Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: Get £5 Amex cashback at Tesco and £50 from NH Hotels, 90 days of free Amazon Music HD

News in brief:

Get £5 Amex cashback on £40 Tesco spend

American Express has launched a cashback deal with Tesco.

You need to check the ‘offers’ section of all of your online statement pages to see if you are targetted. If you are, I recommend clicking ‘save to card’ immediately as this will hit its registration cap of 20,000 cards very quickly. I had it on my Platinum card.

Once registered, you will receive £5 cashback when you spend £40 at Tesco before 30th October.

Even if you normally shop elsewhere, you could quickly pop in and grab a giftcard for use at another retailer you do use.

Remember that Tesco Clubcard points convert to Avios at the rate of 1 Clubcard point (= £1 spent) to 2.4 Avios or 2.5 Virgin Flying Club miles. Find out more at ba.com here and virginatlantic.com here.

Get £5 Tesco cashback from American Express when you spend £40

Get £50 cashback at nhow and NH Hotels

Amex has also launched some additional hotel cashback deals. Most are quite niche, such as 10% back at Apex Hotels.

In terms of value, the best one is £50 cashback on £180 spend at NH Hotels.

It is valid at participating hotels (click here) across Europe, including the NH and nhow hotels in London.

This article explains how to earn Avios at NH Hotels.

Get £50 American Express cashback at NH and nhow hotels

Get a 90 day free trial of Amazon Music HD

Whilst off-topic, this is a good deal. Amazon commission is also a decent income stream for us whilst advertising revenue is down.

Amazon Music HD is a ‘not very well known’ premium streaming service. It lets you stream 60 million songs in high definition with an unspecified number in ultra high definition.

Ultra high definition offers up to 10x the bitrate of standard streaming! Standard high definition is advertised as at least double the standard bitrate.

If you sign up via this link by 19th October you receive a 90 day free trial. After 90 days, if you don’t cancel, it renews at £12.99 for Prime members, £14.99 for Amazon customers or £5 per month for existing Amazon Music subscribers.

Check first your streaming device can handle HD and UHD streams before you sign up.

You can sign up here.

Comments (57)

• Graeme says:

Got Tesco on my BAPP that I’ve had for about three weeks, but not on my partner’s that’s had twice-weekly Tesco shops on for 18 months.

• Anna says:

It’s on none of our cards and I haven’t shopped at Tesco for months apart from one trip to buy B & Q vouchers!

• GEORGE says:

I have a BA AMEX (I don’t shop regularly at Tesco) and its not listed as an offer.

• Jmonty says:

Not on my BA Amex; I often shop at Tesco

• YC says:

Can you stack two amex offers with 1 transaction? It looks like a certain hotel appears on two offers

• Harry T says:

Which hotel? Usually works.

• TGLoyalty says:

Normally yes I’ve stacked offers when they overlap, did small shop and Marriott on Sunday 🙂

I’ve also stacked them when I’ve had the same merchant pop up on two offers past example being Harrods £20 off £100 and £30 off £100 so ended up with £50 off £100.

• YC says:

Interesting! Sett + LHW (3 hotels to pick). LHW terms says book direct on lhw.com so may not work? However, if pay at check out, how will Amex know which channel you originally booked from?

• Harry T says:

Yeah, University Arms and AC Belfast have both been on Shop Small. I was glad I bought a lot of Amex cards and supps with me to Cambridge to profit from half price cocktails.

• Alan says:

No sign of Tesco or NH amongst the 40-odd useless offers on my Plat for random high end London brands I’ll never use (let alone have heard of) and weirdly specific (e.g. Radisson Blu Mercer Street!)

• Oli says:

Has anyone recently had success with buying gift cards on credit card at Tesco? Last time I tried (Jan) my local superstore said I would need to pay for the gift card with a debit card or cash.

• John says:

Go to a different cashier

• mark2 says:

I bought six John Lewis cards at Tesco yesterday with six different gold cards at same cashier.

• Oli says:

Thanks the cashier called in the supervisor to confirm on a quiet weekday morning, told it was ‘new instructions from head office’, I’ll try again today. Got the offer on main and supplementary BAPP, nothing on Platinum or wife’s main/supp BAPP

• Polly says:

Even hot one in a small local tonight, and got the email re used offer. So def works. Get your advice on here.

• Janeyferr says:

Bought £1800 Tesco and £700 Amazon on BAPP during the past month or so. £1000+£200 of that was with one cashier, but in separate transactions. Another then said I could only have 2x£200 at a time, so just did that on a couple of visits. They asked to make sure they were for me, and I wasn’t being defrauded.

• TGLoyalty says:

bought £70 Amazon + some food to trigger off on two cards yesterday

• Lady London says:

always mix those with groceries
      also pick your cashier – @Harry gave the best instructions on this. But if you read the 3am version it might have offended against at least three statutes 🙂

• Sandra says:

Tesco offer on my Gold card but not BAPP

• john says:

Not on my wife’s Gold or my Supplementary Gold (used weekly at Tesco), but is on my Rewards card which I have never used.