See The Who in concert with your IHG Rewards Club points

If The Who was ‘talking about your generation’ (see what I did there?) then IHG Rewards Club has some good packages to see the band at The SSE Arena at Wembley on 8th April.

Via the IHG Access platform, there are three ‘buy it now’ options available.  There is no auction involved.

You can redeem for:

VIP packages @ 50,000 IHG Rewards Club points: Two Terrace Seat tickets, fast track entry to the venue, casual 3 course set menu including drinks at the arena’s Empire Bar & Grill Restaurant, lounge access and 1x free drink voucher per person

See The Who with IHG Rewards Club

Club packages @ 30,000 IHG Rewards Club points: Two Club tickets, fast track entry to the venue, lounge access with 2x drinks vouchers and 1x food voucher (choice of burgers, salad, sandwiches) per person

Standard packages @ 20,000 IHG Rewards Club points:  Two general admission tickets

If you are willing to take the risk of winning an auction, there is also a VIP package which comes with a night at the InterContinental Park Lane.  There are no bids so far.

You can redeem on the IHG Access site here.

PS.  If you missed it, take a look at our recent article on the top 10 reasons to get the IHG Rewards Club Premium Mastercard credit card.

End of an era as Virgin Atlantic stops its free Upper Class chauffeur service
Get a 50% bonus when you buy Marriott Bonvoy hotel points

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. OT:
    I booked two QantasLink flights from Sydney to Hobart over the phone with BAEC (can’t book online). The CS lady told me that she was having difficulty ticketing them but they were booked and I would receive an email when they were ticketed. I haven’t received an email, and it has been a few weeks, but I can see e-ticket numbers in the BA app and when I look at the booking on FinnAir Plus. Have I been ticketed?

Tried to ring BA but obviously lines have been busy.

• If there’s an e-ticket number and you’ve been charged, then you’re good to go I would say.

• Thanks, probably just the usual BA IT woes. Qantas will let me pay for seat selection so surely that’s something!

2. OT
    re Morrison’s Amex statement credit at various rates.
    I went in this morn to the largest of the three stores that I use for gift cards and was pleasantly surprised to find One4All cards on the rack.
    I have bought these before from the Post Office when they had Amex offers and found them very useful. They can be used at a large number of retailers and restaurants see here https://www.one4all.com/retailer.html
    Includes B&Q who do not take Amex.

• remember that they take 24 hours to activate

• I popped in to one of the local Morrison’s this morning and they don’t sell ANY gift cards. Or else they’d heard about the Amex offer and put them all in the back till it expires…

• was that a full-sized store or a small local store?

• Shoestring says:

Morrisons sold M Local in 2015

I thought all the normal size M’s have got the giftcard racks? on an aisle end, typically

• Me too – it’s one I haven’t been in before so when I couldn’t find them I asked a member of staff and she said they don’t stock them. Very odd.

• It would be very useful if you could order them with a grocery delivery!

• Secret Squirrel says:

My local M has restricted one GC per purchase now, just keep doing largest amount one after the other.

• Jonathan says:

The one gift card restriction is store and gift card dependent. It’s to do with HMRC scams where (predominantly old) people were being fooled that they had a large tax liability and asked to pay it off with gift cards. Quite how anyone can believe that is a legitimate request I don’t know but according to the Duty Manager I spoke to they’ve had hundreds of cases nationwide. As soon as I confirmed I wasn’t being asked to pay a tax bill with gift cards he overrode the limit.
            Usually the restriction only applies to gift cards that can be redeemed remotely ie. John Lewis & Amazon. You can buy as many pizza express etc as you like.

• Interesting note on the One4All website:-

The 5th Anti-Money Laundering Directive, which took effect on 10th January 2020, restricts the sale and use of anonymous prepaid cards (including the One4all Gift Card) in two key ways:

Classic ‘swipe to spend’ One4all Gift Cards sold after 10th January 2020 are limited to a maximum balance of £120 per card; and
      Online transactions with a One4all Gift Card are limited to £40 per transaction after 10th January 2020

Be careful bulk buying for a large purchase.

• Personally I would not put more than £100 onto a gift card as they are like cash if you lose them, or probably if you loose them.
        Also note that not all cards can be used online (marked on site).

• Lady London says:

Rather pathetic limits, surely, these days? What is the government trying to achieve by this?

• an EU Directive so no choice.

• Could be wrong but I think Directives are only binding insofar as how member states chose to deploy them as opposed to regulations which are legally binding? If so, then there are definitely choices.

• Lady London says:

IIRC there are 3? different levels of EU legislation the UK would receive to adopt. If it came through as a “Directive” then this was the harshest level and the UK had no choice it had to adopt. IIRC could delay up to 5 years max before adopting a Directive. The other 2? levels had more optionality.

• You’ve got this the wrong way around. A Regulation is a law, that must be followed pretty much verbatim. The Directive is much more the guidelines and should be adjusted to allow the specific legal framework in practice in the Member State, like differences of Civil vs Common Law.

Nevertheless, without reading the Directive it would be fare to say there would be limited leeway with the limits and I imagine it varies only slightly across MS.

3. Interesting move by Etihad. Of course they will only offer this (and accept any bids) where they have free seats available, so they presumably can’t lose. However you may well end up paying for something you would have got, or been able to move to, anyway if the loads are that light*. If you had a paid seat selection you may well end up losing it in order to have your free neighbouring seats. I wonder how many people end up down the back of the plane as a result when they wouldn’t have opted to bid had they realised that would be the outcome.

*Like our LH flight back from Hong Kong on Saturday – 9 out of 32 seats taken on the 747 upper deck!

4. OT. Apologies. Need some inspiration for 2021 summer holiday (perhaps September) for hotels on points (IHG, Hilton, Marriott, avios – i.e. Iberostar if that route is still going) within Europe (ideally) but willing to travel a bit further.

Our son will have just turned two so cot / rollaway bed needed. We’re looking for somewhere “nice”, pool, close to the beach, where we can stay for a week or so. I’ve got my eye on a few Mr and Mrs Smith properties but pricing still TBC.

Any ideas?

• That’s gone fast! Enjoy it before he starts school and you are pretty much stuffed for good deals (though this is where avios and 2 4 1 vouchers really come into their own, which softens the blow a bit). If he’s a good traveller, the USA is very family friendly and you have hotels like Homewood Suites by Hilton or Residence Inn by Marriott which admittedly aren’t the height of luxury but are incredibly handy when you travel with children. We’ve found that having kitchen facilities is a godsend as children often don’t want to eat hotel/restaurant food or at normal meal times. If you want more resort-type locations, I think some Hilton Vacation properties are more apartment-style. Also some Holiday Inns have suite-style accommodation with self-catering facilities (there is even one in GCM which must be the most expensive HI on the planet!) Additionally, you get a bit of extra privacy once they get a bit older if you have a separate sleeping area to the main bedroom.

As a minimum with a small child I’d need a fridge, microwave and kettle, and the more room to stash all their stuff the better! Also remember that he’ll need his own seat on the plane once he’s two.

• Shoestring says:

September is still fantastic weather most years Iberian peninsular, Greece/ Turkey and up through Central Europe, Italy

• Absolutely but not sure about opportunities for award nights in suitable properties? Rob has certainly written about Spain and Portugal but I don’t think they have huge numbers of Hiltons and Marriotts. The Domes resorts always sound amazing, are they part of Bonvoy?

• Domes Miramares in corfu and the Edition in Bodrum are two I’d reccomend. Not sure about suitability for children but there’s quite a few reviews online.

• Basilicata – in the Acquafredda Mararea area.

• Have you been to Conrad Algarve?

• Not sure how big the chain presence is but Croatia is great – especially the islands and along the coast… weather still good in september..

• Hilton Dalaman in Turkey. Reviews seem excellent. BA fly direct to the airport, 4.5hrs flight. The weather will still be good in September. It’s all inclusive but you can pay to eat at nicer restaurants. It’s by the sea.
      I think it has everything you want.

• Westin Costa Navarino, my kids are now 6 and 7 and we have been going for most years since they were born. I cannot recommend it enough and September is a great time, the weather is still warm and the resort is quiet.

LST

• Thanks all. Some good ideas. Wife not too keen on Turkey (we’ve been before), been to Croatia which is great. Not been to Conrad Algarve but going to Porto and Douro Valley again this year and wife wants something different. Westin Costa Navarino looks an interesting option. Thanks.

5. OT Virgin Atlantic Rewards+:
    Has anyone managed to get the bonus after 6 months?

• You mean manage to get it a second time after not having had a card for 6 months+? I’d be interested to know that too….

• Shoestring says:

people already posted they got it but they didn’t use all the same details such as email address

6. Shoestring says:

[The Royal Mail has said it will increase the price of first class and second class stamps by up to six pence.The postal firm said the price of a first class stamp will jump 6p to 76p and the price of a second class stamp will rise 4p to 65p from March 23.]

horrible increase – go buy a few books of stamps before the increase kicks in

far better to save 8% here than try to get better than 1.35% on Marcus (which – I note – decreased a bit yesterday!)

• It’s horrendous, a stamp can cost more than a greeting card sometimes (if you buy in bulk at Card Factory like me lol). If I order them from Morrison’s with my groceries will I get 10% off? I know it doesn’t normally apply to stamps but will Amex know?

7. Lady London says:

I’d keep ringing BA if I were you.

8. OT HSBC Premier CC:
    Are the Premier CC & World Elite upgradable/downgradable?

• mr_jetlag says:

If you mean in the same manner as Amex BAPP / Blue, they aren’t – no pro rata refund of annual fee, and I think you have to do separate application and credit check (or at least that was the case for me ca. 2018)

9. Shoestring says:

good news: Scientists discover new antibiotic that kills superbugs
    A NEW antibiotic capable of overcoming superbugs has been discovered, raising hopes for the first effective new bacterial treatment for decades.
    Scientists used artificial intelligence (AI) to screen more than 100 million chemical compounds to try to find molecules effective at killing E.coli.
    The molecule selected by the machine learning system was able to kill a number of serious infections that have grown increasingly hard to treat in recent years, including Clostridium difficile, Acinetobacter baumannii, Mycobacterium tuberculosis and E.coli.

• Shoestring says:

I have long thought that the best use we could make of our UK overseas aid commitment is to develop effective new antibiotics, all the money could be spent at home to develop drugs to help poor people overseas

• And how is that related to miles and points collection? Sorry but this is way OT…

• Shoestring says:

we’ll live longer to collect points?

• Lady London says:

Might need it for coronavirus mutations so we can all travel again

• Shoestring says:

OK Alex M – I apologise for the deeply O/T but I got excited about something

reminds me of the time my wife – who reported to me at the time – broke into my office and gushed: ‘a [European] has found the cure for cancer!’ (ie one of her lot)

that must have been round about 1998

• I’m excited too Harry, and am currently raising my glass to Skynet or whatever they’re calling AI these days.
          Although it feels wrong.
          I now feel I was misled by alarmist 90s films.
          I did like the nod to Hal though!

10. Shoestring says:
    • Secret Squirrel says:

Passengers screaming on Ryanair flight during recent storm is more entertaining! 😂

11. VentureLog says:

O/T as bits: A long-time HFP reader, but the first time I’ve been caught up in a flight cancellation (due to Storm Ciara) – any advice on the following would be sorely appreciated as I must admit to being a little in the dark in terms of where I stand, even though I have done my best to educate myself via FT.
    The situation is this: My Flight was cancelled whilst in Malta. I tried getting in touch with BA to arrange for the next flight without joy, via Phone, Internet, the BA app and eventually ended up at the Malta Airport to find no BA representative there. With the help of other passengers i was able to book a flight for the next day on EasyJet. This meant spending for overnight accommodation\transport meals by myself. After returning home, BA have refused the compensation (understandable due to extraordinary circumstances) but also refused to repay for my full expenditure due to cancelled flight (only given £50). Everything i have read suggests that regardless of reason for cancellation, right to care comes in to play (EU 261 article 9) I have been waiting for a few days, but BA have not responded. Any help on the next step? Thank you

• Shoestring says:

did you get a refund on your BA flight?

otherwise, it’s always a tough one when you take matters into your own hands to find alternative way back – you are doing the natural & understandable thing but if you don’t give BA the chance to sort out your situation, they will (often quite rightly) say no compo

not being able to communicate with them wouldn’t cut the mustard

naturally I sympathise with any HFP reader but on the other hand BA are not always in the wrong

yes – you would always be entitled to duty of care from BA even in bad weather but only if your flight were still ‘alive’ ie not cancelled

• Shoestring says:

* by yourself for a refund

• Venturelog says:

Thanks for your reply.
        I’m not sure what the £50 was for. It wasn’t explained. I didn’t agree to any refund for my flight. The flight was cancelled and I was offered a choice to rebook or refund. As I couldn’t do either via any of the communication methods I was left with no choice but to sort myself out.
        It’s not about sympathy, but I’m not sure what would be expected from anyone? Do they sit at the airport until a BA representative turns up? or try and call them on a line that kept disconnecting them? Or try and use the internet and app to rebook which also keep coming up with errors?
        So is this a lost cause to pursue it?

• Shoestring says:

you can definitely pursue it but don’t under any circumstances ask for a refund in the meantime

don’t worry about the £50 – it was probably a gesture and will be over & above any compo

you’ll have to argue that communication was impossible & you had no other reasonable recourse than to re-book yourself on another airline, you’d probably need to take it to MCOL, you’d probably win ie BA would settle

ie claim all duty of care + difference in cost between the tickets, no bad weather compo

• Venturelog says:

• Lady London says:

+1 you are owed duty of care and they were impossible to contact.

What were they expecting you to do? Ask them where you were supposed to sleep that night according to their wishes by email? Did they send a hotel voucher or link to book one with their email cancelling the flight? easyJet provide a link to their website where this can be done. No, I’m guessing British Airways hoped if they just said rebook or refund, with no easy way to contact them and no link you’d take the refund letting them off the hook for duty of care.

The airline is legally obliged to inform you of your rights in this situation sounds like they didn’t. Get them on that. You are going to have to work a bit because logically you could have stayed in hotel 3 meals a day till you could contact them to effect your choice of being put onto another flight. You saved them money and time booking yourself on easyJet. Your reward will be they will refuse to reimburse you.

I’d gather my evidence of not advised of my rights at the time by them, all the evidence of the numbers of ways I tried to contact them, submit the claim and do a moneyclaim attaching all this if not reimbursed in 8 weeks max.

If it happened as you say we have to hope a reasonable judge would take account of the position BA put you in and order a full reimbursement. Small claims court decisions are not binding on other cases but it would be a start

• Jonathan says:

Were you not automatically rebooked on a flight? Understandably this is often not a convenient time/date in which case you need to try & swap online (often doesn’t work) or call up. Clearly in situations with mass cancellations the phone lines will be very busy so in the absence of having access to the Gold or Silver lines the best thing is to try & contact an overseas office. Google BA Japan/USA depending on time of day in those countries & call on Skype.

BA will pay for hotels & food/transport until your rearranged flight & they’re probably the most reliable airline at paying these as well as allowing you to sort yourself out at up to £250/night vs. EasyJet who will force you to stay in the cheapest hotel they can find.

I’d say you got a duff CS agent or it wasn’t clear what you were asking for so submit request again asking for reimbursement of £x for accommodation & £y for food. Don’t mention compensation or ask for cost of alternative flights as you won’t get it & it clouds the issue.

Lesson for the future: don’t unilaterally book a flight with an alternative carrier unless you’re prepared to cover cost yourself. May be worth checking travel insurance to see if it will cover you in this situation.