BA sale

Good Qatar Airways Bangkok deal – earns 560 BA tier points

Qatar Airways has launched a decent deal from Stockholm to Bangkok, with a return Business Class seat coming in at SEK 15,700 (£1,300).

This isn’t the greatest fare we’ve ever seen.  However:

it is available for all of 2019 and early 2020, except for Christmas week, as long as you fly out on Mon-Thu

you would earn 560 British Airways tier points due to the change of plane in Doha (140 points x 4 flights)

With multiple daily flights on each leg between Stockholm-Doha and Doha-Bangkok, you can pick from various seating options:

Boeing 777-300ER – you would either get the older 2-2-2 seating I reviewed here or a refurbished one with the amazing new Qsuite (reviewed here).

A350-900 –  the herringbone seat which I reviewed here, albeit in its 787 incarnation, which is very impressive.  Qatar has a special website showing off this seat which you’ll find here.

A330-200 – these are now refitted with flat seats, usually in a 2-2-2 configuration, so ignore any reports you see talking about sloping seats

A340-600 – as for the A330-200

Boeing 787-9 – see here for details of the seat there, which is also good.   I reviewed the 787-8 seat here.

The Qatar Airways booking site is here.  You need to book by 4th April and a five day minimum stay is required although it is possible that the fare is pulled earlier.

If you don’t have a credit card with 0% foreign exchange fees, your best option for paying is American Express Preferred Rewards Gold which offers triple points – 3 per £1 – when you book flight tickets in a foreign currency.  This is because the transaction triggers the ‘double points for airline spend’ and the ‘double points for foreign spend’ bonuses.

How to book low tax Avios redemptions on Iberia - Avios Redemption University - Lesson 11
LAST CALL: Get a 30% bonus on hotel transfers to Avios

Comments

1. luckyjim says:

I’m seeing banner ads for Destinology offering 10000 Avios. Has anyone looked into it? Looks like you have to give them a lot of details about your plans before finding out what the offer is.

2. OT — how many Amex cards can one apply within one month? Is there any limit on that?

3. Re Groupon. Clicking through via a mobile shows a countdown clock below the Buy button. Deal seems timed to finish at midnight Saturday.

4. OT (Back to Tesco Mobile offer) I have just used a new Tesco sim with Rocket Pack in my iPad and it works fine. Good speeds showing the O2 network. 🙂
    Questions:
    1. By when do I need to have activated my second Rocket Pack which I have got as a store bought voucher?
    2. Do I need to use second voucher with my second yet-to-be-activated sim or can I apply it in a few weeks to the first sim I am now using in my iPad?

5. We prefer the herringbone seat, for us the Q suite’s had there day now. The seats aren’t wearing well, the lack of an independent lower leg rest causing fatigue and only one armrest. The cabins are dark and oppressive when the doors are shut. Herringbone seats are just more comfortable with two armrests and independent lower leg rest.plus a more open and lighter cabin. Mind you if you’re sitting in the middle rows you do feel as if the top half of your body’s going one way whilst your legs are going in another. So choose early 🙂

• Froggee says:

• dicksbits says:

choose early because …? which rows are better and facing which direction?

• Bagoly says:

Choose time, and therefore ‘plane?

• To get a window seat and not a central one. They’re all forwards facing but the central ones feel as if your body’s going in two different directions at once 🙂

• dicksbits says:

even the reverse sleeper ‘bed’ seats, not the front facing ones? (in the middle).

• dicksbits says:

Are you talking about the A350 solely here?

• I’m talking about the herringbone seats. The Qsuites are the ones that are front/back facing with ‘beds’. All the herringbone seats face forwards and no ‘beds’.

Not all A350’s have the same seats. If you want to know what’s currently flying a route then check out experflyer with the flight number. If the seat plan that comes up looks a little like a chessboard then it’s probably Q suites. If seats are shown in straight lines it’s probably herringbone seats. It’s not 100% reliable.

6. OT:

Does anyone have any experience of chasing Amex for referral bonus points that don’t post after a self-referral?

If so, how did that go?

• TGLoyalty says:

It will go very badly. Read the terms and conditions and see what qualifies as a referral.

• Yorkieflyer says:

If it goes through, great, if not please just accept that you win some and lose some, chasing something you aren’t entitled to is never going to work out well

• Don’t talk about fight club, especially to the club staff!

• Please don’t push it, it’s bad enough already for the rest of us.

• April Fools Day isn’t until Monday.

• I don’t know why you are so worried? It’s not like Amex don’t know you do it right? You best chase those points because soon that door will be closing too

• Haha – Yikes, okay everyone! I get the point. As it happens they posted today so all good.

7. Wally1976 says:

OT – I have the Lloyds Avios Amex/Mastercard still and haven’t yet received the letter giving 60 days notice of it ending. My annual fee of £24 is due in late April. I’m trying to decide whether to cancel it before then or keep it. My question is about what happens regarding the annual fee when it turns into the new Mastercard only product (which has no annual fee I believe). Presuming it changes shortly after I pay the annual fee, do I get (a) a full refund of the £24; (b) a pro-rata refund of the £24; (c) nothing? Or alternatively, will I be charged the fee at all?

Thanks for any information.

• My renewal date is also late April. I’ve had the letter, which says there’ll be a pro-rata refund. I’ve been given a year to earn one final upgrade voucher, so definitely worth keeping hold of.

• Nick_C says:

My renewal date was January. No letter yet. Just need to spend £500 to trigger my final voucher.

• Jovanna says:

My renewal date was February. I received the letter. It was dated 8 March but, according to the letter, I have until January 2020 to hit the target for the voucher.

• Wally1976 says:

Thanks for the replies folks 🙂

8. Cuchlainn says:

Groupon related :
    Does the new Groupon new customer €10 off code, as posted on HFP a couple of years ago, still work on this Iberia offer ?

9. New strategy – Refer your SO for the Green card (preferably from the Platinum, for that 18k bonus), tell them to upgrade to Platinum, https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/platinum-charge/upgrade/, hit the spend target and cancel.

In 2 weeks we just got 18k for me, 20k for her. We’ll repeat in a month or so.

• Shoestring says:

Good to know it works from Green. So you can upgrade to Plat from Green charge card for the upgrade bonus, you say, good info then.

• I also know that it doesn’t work from the Basic, their free charge card. It simply doesn’t appear as a car eligible for the upgrade. But yes, Green is good to go.

Furthermore, she had a Platinum card about 15 months ago when she applied for Gold, when it was still a charge card, then upgraded to the Platinum, got the points and cancelled. So this is the 2nd time she’s got the upgrade bonus.

• Clever ….

• Very useful, offsets some of the lost points from having closed platinum 6 months ago. Not really churning, but we have flip-flopped every 13 months or so.

• Did the £60 get refunded pro-rata?

• Didn’t even get charged. We did it all before they cut the first statement.
        £450 didn’t get charged either.

But I assume yes, the upgrade form says that it’ll get refunded pro-rata.

• At last! A report from someone confirming this works. Bravo, sir / madam.

• Does this strategy work if the person being referred has held a Membership Rewards Card in the last six months?

10. Shoestring says:

O/T – only a few days until April 6th to see if you can beat the Virgin ISA offer for new ISA investments in fiscal 2019/20. Will Orbis repeat their offer???!!!

With Virgin ISA, you can count on 8000 Virgin miles turning up again soon – new customers only – so about £80 return in miles for a 6 month commitment. Let’s hope your ISA keeps up.

With Orbis, last year I got a matched £100 offer – invest minimum £100 and Orbis would match it with another £100. Minimum 12 months but no further contributions needed. Good as their word. In fact: all good – as well as the £100, I think we’re up 12% currently.

Will Orbis repeat the offer next week? – since you can’t get the Virgin ISA offer twice, could be interesting if they do.

Anybody who wants a serious ISA, investing more than my £100 punt (!) – Orbis have outperformed the market consistently over the last 10 years and have an innovative (fair & cheap) fee structure, I’m impressed. https://www.orbis.com/uk/individual/home

• Freddy says:

Surprised there hasn’t been any incentives yet. Waiting on orbis, failing that virgin bonus miles! I remember last year there were multiple offers around this time

11. KBuffett says:

OT – what options do I have to move my wife’s Amex MR points over to something in my name?
    I want to close her account. I’d rather not move then to BA Exec Club as I have a lot of points there already. I have Hilton, Marriott, but not sure if I can move them into my name?