Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

News: British Airways adds Bengaluru flights, last call to earn 6000 Avios from Accor Hotels

News in brief:

British Airways launches additional Bengaluru flights

British Airways is increasing its services to Bengaluru for the Summer as it reallocates aircraft freed up from the suspension of China services.

Bengaluru flights will increase from seven to 10 per week from 23 April.

The additional services will depart Heathrow in the late evening on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.  Tickets, including Avios seats, are bookable now on ba.com.

Accor 6000 points promotion

Last call – earn 6,000 bonus Avios (or €120) for 3 x 2-night Accor stays

You only have four days left to book this generous deal.  Accor Hotels, which owns Novotel / Ibis / Mercure / M Gallery / Sofitel / Pullman / Raffles / Swissotel / Fairmont etc, is offering 6,000 bonus Avios or €120 of hotel credit.

You will earn 6,000 Avios (or a variable pile of other airline miles or 6,000 Accor Live Limitless points) if you complete three x 2-night stays at Accor properties before 7th June 2020.

The snag is that you must book your stays between now and Friday 6th March. You need to book via the Accor website or a corporate travel agent. Stays booked via hotel wholesalers such as Expedia, Hotels.com, booking.com etc will not count.

Existing bookings do NOT count. These need to be cancelled and rebooked.  Only bookings made after you have registered (link here) are eligible.

What is the bonus?

The bonus is dropped into your account in the form of 6,000 Accor Live Limitless points:

Your first 2-night stay comes with 500 bonus points

Your second 2-night stay comes with 2,500 bonus points

Your third 2-night stay comes with 3,000 bonus points

Whilst the Accor website for this promotion focuses on taking points, you can convert your 6,000 bonus points (plus base points) into airline miles. For the main programmes I write about, the conversion rates are:

Flying Blue 2:1

British Airways Executive Club Avios: 2:1

Iberia Avios: 1:1 (so don’t convert to BA!)

Emirates Skywards: 2:1

Etihad Guest: 2:1

Miles & More: 2:1

The secret with converting to Avios is to send them to an Iberia Plus account to get the higher 1:1 conversion rate.  You can then use ‘Combine My Avios’ to move them to British Airways Executive Club.  You can’t transfer out of Iberia Plus accounts until they are 90 days old, so if you open one specifically for this offer then you might have a slight delay before you can move the Avios across.

Earn 6000 bonus Accor Live Limitless points

However, whilst 6,000 Avios is certainly attractive, you need to remember that by converting to Avios in the Iberia programme, you are effectively ‘paying’ 2 Eurocents per Avios compared to taking €120 in Accor hotel vouchers.  The hotel vouchers are therefore a better deal unless you have no plans to use them – although, if all of your Accor travel is through your job, it is very possible that you won’t mind giving up the vouchers.

In all of the other airline schemes you are paying 4 Eurocents per mile which is very poor.  If you are not primarily an Avios collector I would seriously suggest taking the €120 of vouchers instead.

You can find full details of the offer, and the link to register, on the Accor website here. Remember that bookings must be made by Friday 6th March even though you do not need to stay until 7th June.

(Want to earn more hotel points?  Click here to see our complete list of promotions from Accor and the other major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Promos’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

(New to Accor Live Limitless?  Read our two-part overview of Accor Live Limitless here and here and our article on expiry rules here.)

Comments (123)

• Tds says:

OT: No video on my IFE on Wednesday from BNA-LHR in CW. Staff very apologetic etc., tried to reset a couple of times to no avail and they filed the complaint for me. Just had an email from BA CS, 15k Avios added to my account. Is this good? I think I’ve seen comments from people who have received 10k so I’m thinking this is ok. The only other thing I was thinking, my Silver status will expire in April, and virtually no chance of getting that back in the short term, does anyone think there would be any chance of a positive response if I were to say “thanks for the Avios, but actually I’d rather you kept them and extended my Silver status for another year”? My gut’s telling me it would be a waste of time, but just asking in case others think it may be worth it.

• RWJ says:

Have never heard of that sort of request being granted, but equally the only thing you lose by asking is a few minutes typing.

• BJ says:

Yes, 10k is the norm reported for that. Doubt you will get status extension, you could effectively be asking them to swap BA bookings for £150 of avios.

• AndyF says:

I am looking at booking a trip to San Fransico. Has anyone flown into San Jose Airport (San Fran)? It has much more availability, has anyone got experience in how easy it is to get to and from San Fransico from San Jose airport. I’ve looked online but the info isn’t great I’d appreciate someone’s actual experience and any costs you may have had.

Thanks all

• Heathrow Flyer says:

Very easy – Would probably just take an Uber/Lyft.

Could also take train from Santa Clara into SF.

• AndyF says:

I’ve read that but the train seems to be multiple stops and a bus ride to the station (arriving at 7 at night I’m not that pleased about doing). Whilst Uber I am getting really varied pricing estimates online from 60-200 dollars one way. Hence why I’m looking for someone with past experience. thanks though

• Brasov says:

is the bus ride dangerous?

• AndyF says:

Well it is America haha. But in all seriousness that’s why I am asking people who have had a direct experience flying into SJC and getting to San Fran what’s your direct experience it is really welcomed thank you.

• BJ says:

There is a free shuttle to the CalTrain but too much hassle and too long. Same with shared shuttle into Downtown. It’s about 80km away so if you are ok to drive I suggest you just hire a car, drive yourself and return the car Downtown if you have no further neec for it. With USA hire rates it’ll be cheaper than Uber.

• DaveL says:

Hi Andy. I did this 18 months ago. Our flight got switched from SFO direct to a multi-stop, and I decided to rebook to SJC instead. So glad I did. Jumped out, called an Uber and just over an hour later we were in the hotel in downtown San Fran. Just looked up the details for you:
      Cost $75.31
      Time 1 hr 1 min
      Miles 47
      Arrival time was 21.10, so traffic was admittedly quiet. You might have to leave a lot more leeway if you’re going in peak times and of course surge pricing could have a huge effect. But for me, it was seamless and relatively cheap for the convenience.

• Heathrow Flyer says:

Maldives switching to LHR and up-guage to 77W commencing earlier 25th Oct (Half-term).

Avios seats available if you jump in now for Oct Half Term.

• Nando says:

OT Morrisons….

Sorry in advance for asking something thats probably been asked lots

I was in store yesterday and bought some currys gift cards i needed. With regards to the morrisons gift cards and fuel am i correct in thinking do not buy the morrisons ones from the gift card rack and go to a cashier and ask them for gift cards?

Also when buying fuel do you pay inside with cashier also?
    Thanks

• Andy says:

Just buy a plastic morrisons gift card in-store. You’ll need to use it in the kiosk when paying for the fuel. The cashier needs to select the “morrisons gift card” button on their screen before they scan your gift card.

• Travel Strong says:

OT: Curvaceous data points.
    1ry VM Airmiles Savings Acc, MCC = 6012
    HL Interactive Investor ISA Top Up, MCC = 6211.
    Still waiting to verify whether MCC 6211 “Securities Brokers/Dealears” causes any charges on VRewards+.

• TonyG says:

OT.
    Anyone heard of or used Marshmallow car insurance?
    They come out much cheaper in the comparison sites but never heard of them.

• rams1981 says:

OT Lloyds upgrade voucher. If voucher expires in end of April and I don’t know where to go what is my best way to book something which can then be amended if required without losing the voucher – is that even possible?

• DaveL says:

My understanding is that you can’t change the booking once the expiration date has passed. I changed my recently, and they checked to see that it was still in date.

• BA-Flyer says:

When I used my Lloyds voucher, I was told you could still make date changes after the expiry date of the voucher, but if you cancel you don’t get the voucher back.
        What I was not told is that the return flight must have been made within 12 months of the original booking being made. In fact, the agent I spoke to told me the complete opposite.

• DaveL says:

You can never get the voucher back though, expired or otherwise. Change is the only option

• Eli gold says:

I just used my expiring voucher and the agent (Lee) clearly said I can call to make changes without losing the voucher

• Mark says:

O/T. Does the £35 cancellation fee for an Avios ticket apply per seat on the booking or for the whole booking? This is regarding a reward flight saver ticket to Nice for myself, wife and daughter and im wondering if its £35 or £35×3…thanks

• Harry T says:

Applies per person. So 3x£35. However, lately they have only been charging 50p to cancel one ways and £1 to cancel return RFS. Worth clicking through the cancellation process and seeing what your refund is quoted as – you can double check the fee before definitively cancelling.

• Blindman says:

OT
        Trying to get Mrs B across to MEL next week on her lonesome from LHR using FF miles

I can use American Airlines miles to do so or BA AVIOS

Seems like AA is the best as they have lower ££££

What are the best Choices from

Cathay in Economy

Ethiad in Business
        Qatar in Business

Thanks

• Peter K says:

Any long haul business is going to be better than economy, especially on such a long flight.

With the other two, both are good from reports. Qatar fly over Iran, not sure about Etihad. Flight times, stop-over gaps are worth looking at.