All British Airways American Express 2-4-1 companion vouchers have been extended by six months

Finally!

With absolutely zero fanfare – in fact, with no notification of any sort – all British Airways American Express 2-4-1 companion vouchers have been extended by six months.

Here is a screenshot from my account to prove it:

British Airways American Express 2-4-1 vouchers extended by six months

Note that my vouchers were issued in October / November 2019 and so should have expired in October / November 2021.  (This is off a British Airways Premium Plus American Express so the voucher has a 2-year validity.)

Instead, they now expire in April / May 2022.

For clarity, neither of these vouchers has ever been used to book a flight.  They are not vouchers which have been returned to my account following an enforced flight cancellation.

Looking at reader feedback, it seems that all vouchers have been extended.  Even ones which only triggered in the last 48 hours are showing a 30-month validity on Premium Plus cards.  What we won’t know for a few days is whether vouchers triggered AFTER today come through with 24 months or 30 months.

Hopefully you will see the same when you go into your British Airways Executive Club account.

British Airways American Express 2-4-1 vouchers extended by six months

If you want to learn more about how to use it now you have the extension, this Head for Points artice is the definitive guide on everything you need to know about the British Airways American Express 2-4-1 voucher.

If you don’t have a British Airways American Express credit card, here are links to our reviews:

British Airways American Express – sign-up bonus of 5,000 Avios when you spend £1,000 in three months – apply hereour BA Amex review is here – representative APR 22.9% variable

British Airways American Express Premium Plus – sign-up bonus of 25,000 Avios when you spend £3,000 in three months – apply hereour BA Amex Premium Plus review is here – representative APR 76.0% variable including fee based on a notional £1200 credit limit, interest rate on purchases 22.9% variable

PS.  If you missed it, take a look at our recent article on the top 10 reasons to get the British Airways Premium Plus American Express card.

The new HFP chat thread - Tuesday 24th March
Bought a BA Holiday, 'flight and hotel' or 'flight and car' package? You are losing your right to a cash refund.

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. I have redeemed a voucher for flights to Costa Rica but chances of having to cancel the trip looking increasingly bleak. It was due to expire in June 2021. When/ if I have to use it on another, later flight, will I get an extension in those circumstances?.

• Check My account > eVouchers. You should see it has 6 months added. I’ve got one currently attached to a booking and this shows up fine.

2. mr_Londoon says:

How soon after you spend 10K, do you receive the voucher?

3. Any news about what is happening to silver/gold cards which would have renewed if current flights hadn’t been cancelled? Apologies for a first world problem

4. Yes, I confirm that my voucher issued in August 2019 now expires in February 2022, and that my voucher issued in October 2018 now expires in April 2021. Good news!

5. Excellent news to wake up to, just logged in to see mine extended till May 2022 🙂

6. Paul S says:

Virgin has done the same – extract from email sent today
    >>Looking after your Flying Club membership
    To give you peace of mind, we’re extending the validity of any current companion, upgrade and Clubhouse vouchers by 6 months, so you don’t have to worry about them running out.

There’s no need to do anything – these changes have been applied to your account automatically and your existing vouchers will be accepted by our teams. Find out more here.

7. OT (sort of, I’d like to use one of my vouchers!) but there’s no F availability to HND (Cash or Avios) after the cutover to the winter schedule this year. Does BA often use 3 class aircraft on this route for winter?

• I’m afraid there is no more ‘often’ or ‘normal’ – things are going to be very different when we come out the other side of this.

• Harry T says:

They’ve been switching to planes that don’t have First but do have the new Club Suite. I reckon Flyertalk will have more information 😊

8. My 2-4-1 voucher was initially meant to expire in Oct 2019 but it got extended by 6 months due to the BA strike action at the time…..now the same voucher has been extended to Oct 2020……3 year validity…..need to use it soon!

9. Caroline says:

I cancelled a 241 amex reward flight on 12 March online. Voucher was valid until end of April 2020. I thought this would just reappear in my account but it hasn’t. Any idea how to sort? Obviously not wanting to call BA right now but can’t see how to sort myself. TIA

• Darran says:

Hi Caroline, have you received your Avios and taxes back yet? I cancelled a 241 online on the 14th of March and opted for a cash refund to NYC after BA cancelled all BA1 flights from LCY. I have not yet received my Avios back or the voucher and no refund to card for taxes either. Im sure it said on the cancellation page that money would be refunded to card in 5 to 7 days. I will be calling tomorrow as they have also cancelled 3 out of 4 flights for a trip to basle this weekend.

10. Colin MacKinnon says:

241 was expiring in a few days, now have until October 1st.

Had been finding it hard to use given some great fare deals in the past – used the Swiss F deal from the Uk for this winter’s big holiday, Garuda in Business from London to Australia for £1100 the year before.

And to see family in the USA the fees are so high that it was almost pointless – last flight was BA in CW from CDG for £950.

But looking forward to seeing the family in USA in late September once this is all over – so the extension was nice. We’ll be going in F or Club Suite. Well done BA!

• Lady London says:

@Colin how did you get BA to deal with that last leg back to CDG that they cancelled on your long haul return leg?

11. Lee Poedersnall says:

Why are they not extending Gold Upgrade for 2 Voucher please?? Quite mean of BA again.

• Lee Poedersnall says:

Yes that is bad. Why are they not extending Gold Upgrade????

• Lady London says:

I suspect they will get around to it. They are probably doing the vouchers that are held by more people first.