Amex Platinum is letting you order a metal card immediately – and a quick benefits reminder

The new American Express Platinum fee and benefits package kicked in yesterday.  You are now looking at a £575 annual fee, with the carrot of a £10 monthly Addison Lee credit and a metal card.

When we originally wrote about the launch of a metal card, I joked that American Express would be facing a large number of claims from existing holders of The Platinum Card who had ‘lost’ or ‘damaged’ their old plastic one.

As it happens, this isn’t necessary 🙂

New American Express Platinum card

If you log in to your American Express account, click on Account Management and then Order A Replacement Card, you now see this option (click to enlarge):

How to order an American Express Platinum Metal card

Select Replace Metal Card and a new card will be sent out to you ASAP.

Don’t forget to register for onefinestay

There is one other thing to note.

The Addison Lee benefit of £10 credit per month is automatic.  Remember to use code RIDE8 on your first trip, which gives you an £8 saving as long as you spend over £15.

However, the 2nd new offer – $200 cashback on every onefinestay home rental you book – requires registration.

onefinestay American Express Platinum

The registration link is on the same page as registration for all of the hotel and car rental status upgrades.  You need to log in and go Benefits & Help (top menu) and then Platinum Benefits.

Scroll down to where it offers onefinestay enrollment and you will be taken to a screen like this (click to enlarge):

American Express Platinum benefits

…. where you can see which Platinum benefits you are registered for.  Onefinestay has been added to the top row.

Review of Oman Air's flagship Business Class airport lounge in Muscat
Hilton Honors has quietly increased the points price of three London hotels

EXCLUSIVE HFP READER OFFER FOR SME's!
Get points worth 15,000 Avios as a sign-up bonus!
OFFER ENDS 13th JULY
15,000 Avios with Capital on Tap Mastercard

Comments

1. Website still refused to play ball, so called to request a replacement in the end… and they sending via DHL to me in the US at no cost to me, so at least I get to enjoy the metal one for a month or two before switching to the better value US platinum.

• Same, I did it using online chat, courier to Australia for no charge, should receive it on 20/6 (ordered 11/6),

• What the point of replacing? Showing off?

• Handy way to spread butter in the lounge if there’s no knives.

In my case, my card’s been damaged for ages, but I only use it to access lounges (never spend on it), so didn’t bother replacing. The metal one being available just prompted me to do it just to see what it’s like, I’ve never had a metal card before.

In any event, who cares why someone else wants the metal card?

2. Andrew says:

AL – Heathrow pick up offer code £10 off – ARRIVALS10

3. Harry says:

Seems like you can’t refer people to the The American Express® Rewards Credit Card? or any of the 3 variants of it?

• Grant says:

No points to be gained from doing so, presumably because there is no fee for those cards.

4. Areeb says:

Just got mine in the post. I called first thing on the 11th.

It’s nice to have but at the end of the day – its still a card…

• Areeb says:

Also – it has this weird plastic type backing where the card number is written. Fairly sure this is going to peel away at some point.

• Shoestring says:

Surely can’t be worse than the new Virgin card – which looks like you printed it on your home printer

• Radiata says:

It does look odd – reminds of old dot matrix printers….

Noted a few quizzical looks when using in the months after initial issue.

• Martin says:

Well, it’s not the printing.
        Name and the numbers are laser engraved.

• Sandgrounder says:

Did it come in a big standard envelope, or in the welcome packaging? How about Plat aupps- anyone had any recent experience? I say this because after I upgraded, my welcome pack didn’t fit through the letterbox, so the postman just left it propped up in the doorway.

• Shoestring says:

propper job, mate

I’ve had that as well, mostly from Hermes, completely useless outfit

here we are delivering your iPad – we left on on your doorstep

also had similar from Royal Mail, sad to say

• johnny_c-l says:

Mine arrived in a normal envelope, no box.

5. Although I can’t order a metal card (I have a business platinum), the benefits page has updated and let me enrol in one fine stay

6. OT: BA 2-4-1 booking. The person I intended to go with cannot go. Can I add someone else to the family & friends list and call BA to change the booking?

• TGLoyalty says:

Yep imagine you will be charged £35 for the pleasure though.

If it’s not a household account you can add anyone you want the friends and family list doesn’t matter

7. We apologise but your request to replace this Card requires you to contact us.

Thanks guys….

8. Does the replacement metal card come with a new card number or is it the same as the existing one?

9. Received my metal card today. Not sure what all the fuss is about!

10. Joe C says:

Metal card arrived today – offers saved on the old card have transferred over to the new one, so that’s handy

11. Tom H says:

Does anyone know whether it is possible to have a damaged card replaced with a plastic one rather than the new metal one? (Not actually keen on carrying around metal cards. They’re a bit heavy and slips out of my rather old wallet with its loose pockets)