BA Sale

Amex Platinum is letting you order a metal replacement card – and a quick benefits reminder

The new American Express Platinum fee and benefits package kicked in yesterday.  You are now looking at a £575 annual fee, with the carrot of a £10 monthly Addison Lee credit and a metal card.

When we originally wrote about the launch of a metal card, I joked that American Express would be facing a large number of claims from existing holders of The Platinum Card who had ‘lost’ or ‘damaged’ their old plastic one.

As it happens, this isn’t necessary 🙂

New American Express Platinum card

If you log in to your American Express account, click on Account Management and then Order A Replacement Card, you now see this option (click to enlarge):

How to order an American Express Platinum Metal card

Select Replace Metal Card and a new card will be sent out to you ASAP.

Don’t forget to register for onefinestay

There is one other thing to note.

The Addison Lee benefit of £10 credit per month is automatic.  Remember to use code RIDE8 on your first trip, which gives you an £8 saving as long as you spend over £15.

However, the 2nd new offer – $200 cashback on every onefinestay home rental you book – requires registration.

onefinestay American Express Platinum

The registration link is on the same page as registration for all of the hotel and car rental status upgrades.  You need to log in and go Benefits & Help (top menu) and then Platinum Benefits.

Scroll down to where it offers onefinestay enrollment and you will be taken to a screen like this (click to enlarge):

American Express Platinum benefits

…. where you can see which Platinum benefits you are registered for.  Onefinestay has been added to the top row.

Review of Oman Air's flagship Business Class lounge in Muscat
Hilton has quietly increased the points price of three London hotels

BA Sale

Comments

1. Hi All, Does the Addison Lee benefit of £10 credit per month also work if charged to the Supplemental card?
    Also is it £10 per card or £10 total per month?

2. Andrew says:

I wonder if cash machines are set up to take the metal cards – I can imagine them getting stuck in there as the machine’s safety features mistake it for a foreign object.

3. Mark2 says:

I shall be upgrading Green to Platinum soon (mostly for referrals).
    Is it possible to ask for a light plastic card rather than the heavy metal version?

• Indeed, having read of lots of issues with metal cards before I was hoping they’d keep a plastic card option. Perhaps the additional card in your own name may stay plastic?

• I lost my metal Curve last week. It has flown out of my wallet numerous times due to the weight but I always heard it drop. This time I didn’t, as I was in a taxi. Driver called Curve to report it, which was good of him.

• I suppose you could order a supplementary gold on your platinum account and just use that. Find a drawer for your metal card?

4. Harpo says:

Just had a very weird (and worrying) experience. On the replace metal card page I was given three choices of names of account to choose from – none of whom were me or anyone I’d ever heard of! I pressed refresh and got the “We apologise but your request to replace this Card requires you to contact us.” message

• I had someone else’s HHonors number linked to my account! Quite worrying.

5. Harry T says:

I failed to appreciate that a replacement card would have a new number and obliterate my saved offers. Looks like I won’t be having as much fun at Morrison’s as I’d planned!

• Jonathan says:

They disappear from your online account/app but my experience is they still credit. Unfortunately you just can’t see the details or end date so screen shot any you’ve registered for before requesting replacement card.

• Harry T says:

Thanks, they’ve reappeared on my phone app now, although my MR balance isn’t displaying. I suspect all will be okay once I activate the new card when it arrives tomorrow.

• SimonW says:

Mine have disappeared from desk top but are still there to re-add on the app on my phone…..

6. Previously, when a card reached end of life, the advice has been to cut it in half/ pieces – I guess this will be a bit difficult with metal.

Mind you, I assume it is also more environmentally friendly than plastic

• Alex M says:

I imagine how much more energy it required to mine that metal and produce the card. I am also pretty sure it will not be recycled and will just go to wasteland eventually. I don’t think it is more environmentally friendly.

• mradey says:

Centurion cards can be sent back to Amex for recycling – they will send out an envelope with prepaid postage.

I keep my cards, building a rather nice collection of Titanium.

mradey

• PaulC says:

I’ve always said I don’t know how people manage without a good vice and decent hand tools.
      Household essentials now to include a hacksaw and vice for destroying old Credit Cards. HaHa

• Pierre says:

So many uses for a metal card with a little bit of DIY:
        Ice scraper
        Cheese or butter knife
        Cellphone stand (might require more than one metal card though)
        Multitool business card
        make-up mirror

Any other ideas? 🙂

• Spurs Debs says:

Chopping a line of coke … maybe ask Certain MP’s the best way to go about that.

• xcalx says:

“So many uses for a metal card with a little bit of DIY:
          Ice scraper”

Not the greatest idea metal on glass, as I found to my cost when one frosty morning I had the light bulb idea to use a wallpaper scraper on windscreen.

7. Am I covered?

Applied to upgrade from Green to platinum last week. Was approved and my green card disappeared from my online account and was replaced by a platinum, even though I still as of this morning have not received my platinum card.

However, I was still able to use my green card and transactions I made showed up on my platinum card online.

Yesterday I paid for a holiday to Spain next week on the green and like other transactions it has shown up on the platinum card account online.

I’m assuming my physical platinum card will arrive before I go.

So even though I have used the green card the holiday looks like it’s been bought by the platinum card I haven’t received yet.

As such, an I covered by all the travel insurance benefits of platinum for this trip?

• Genghis says:

Yes – you’ve used a “card” which is part of your “account”.

8. Steve says:

I didn’t see this mentioned in the original article but the Amex Plat Business membership fee is still £450 and the card is still plastic.

• It is. Will do a separate piece on this at some point.

• Does anyone know if they plan to change the business card to metal? I see the one fine stay benefit is available to register for and have added this to my account.

• It would be weird for a fee difference so big to exist – although Bus Plat benefits are weaker, except for the insurance. No Hilton, Melia, Shangri-La etc.

• Do the priority pass cards one the business card allow a free guest? They used to but I’m sure I read that this is no longer the case. For me that’s quite a decent benefit

• Yes you get 1 free guest – tested multiple times this year

• I genuinely lost my card last night. Called up to my surprise she said your new business card will be issued in metal. I’ll see Tuesday

9. The Streets says:

I love how they are still advertising 18,000 points to refer a friend in the Benefits section of the Platinum Card…. if only this was true!

10. anyone got their metal card yet? I’m not sure whether to trust amex’s timeframes.

11. Enrolment has only one l …

Ha, all this talk of changed benefits and all I can point out is a spelling slip; I must get a life.