Club rather than a generic Avios number.
    I had originally set up my e-rewards account with an Aer Lingus Avios account and was just transferring the points over to BA anyway, however, the major issue is that the maximum monthly award is 1000 BA Avios for 3,500 points rather than 2000 Avios for 6,500 points.

• Shoestring says:

Iberia?

• Iberia don’t seem to have been an active partner for e-rewards for the past year or so when all reference to them was removed from the Iberia website. I might ask to see if I can have my redemptions swapped over to Iberia rather than BA as the redemption rates are much more favourable

• i still have Iberia on my account. The key with eRewards is, if you signed up trhough an airline, you can only redeem on that airline and all hotel partners. If ou sign up through a hotel chain, you can exchange to that specific hotel chain or to all airlines partner.

If you signed up through Avios, Iberia Plus will not show as a partner.

3. OT

Just curious about the costs associated with upgrading a particular flight. If I booked DUB – LAX on a cheap £5-600 premium economy ticket, how much would it cost to upgrade the long haul flight?

I understand it would be 20k avios, but would the extra cash fee be?

Many thanks

• Do a dummy premium economy booking and a dummy club world booking. Look at the ‘taxes, fees, charges’ section of each. The difference between these is the cash cost to upgrade using avios.

• LHR to SAN was £100 per person per leg recently. If by long haul leg you mean LHR to LAX then I’d expect it to be £100 too.

4. Glad EI finally gets new planes – last time my partner and I flew with them, they casually fixed planes with duct tape!

Photo proof: https://twitter.com/win_and_fly/status/920020436884258819?s=21

5. Quick question on the upgrade for ambassador
    If you book a rate such as those available with Emyr Thomas of Bon Vivant which Hfp promotes and this includes an upgrade if available at check in, will you get a two room upgrade?

• pommy ray says:

I doubt it probably in effect they are the amb and getting you privileges.

• We tried that at IC Marseille by booking with Emyr and having Ambassador status. The answer was no, we can only get a one level upgrade according to the hotel as that honoured both promises of a ‘one level upgrade’. Other ICs may be different but it didn’t work in this case.

• Paris did double upgrade me as a combo of Emyr/ Virtuoso and Ambassador so it is very hit and miss.

But IC Paris, when I booked a junior suite once, sent Emyr pictures of 3 suites and asked me to pick the one I wanted upgrading into!

6. OT – next year 3 of us will be returning home on a flight which only ever sees 4 Y and 2 J reward seats released (we’ll be flying outbound in CW indirect but don’t want the inconvenience on the way home). If I book 3 x Y reward seats on the inbound, is there any way of upgrading them to J, e.g. paying cash at the airport, or can you only ever upgrade by one class? (PE isn’t worth it IMO, I’d rather pay for extra leg room seats in Y.)

• You might receive a promotional upgrade offer if you keep checking ‘manage my booking’.

Otherwise you can ask about an upgrade offer at the airport.

Neither of these are guaranteed.

• With BA you can only upgrade an avios booking by one class so WT to WTP or WTP to CW but not WT to CW.

Airport upgrades will be for cash. BA don’t do on the day avios upgrades

7. Another OT. Just received our amex Gold statement and it says they’re removing the following exclusions on its purchase protection cover from March 30th: .i. theft of or damage to items inside a vehicle and, ii, theft of electronic items and equipment. Says everything else stays the same. Refer to amex insurance web page to see the new document.

8. OT
    Any travel money offers going on at the moment?
    Trying to get some currency off before holiday as would be landing at weekend and want to avoid weekend currency fluctuations of Curve.

• Julian will be livid!

• Peter K says:

Get Revolut and exchange some money before you go using their midweek rate? You lock in that rate so you know what you’re getting before you go.

• Another shout for Revolut. You can set FX alerts in the app and exchange as soon as it hits the rate you are after and keep it for the holiday.

• I learn here that IHG Black Card count Revolut topup as purchase, correct?

• I can’t speak for IHG but I have an HSBC Premier WE which registers as a purchase afaik. No charge so far but I need to wait for this month’s statement to confirm. Alternatively a topup to Revolut using Curve backed by my HSBC comes through as a purchase.

9. OT can anyone with Hilton status check if the app is currently showing the wrong status level? I stayed 71 nights last year (so definitely diamond) I have 36 nights so far this year (including the rollover nights). The app says I’m silver with 4 nights to gold. The app a few days ago correctly said diamond.

• Hilton app showing me as gold as expected.

• Showing me correctly as gold but my stays were re-set to 0 on Jan 1st (status is via Amex Platinum though, so not bothered about that). I don’t know if this is usual or if stays should be counted per membership year and not calendar year as seems to be the case here?

• Peter K says:

Mine is showing as diamond.

• Brian W says:

Diamond as expected. I’d drop them an email or call.

10. Anthony says:

OT can anyone suggest a good US ticket office number to call when trying to book reward flights T-355 at midnight UK time? thanks

11. O/T: Has anyone ever been asked to prove eligibility for platinum/centurion Hertz CDP when picking up a car?

• Do you need to prove CDP, you can take the cars without CDP anyway but its obviously in your interest to have it.

• You are likely to have to give a credit card swipe for the CDW cap (5 figures sometimes) if relying on Plat.

• The credit card hold is OK. But I’m worried I’ll be asked to produce a centurion card..

• I’ve never been asked, although I do have my Plat card on my profile I doubt they’d ask for it if it wasn’t.

• If you have booked using the Platinum discount code then, yes, you may be asked to produce it – and if you can’t they can charge you whatever they want. There is no requirement for you to prove you have insurance if you refuse theirs as long as your credit card is good for a big deposit.

• Charlieface says:

It’s rare for them to ask for it, I have never been and used it prob 10 times. Although do remember you don’t actually need to pay with your plat card.

• Same if you buy CDP elsewhere you don’t need to prove it as you leaving the large deposit amount.

• I think you are confusing CDP with excess waiver. CDP is a discount code, and eligibility for plat/cent CDP requires holding plat/cent amex. The larger credit card hold is a side effect of the CDP because it increases the CDW cap.