Good Qatar Airways Bangkok deal – earns 560 BA tier points

Qatar Airways has launched a decent deal from Stockholm to Bangkok, with a return Business Class seat coming in at SEK 15,700 (£1,300).

This isn’t the greatest fare we’ve ever seen.  However:

it is available for all of 2019 and early 2020, except for Christmas week, as long as you fly out on Mon-Thu

you would earn 560 British Airways tier points due to the change of plane in Doha (140 points x 4 flights)

With multiple daily flights on each leg between Stockholm-Doha and Doha-Bangkok, you can pick from various seating options:

Boeing 777-300ER – you would either get the older 2-2-2 seating I reviewed here or a refurbished one with the amazing new Qsuite (reviewed here).

A350-900 –  the herringbone seat which I reviewed here, albeit in its 787 incarnation, which is very impressive.  Qatar has a special website showing off this seat which you’ll find here.

A330-200 – these are now refitted with flat seats, usually in a 2-2-2 configuration, so ignore any reports you see talking about sloping seats

A340-600 – as for the A330-200

Boeing 787-9 – see here for details of the seat there, which is also good.   I reviewed the 787-8 seat here.

The Qatar Airways booking site is here.  You need to book by 4th April and a five day minimum stay is required although it is possible that the fare is pulled earlier.

If you don’t have a credit card with 0% foreign exchange fees, your best option for paying is American Express Preferred Rewards Gold which offers triple points – 3 per £1 – when you book flight tickets in a foreign currency.  This is because the transaction triggers the ‘double points for airline spend’ and the ‘double points for foreign spend’ bonuses.

How to book low tax Avios redemptions on Iberia - Avios Redemption University - Lesson 11
LAST CALL: Get a 30% bonus on hotel transfers to Avios

Head for Points is sponsored by:

Magazine montage

Up to 30% off in Hilton's Winter Sale

Click here to find out more and book

Comments

1. How long have people found that Iberia takes to post the Groupon points?

• Mr. AC says:

Depends. I took this offer 3 times, and the 1st and the 3rd time they took less than a week. On the second time though I had to chase them – they took up to the last day of the period of the groupon validity and a couple attempts.

• flyforfun says:

What’s the best way to transfer points to BA? I had problems before as I have a HH a/c. Rob told me to set up a flybe Avios account which did the trick, but that option will be gone very soon!!

• Open an Aer Lingus or Vueling account and do the same thing as you do with Flybe.

• I still had a lot of issue transferring from Aer Club to BA household. Had to make a few calls for the transfer.

2. Mr. AC says:

O/T:
    – what’s the best way currently to check oneworld availability? Are there any tools that make it easy? I’ve vaguely heard something about Award Nexus, I think.
    – if two separate carrier websites (AA and Qantas) show that there’s Business class availability on LHR – Colombo route on Sri Lankan on a given date, yet BA’s website doesn’t agree – will the BA agent be able to book it if I call? If they can’t, is there any use complaining and to whom (since it’s an intra-onewrold issue)?

• Alex W says:

The Qantas website is good. Try calling BA to book – of they say no, HUACA.

3. O/T for bits: it looks like that Amex Curve top-ups earlier this year didn’t earn ANY Avios on BA Amex credit card. True?

• Doug M says:

Were they treated as cash or purchase?

• They certainly earned me MR points, so it would have been only a BA Amex thing if others report the same.

• stevenhp1987 says:

My topups earned Avios on my BAPP and MR on my Amex Gold. Earned a chunk paying a dealership for a brand new car via Curve!

All topups done during the beta though.

• Not true in my case – triggered my 241 voucher (actually without meaning to!) with Curve top-up

4. thehornets says:

Thanks for the Hertz information. I’ve got quite a few points I never seem to be able to use, so have hopes that this new scheme grows.

• Bagoly says:

If you ever pay for rentals from Hertz, you can use points for part of the booking.
      If you have rented for Fri and Sat you can choose which day for which to use points (weekend is fewer points)
      Until I tried that I thought mine were useless.

5. SammyJ says:

O/T – Intercontinental Ambassador
    Am I right that under the new system, there is no voucher? It said there would be a ‘digital voucher’ so I’ve been waiting for an email but it looks like I just book the rate and the hotel sort it when I get there? Thanks!

• TGLoyalty says:

If you joined or renewed after March 1st it will be digital

• SammyJ says:

Yes, it should be digital, but it mentioned a digital voucher – not seen one of those, just wondering if I actually need some sort of emailed voucher equivelant of the old paper one, or if the voucher no longer exists and it’s just done based on my membership status.

6. OT – does anyone know how to link 2 Membership Reward earning Amex cards please? I have the Platinum and the free Amex Rewards card but the points are in separate balances. I want to cancel the Platinum and move the MR’s to the free Amex Rewards balance but in the T&C’s it mentions that they must be linked.

7. Fola Akingboye says:

OT- Could someone help with queries below:
    I canceled my Preferred Amex Gold card before the new Amex rule and transferred all my MR points to the free Amex Rewards Card. Now with the new Amex rule, I am planning to cancel the free Amex Rewards Card, will it be possible to move all my MR points to the BAPP? Also, I am not sure if I should cancel my BAPP though I still have 6k spend to put on the card in order to activate the companion voucher. Is the companion voucher worth? because if I don’ t cancel my BAPP now it will only extend my waiting period to apply for a new card as per the new rule.

• Dave R says:

No.. the BA cards use Avios not MR points

• Shoestring says:

Worth it? Good question & depends on what you’ll use the 2-4-1 voucher for. I’ve never bothered to go for it as we only fly in Europe and it’s a big waste of money chasing it to get a free companion ticket saving £150 (Economy return) or £300 (Business return – but I wouldn’t normally fly Business on a short European flight so upgrading Ticket #1 to Business is an extra cost as well, meaning net saving is lower, about £150, though you can factor in the Business fare advantages x2 (free lounge/ drinks & snack on board/ 2x 32kg) so not too bad.

Whereas the 2-4-1 saving on a LH Business/ First return flight can be counted in the £000s.

8. It’s probably worth mentioning that Dinner (Heston Blumenthal’s slightly less famous restaurant – the one with the meat fruit and 2 Michelin stars) is in the Mandarin Oriental. Is it possible to use the Hertz / Mandarin Oriental gift card there? It is a fantastic restaurant, and they currently do a business lunch deal for £45 pp…

9. The Streets says:

AMEX customer services is getting worse. I am still waiting on the bonus Hilton promotions offer from last November of 3:1 to transfer from MR to Hilton points. Despite the email coming from AMEX they are blaming Hilton for not posting the points and that they cannot do anything about it. Also despite my repeated calls to AMEX (and Hilton) they “keep closing the case” because Hilton do not respond back in time to AMEX. It is only when I call again that they “reopen the case”. As a Platinum cardholder this surely isn’t the level of service you expect from AMEX

• Cormac says:

Escalate to a complaint – it then appeared to be handled out of Brighton. That’s what I did and it was sorted quite quickly and to my satisfaction.

• The Streets says:

Thanks Cormac, I have numerous times escalated via the call centre and had ‘supervisors’ calling me back to no avail. No one wants to take responsibility. Other than write to them, I am not sure what else I can do

• Cormac says:

I was in the same loop – massively frustrating – it will be sorted in 3 days etc. Ask to raise a formal complaint. That did the trick for me.

• I had the same issue – did online chat with Amex agent who was moderately helpful, had to take screenshots of the email they had sent in the first place with the bonus etc. Then called Amex at a different time of day a few days later – ended up speaking to an American sounding lady who said she would sort it out, gave me 2k MR for my trouble and the points posted a few days later.

10. Michael C says:

Re. Qatar – decent availabilty throughout the summer, and for little more you can do Stockholm-BKK / Phuket-Stockholm

• Yes we have done that before, into SGN, out of KUL. Works fine. Think ours was around 100 more pp. but that was back in a much better sale. Thinking if we will bother with F 241 next Feb, and go for this one instead. As HKT is one of our destinations. Have to do the maths.

11. Cspnvdl says:

O/T I will be flying business with Turkish Oslo- Denpasar later this year, I currently am not in any Star Alliance FFP. My active programs are BAEC and HHonors and to a lesssr extent Virgin, Hyatt and Accor.

I have absolutely no idea what to join and where to credit the miles. My sense is that I will get the best return from using Turkish’s own program – but st the moment at least it doesn’t seem likely i’ll be flying them with any regularity in the future ( which is also true however of any other Star Alliance airline…)

• The Original Nick says:

M&M? Then wait and see what happens with the Virgin merger. Check on statusmatcher first though.

• You need an account you can top up or empty easily. This usually means Singapore (1:1 from Amex to topup) or Lufty (move to Heathrow Rewards or redeem for hotel discounts).

Check wheretocredit.com first as Lufty is historically very mean on what it gives for Turkish flights.

• Definitely check wheretocredit. If United gives decent mileage you might consider them as well. There have been comments recently on how to top up just a few points to keep them from expiring, and SPG card/Marriott points are another option for transfers.

• Cspnvdl says:

Thanks Rob & everyone —definitely some helpful pointers.