Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Good British Airways World Traveller Plus flight deals from Switzerland to North America

British Airways is currently running some aggressive World Traveller Plus deals from Switzerland (Zurich, Geneva, Basel) to North America.

The cheapest destination seems to be Montreal, which is coming up at £556 return (CHF 708):

British Airways World Traveller Plus deals

Similar deals, all under £625, are available to New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Toronto, Chicago, Miami, Tampa and Orlando.

You need to travel by the end of November, with best availability in the Autumn.

Rhys recently reviewed British Airways World Traveller Plus.  Remember that all World Traveller Plus tickets can be upgraded, however cheap they were, to Club World or Club Suite.  You need Avios availability in business class, and some additional surcharges will be due.  It is possible to just upgrade one leg if you are short of Avios or are happy with World Traveller Plus for the oubound day flight.

World Traveller Plus sale deals

World Traveller Plus is also a very generous source of Avios and British Airways Executive Club tier points.

This HFP article lists all British Airways routes and the tier points they earn.  World Traveller Plus earns 90 tier points each-way compared with just 20 tier points each way for the cheapest World Traveller (economy) tickets.  One return flight puts you more than half-way to Bronze status.

In terms of Avios, as an example World Traveller Plus to Washington Dulles earns 3,672 Avios each-way.  This compares to just 918 Avios each-way for the cheapest World Traveller (economy) ticket.  You would also earn Avios and tier points from the (economy) legs from Switzerland to London.

To maximise your miles when paying, your best bet is the British Airways American Express Premium Plus card which earns double Avios (3 per £1) when you book at ba.com or via BA Holidays.  You do not get double Avios if you book with the free British Airways American Express card.  Another option is American Express Preferred Rewards Gold which offers double points – 2 per £1 – when you book flight tickets directly with an airline.

Take a look at our recent article on the top 10 reasons why we like the FREE British Airways American Express credit card.

You can learn more about World Traveller Plus on ba.com here.

Comments (150)

• Dan says:

OT but BA related.

I am trying to trigger the BA offer for the 3000 avios (spend £300 or more). I made two seperate transactions: the first £237 with BA.com but the second has come up on my Amex App as BA.com Finland for around (£244). Will the second transaction count towards this offer. When I paid, it came up in the app as euros but when it is processed it is showing as pounds (but with the breakdown in conversion)??

Got 2 weeks before the offers expires but just don’t want to make a rookie error and not get avios!!

• Dan says:

Unfortunately got the answer to my own question through Amex Chat and the 2nd transaction is not eligible so will have to think of a way to spend 60 quid of so with BA in the next 2 weeks

• Lady London says:

Cancel the second one for free if you’re still within 24hrs

• ali says:

2x reward flight savers or a cheap hand baggage only weekend hop to the continent should do the trick

• meta says:

You won’t trigger the offer as the second payment was in euros. It’s only valid on transactions directly in pounds.

• MattB says:

Shoestring – I’ve lost track of insurance opportunities….just cancelled my HSBC through More than after cashing out £100 to avios, and also my virgin life policy (should have done that one 10 months ago but still got the 10k virgin miles for around £35).

Did the pet ones for me and the wife yesterday, any other half decent opportunities for us thirty something’s??

• Spurs Debs says:

April 1st has come early. Ignore the idiot.

• Lady London says:

Hmmm misogynist, racist, ageist, classist. Good going mate.

Always remembering getting the ‘wrong’ person in customer service can be useful too. Like the fabled ‘Dennis’ in British Midland CS.

• BJ says:

OT @Shoestring, I just got the request to choose my L&G giftcard via post. A bit surprised it was not via email. I remain hopeful we will boost our returns by receiving them early. Last time I did it the giftcard arrived within a month of choosing IIRC.

• nick says:

Struggling to cancel the Virgin Premium Card – my statement is due to be generated tonight (midnight) with the new £160 view

I called last week to cancel – paid off outstanding amount using a debit card. Still pending 3 days later. Virgin said they cannot close until clears.

Crazy system – i have a feeling I will struggle to get my £160 back if it appears overnight.

• Andrew says:

Why you did you choose to settle by debit card rather than by Faster Payment? The latter would be for near immediate value where time was of the essence.

• Charlieface says:

They’re talking garbage. FCA rules say they must let you close a credit card or other ongoing loan and pay off at the standard payment date.
      You have a good case for compo if they charge you.

• BJ says:

OT: Anybody else having a problem with RFF premium alerts? While I am receiving them, they are not accurately reflecting the availability on RFF itself over the last day or two.

• Martha says:

Data point.
    Tried to change an avios booking for inbound once outbound was flown. Booked in first with only PE available on the day I want to change to available. Will cost £50 and no refund on avios.
    Where possible I will book as 2 one ways to avoid this in future.

• Mikeact says:

This has always been the recommended way to go…far more flexibility.

• Jonathan says:

Depends where you’re flying. Two one ways to North America will cost substantially more in carrier surcharges than a return. Going East there may be a saving as 2 one ways.

• Mikeact says:

Maybe, but I like the flexibility to be able to cancel/change while away. We’re on a one way with BA shortly, to L.A….with the companion voucher it is still great value for money going Club, compared to cash.
        Probably come back Delta…around €11 charges, each.