Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: Get £5 Amex cashback at Tesco and £50 from NH Hotels, 90 days of free Amazon Music HD

News in brief:

Get £5 Amex cashback on £40 Tesco spend

American Express has launched a cashback deal with Tesco.

You need to check the ‘offers’ section of all of your online statement pages to see if you are targetted. If you are, I recommend clicking ‘save to card’ immediately as this will hit its registration cap of 20,000 cards very quickly. I had it on my Platinum card.

Once registered, you will receive £5 cashback when you spend £40 at Tesco before 30th October.

Even if you normally shop elsewhere, you could quickly pop in and grab a giftcard for use at another retailer you do use.

Remember that Tesco Clubcard points convert to Avios at the rate of 1 Clubcard point (= £1 spent) to 2.4 Avios or 2.5 Virgin Flying Club miles. Find out more at ba.com here and virginatlantic.com here.

Get £5 Tesco cashback from American Express when you spend £40

Get £50 cashback at nhow and NH Hotels

Amex has also launched some additional hotel cashback deals. Most are quite niche, such as 10% back at Apex Hotels.

In terms of value, the best one is £50 cashback on £180 spend at NH Hotels.

It is valid at participating hotels (click here) across Europe, including the NH and nhow hotels in London.

This article explains how to earn Avios at NH Hotels.

Get £50 American Express cashback at NH and nhow hotels

Get a 90 day free trial of Amazon Music HD

Whilst off-topic, this is a good deal. Amazon commission is also a decent income stream for us whilst advertising revenue is down.

Amazon Music HD is a ‘not very well known’ premium streaming service. It lets you stream 60 million songs in high definition with an unspecified number in ultra high definition.

Ultra high definition offers up to 10x the bitrate of standard streaming! Standard high definition is advertised as at least double the standard bitrate.

If you sign up via this link by 19th October you receive a 90 day free trial. After 90 days, if you don’t cancel, it renews at £12.99 for Prime members, £14.99 for Amazon customers or £5 per month for existing Amazon Music subscribers.

Check first your streaming device can handle HD and UHD streams before you sign up.

You can sign up here.

Comments (57)

• David Butcher says:

No Tesco at all on any of my cards nor on my wife’s cards. Would be so much more useful than the eclectic mix of offers from firms I’ve never heard of that are all over our Platinum cards. My £575 is due this month and more than ever before I am in two minds. Will probably cancel next year anyway when I am 70 and lose the insurance benefits, but seriously tempted now to make the break a year earlier. Can’t see much changing over the coming twelve months.

• Harry T says:

Ring up and ask for a retention offer. I received 40,000 MR when I did this last week.

• Andrew says:

Was that in addition to the 20k the provided a couple of months ago or was this your first time?

• Harry T says:

First time

• Andrew says:

Most of won’t be offered anything now as we already took the 20k a few months ago – when it was worth the same as 40k now if you cashed it in (£180). Let’s hope they offer something soon as it’s getting a bit pointless keeping the card, for me at least.

• Steve says:

Word of warning, the 90 day free trial of Amazon Music HD is only showing up as a 30 day free trial for me. Seems the 90 days only applies to the “HD upgrade” element. You’d pay after the first 30 days for access to the service, and only have HD streaming free for the following 60 days. Bit sneaky by Amazon, so I’m leaving it.

• Fenny says:

No Tesco for me. I don’t normally shop there, but spent about £80 in there in several trips for my parents a couple of weeks ago. No NH either, but as I’m not going anywhere other than Sheffield, it’s no great loss.

• TeesTraveller says:

I got the Tesco offer on my Plat card.

The problem with the plat card is that so many of the offers are for brands that in no way fit my lifestyle. I have a decent job and (living in the North) have a low mortgage and decent disposable income but I still shop at normal places like Wilko, Boots and Next (I am still waiting for Greggs to take Amex).

My current Platinum offers: Bremont Watches, Jimmy Choo, Yoko, Emporio Armani, Ralph Lauren, Ermeneglido Zegna
    My current BA Amex offers: Marriott, Hyatt, Gett taxis

• RussellH says:

Absolutely agree, except I have never been to Next (a bit posh for me 🙂 ) either, and have no mortgage at all.
      But yes, I have all those offers, and more, and apart from Jimmy Choo + Ralph Lauren, I would never have heard of them if I had not had Amex cards.
      I just hope that some offers in our kind of shops turn up soon. I got £10 off £40 at Wlko last year, and 2 lots of £5 off £15 at WH Smith too.
      Morrison’s was useful too.

• Andrew says:

It’s all about having using the right card and right partner for the right transaction.

Anyone can choose to get funds return every single day at Argos, Boots, Wilko, Primark, Sazbo’s and more.

I mix and match between Amex, LBG, Airtime and Spree as well as the basic 0.5% return on MBNA.

In Sazbo’s I just check the balance on the self-scanner, transfer money to my Spree card and it’s 3% back every time.

• Harry T says:

I’m in a similar position, where I find the Platinum offers very focussed on London based designer shoppers.

• BlueThroughCrimp says:

Greggs app, top up from PayPal linked to Amex 😉

• Connor says:

Good old Amex. Absolutely no offers on my BA card for the past 5 months.

• Linda says:

Nothing for me on BAPP got chatting to an agent about it on the screen and she knew even less than I !?!?

• AJA says:

I got the Tesco offer! That’s surprising but welcome.

• AJA says:

Does anyone know if Amex will give the 2 bonus Avios from Tesco petrol retrospectively? I went there on the 9th to buy a few items and then filled my car with petrol at the Tesco petrol station attached. I got an email from Amex saying I had used the Amex offer on the groceries but didn’t get it for the fuel. I noticed that it initially showed as Max Spielmann Photography in my pending transactions but it now shows as Tesco Petrol Filling Station on my statement so I should be entitled to 90 Avios since I spent £45.