DragonPass removes your ability to buy $10 airport lounge passes via RED by Dufry

Back in January, we covered one of the most popular deals we have ever written about.

You could, by using a code to give yourself 30 days of trial Platinum membership in the RED by Dufry duty free loyalty scheme, order unlimited airport lounge passes for $10 (£7.80) each via DragonPass.

This included the Plaza Premium Lounge in Heathrow Terminal 5 which is NOT available via Priority Pass or Lounge Club.  Even better, the passes were refundable if you ended up not using them.

One thing was not clear at the time.  Your Platinum status in the RED by Dufry scheme was only valid for 30 days.  What would happen at the end of that period?  Would DragonPass remove your ability to buy $10 lounge passes or would it be valid for a year?

We now know the answer.  If you log into your DragonPass account, you will see that you can no longer buy $10 lounge passes.  It will show this:

DragonPass $10 lounge passes

You are now required to pay $27 per pass.

In some cases, $27 is still a decent deal – it is cheaper than booking Plaza Premium in Terminal 5 directly.  It clearly isn’t the same as paying $10 though!

For clarity, the lounge passes you bought for $10 are still in your account and safe to use once travel resumes.

(EDIT: We have now got to the bottom of this.  RED has cancelled the $10 lounge deal for Platinum members, whether on a free trial or having earned their status the hard way, and is making all members pay $27.  This doesn’t make any difference to HFP readers but at least we now know why it happened.)

Getting airport lounge access via a UK credit card

As a reminder, here are the three options to get FREE airport lounge access via a credit or charge card:

The Platinum Card from American Express

Two free Priority Pass cards (one for you, one for your supplementary Platinum cardholder, each admitting two – so a family of four gets in free) giving access to every lounge in the Priority Pass network – search it here.  You also get access to Plaza Premium, Delta and Eurostar lounges.  Our American Express Platinum review is here.

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

You get a Lounge Club card loaded with two free visits to any Lounge Club network lounge – see the list here.  The list is slightly shorter than the Priority Pass list, but not by much.  Additional visits are charged at £20 per person.  You get two more free visits for every year you keep the card.  No annual fee in Year 1.  Full details are in our American Express Preferred Rewards Gold review here.

HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard

You get a free LoungeKey card allowing you access to any property in the LoungeKey network.  Guests are charged at £20 although regular travellers will find it cheaper to pay £60 for a supplementary credit card (adults only, of course).  The card has an annual fee of £195 and there are strict financial requirements to become a HSBC Premier customer.  Full details are in my HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard review.

Lufthansa cuts fleet, says passengers won't come back for YEARS. What could this mean for British Airways?
The new HFP chat thread - Thursday 9th April

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. There’s usually a 3 month trial of Kindle Unlimted as well. There’s not an overwhelming choice of books but if you’re a voracious reader like me it’s handy to have a free, portable library, especially just now.

• Erico1875 says:

Your Prime membership includes a lot of free books via Prime.

• …and not a lot of UK corporation tax to help repay the government bailout schemes.

• TGLoyalty says:

but plenty of NI contributions.

• Yes but still not much Corporation Tax which if they did the right thing – especially given that the worlds highest earner is at the helm – and paid a fair share, it would be considerably more than any NI paid.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

If they paid tax he might not be the world’s richest man. Their position on tax, and his wealth, have not come about by accident.

Hopefully there is a global political will to address this when all governments start to look at their own cash flows.

• Doug M says:

I hate the ‘do the right thing’ line. Tax is not a voluntary contribution. Tax them on all these transfer schemes and make them pay appropriate tax. Don’t ask nicely, legislate.

• Aston100 says:

Pretty sure our governments over the years have had opportunities to do something about tax loopholes but have chosen to ignore for whatever reason.

• Of course. There are a very small number of changes you can make that would end most of it.

• mark2 says:

tax on the profit on free books?

• Lady London says:

I saw stuff years ago saying the only way to collect tax from individuals and corporations we need in the UK will be transaction charges, of which VAT is one, as they can avoid pretty much any other form of tax.

• Callum says:

Granted I haven’t seen it much for a while, but dodgy tax deductions were regularly promoted on here. The only difference is the scale.

2. Erico1875 says:

‘re Audible. 1 audio book a month isn’t really enough ,so you end up buying more
    I spent a fortune on Paul Noble Spanish and German and Pimsleur German.
    You still get to use them after you cancel though.

3. Does anyone know how you actually go about getting a refund for a Dragon Pass voucher that you have purchased? Or do you just automatically get refunded if you don’t use the voucher?

• You need to get them to close your DP account I think which automatically does it. Other readers have done it.

• Tim M says:

I recently removed 14 passes from our Dragonpass accounts, opened via the Red by Dufry offer, that I now will not be able to use. i left 4 passes on each account. Just email [email protected] with your details and request it. The refund arrived back on my card account in a few days.

On the second point – Dragonpass membership extension – I asked about this too. As far as Dragonpass is concerned, membership is free courtesy of Red by Dufry and will remain so. It is Red you have to contact and plead for a temporary reinstatement of Platinum membership on the anniversary of the Dragonpass membership, or some such other means of achieving the same thing,

• Aston100 says:

Based on an email from Dragonpass support, my understanding is that your membership and unused passes get renewed (for free).

• AndyGWP says:

Likewise, using the instructions above I got a refund for 3 of my 8 passes I had

Even made a £1+ profit due to the exchange rate shifting 😆

4. yorkieflyer says:

Any extension to the Dragonpass membership year in the offing I wonder?

5. Dubious says:

RE: DragonPass – the change in price is not limited to status levels.

I still have Platinum Status in Dufry but the price is also $27.
    When I click throught to a lounge there is a statement that says “From March 1st 2020, as a Red By Dufty member, you pay only USD27 per lounge access and enjoy exclusive discounts of up to 15% at airport restaurant [sic] around the world.”

• Interesting, thanks

• My 30 day platinum trial doesn’t seem to have expired nearly 3 months later…however as above the price of lounge passes for platinum members has gone up to $27 (same as for gold and silver).

6. If you sign up to the audible 99p trial does the advert no longer appear when watching YouTube videos? It would be worth it just for that

7. OT: Unfortunately I’ve not been able to stay up to speed as much as usual with HFP lately due to other demands on my time so I hope somebody could advise me the basics of how to resolve this one please. A relative has booked and paid (using another persons debit card) a Jet2 holiday package at a high street travel agent. Does the current FCO advice on travel provide grounds to request a refund in cash now or does she have to wait to see whether Jet2 cancel or operate the flights? If she can apply for refund now but travel agent refuses can the debit card holder (not named/travelling on booking) attempt a chargeback on the payment to the travel agent? If that fails too would moneyclaim gov against travel agent then be an option? What would the situation be if Jet2 operates but FCO continues to advise against nonessential travel? Thanks very much.

• EwanG says:

When is their holiday BJ? Jet2 currently expect to recommence flights on 17 June 2020, so everything before then is cancelled.
      I had flights booked with them this and next weekend, at the end of their winter ski schedule. When all ski areas were closed Jet2 proactively cancelled all ski flights for the remainder of the season and advised they would provide refunds, which I am still waiting for. They have since stated refunds are being processed in date order. Also since then they cancelled all other flights and then for a longer period.

If the current FCO travel restriction extends beyond 17 June I expect Jet2 to resume flights only once restrictions from the FCO and the destinations are lifted.

I think Jet2 have been pretty fair on how they are treating their customers, so get your relatives to sit tight if they can!

• Jet2 has cancelled everything to mid June. Beyond mid June I would expect FCO guidance to be lifted. I can’t see them giving refunds on anything from mid June when they restart.

• The Bits Police :) says:

Try
      The new HFP chat thread – Thursday 9th April
      for OT questions. 🙂

• Thanks @EwanG and Rob, for helpful feedback. I’m inclined to agree that restrictions will be eased and holiday will operate so probably going to be a case of take it or lose it.

• Lady London says:

I think insurance policies often cover costs of withdrawal from a holiday or a flight if the FCO advises against travel so if all elements of the holiday are still able to be provided and no significant change or cancellation of any element is made then they would lose if they did not take it.

I would read the terms and conditions of their holiday very carefully – as assuming it’s covered by ATOL there is more leeway on flight timings allowed to be moved – and watch and wait carefully for a big enough change or any part to be cancelled. Do the same for insurance – there might be an applicable reason for cancelling.

Don’t give up yet unless they would stand to get some more money back by cancelling earlier – but suspect that ship has already sailed so best wait and watch.

8. Trevor says:

Thanks for that Rob. Signed up [I’m a Prime member] but for the life of me, I cannot find how to cancel the recurring payment?
    Ta
    T

• IIRC if you go into “Your Prime”, there are options there to cancel any of your subscriptions.

• Apologies, go into Account, pick “Your Kindle Unlimited” or whatever, scroll down and there’s a button to cancel.

• Though for Audible you may have to sign into that and do it from there. Then they usually try to tempt you to stay with 3 months at half price or similar.

• On desktop, top left, click your name. One of the options is ‘Memberships and Subscriptions’. I am guessing it is there – most of ours are (including my son’s £2.99 Amazon Video top-up for extra Pokemon episodes …..)

9. Trevor says:

My chat with Amazon:
    “Cancellation of Auto renew feature is currently not available in Audible UK.”
    “No if you cancel it today, it will not run through to July.”
    So all good, you just need to remember to cancel within the 3 months….
    Trev

10. Hi all. Anyone have a Dragon Pass membership (£128.00 for 8 visits = £16.00 per visit)
    Reasonable value for the light traveller (ok, not as good as the £7)
    Are you guaranteed access with the membership ?
    T.I.A.

• No guarantees, no. Same as a Priority Pass. That said, outside of certain London lounges it is less of an issue than you might think.

• TGLoyalty says:

Entry isn’t guaranteed. It’s still dependant on the lounge taking walk ins and capacity. Perhaps less of an issue in the upcoming months.

11. I have earnt DuFry Platinum and it is saying USD27 on the DuFry page too.Hopefully the $10 will come back

• Lady London says:

+1 I accidentally earned Duffy Platinum and it’s still showing me USD27 for any new visits purchased too. Still reasonable value.

I’m not too stressed by it as I was moving away from lounges anyway. One door closes, another door opens in this game. Good chance of a few doors opening when things get going again too.

I wonder if these passes can also be used for Regus? Dragonpass has a deal, I saw a few Chinese in there using it when I was regularly in Regus but that’s a long long time ago (and I miss that pass it was darn useful).