BA sale

Bits: PremiAir launching on 21st October at Manchester, Radisson sale launches today, Hyatt does MOXY

News in brief:

PremiAir is opening on 21st October at Manchester Airport

I still find it hard to believe, but the new VIP terminal – open to everyone for a modest fee – is actually happening at Manchester Airport.  The launch date is set for 21st October.

Called PremiAir, it is near the Runway Visitor Park.  It looks like this:

Premiair terminal manchester airport

It can be used by anyone travelling on BA, Qatar Airways, Ethiopian, PIA, Finnair, TAP, Oman Air and Hainan Airlines, irrespective of your class of travel.  Other airlines, most noticeably Virgin Atlantic, have not yet signed up.

For departing passengers, there are two options:

For hand baggage only passengers, you can pay £50 per person and check in at PremiAir.  You will clear immigration and immediately be driven across the airport to your departure gate in a shared vehicle.  You only need to arrive 60 minutes before departure.

For passengers with luggage and/or who want a private lounge, you can pay £100.  You will check in and clear immigration, and then be able to use the lounge in the terminal before being driven across the airport directly to the steps of your aircraft in a private vehicle.

There is also an arrivals service, as well as the ability to book a private suite for your party on arrival or departure.  You can find out more on on the airport website here.  Note that pre-booking is required.

This is clearly something that HFP needs to check out, so expect a review in early November.  Before that, however, Rhys will be trying out the £660 Signature Private Jet Terminal at London Gatwick before an upcoming easyJet flight!

PremiAir terminal Manchester airport

Radisson launches a new Autumn sale

Radisson Hotels, owner of the Radisson Blu, Radisson RED, Park Inn and Park Plaza brands, has launched an Autumn sale.

If you book before 31st October, you can get up to 20% off.  This covers hotels in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

Stays must be taken between 1st November 2019 and 29th February 2020.

Annoyingly, it is too late to combine this with the Radisson Rewards ‘double points and double elite nights credit’ offer because that required bookings to be made by 26th September.

You can find full details, and book, on this special sale page of the Radisson website. (EDIT: the sale is live but the landing page is a mess!  Search and you will see the sale prices.)

Caption by Hyatt

Hyatt launches a new MOXY-style brand, Caption

Hyatt has launched a new brand, Caption By Hyatt.

It was accompanied by what is clearly – with three months still to go – the most OTT press release of the year.  If I tell you that the headline was “A New Brand Designed To Inspire Personal Connection” and that it just got worse from there …….

Cutting through a rainforest of guff, you can expect:

Small rooms (“the efficiency and flexibility of select service, while creating a compelling lifestyle experience that ….  results in superior revenue opportunities”)

A large lobby (“sparking conversation and giving guests and locals alike no choice but to stay awhile”) – see image above

A large multi-purpose cafe, market and bar (“a conversation-worthy food and beverage concept”)

It’s a copy of Marriott’s MOXY, basically.

There’s nothing wrong with MOXY.  I like MOXY – see my review of the MOXY London Excel hotel here – but it would be nice if Hyatt had just said “we like MOXY and we’re copying it” ……

Oddly there is no announcement of any launch property, although you would assume that Hyatt has already made some signings.  If not, we could be waiting 3-4 years to try Caption.

NEW AMEX: Is the British Airways American Express Accelerating Business Card worth a look?
Book a bargain in the Best Western Winter Sale .... and pick up double points or some Avios or Virgin miles too

Hilton India and SEA sale
BA sale

Comments

1. OT…. Marriott Bonvoy i have some points due to expire in October. If i buy some points does this keep them active or do i have to stay?

2. Spaghetti Town says:

Anyone else having issues getting amex webchat to work?

3. Tom Cook says:

OT – had an issue is CE to Palma where no food was loaded so I lodged a complaint. British Airways have offered 5000 avios per person on the booking (there were three of us). Not bad I guess to get 15k.

• Shoestring says:

yep 5000 would have been OK by me as well, there are plenty of calories in booze so more than one way to load up

• Check the 5000 Avios get deposited in you accounts. Same happened to us on a flight MAD-LHR email stated the avios had been deposited. It was about 4 months later I noticed no Avios had been added.

4. OT, Is there a way keeping me and my Partners Avios in my BA household account and using the other Avios I have in my household from the other members of my household account? I do not have an Iberia account as yet but I could open one.
    I was able to do this with my Avios.com account but that avenue has closed.

• Shoestring says:

avios.com still going, eg AerClub, so you can switch out your Avios, use up the rest, then switch yours back

• No it hasn’t.

Open an Aer Lingus or Vueling Club account for you and your partner. Move your Avios to avios.com using your Lingus or Vueling number. Make your redemption from BAEC. Move back.

5. OT I have nearly completed my spend on the IHG credit card to achieve Spire Elite. When does the upgrade of status expire? I don’t have any IHG stays planned so was thinking of keeping my points under the threshold until early next year when I will have planned stays so maximising the length of the Spire Elite status.

• Your points will reset at the beginning of the calendar year.
      The status you achieve this year will run for the remainder of the current year and all of the next year.
      Don’t keep your points under the Spire threshold this year otherwise you will have to start from scratch in 2020, so do whatever spend you need now (and before your December statement date) to hit Spire in 2019, and keep it to the end of 2020.

6. The Savage Squirrel says:

£660 Private Jet Terminal -> Easyjet I’m sure was done deliberately; the humorous touches that add personality like this are what I love on this site – make Rhys slum it in Ryanair as the joke works even better :P.

7. The article on the VIP terminal at Manchester is factually incorrect. Departing passengers do not “clear immigration” at UK airports, immigration controls only apply to arriving passengers. Check-in staff checking you have a passport valid for your journey is not an immigration control.

8. Shoestring says:

Good point from Simon Calder re: passports. We already know that if no-deal Brexit happens on 31st October, UK passports must immediately comply with the rule that says no passport can have more than 10 years’ validity, therefore passports expire 10 years after issue (and any extra months added on from the previous passport are void) – plus to travel to the EU, UK passports must have 6 *VALID* months remaining on entry.

However – SC notes – children’s passports are issued for 5 years, so if you have extra months added on from the previous passport, they are still valid months as the passport never had anything close to 10 years’ validity.

This helps my daughter, who has about 6 months extra on her 5 year passport 🙂

• Am I understanding this correctly then: my current passport which has 10y + extra months is only valid for travel to the EU in event of no deal for 9y plus 6m from the date it was issued regardless of the stated expiration date?

• Shoestring says:

Correct.

• Thanks Harry

• I’m traveling to Vienna in December and will need a new passport in the event of no deal, even though it is currently valid till the end of May next year! I’m reluctant to chance it and wait till October 31st as there may then be a mad rush of people renewing.

9. David D says:

Email received from Manchester Airport regarding PremiAir now includes 32 airlines from opening date on the 21st October.

• Still no Virgin Atlantic! Although I think US immigration rules are part of the problem.

• David D says:

I’d agree if it was not for American and United are available to choose. I can imagine they will have some form of provision for US security procedures though it would be interesting to see if it is.