Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

News: £5-£10 Amex credit at BP garages, 100% bonus buying IHG Rewards points

News in brief:

Get an American Express credit at BP garages

American Express has launched a series of cashback offers with BP garages.

There appears to be two different versions:

• £10 back on a £30 spend
  • £5 back on a £30 spend

The good news is that, if you have multiple Amex cards, you might find – as I was – that you are targeted for both across different products.

All offers expire on 29th August. There is a 51-page list of participating garages provided. It isn’t clear if the credit triggers on food or gift card purchases from the shop but I suspect that it will.

EDIT: 9am – this offer may now have reached its registration cap

BP American Express cashback

Get a 100% bonus when you buy IHG Rewards points (again)

IHG Rewards has launched another short 100% ‘buy points’ bonus, which is as generous as you ever see.  It ends TONIGHT, 30th June.

The page to buy points is here.

You need to buy at least 15,000 points to trigger the bonus. With a 100% bonus, you would be able to buy up to 300,000 IHG points for (at current exchange rates for $1,500) £1,083.

I usually value IHG Rewards points at 0.4pYou are paying 0.36p here so from that point of view you shouldn’t lose money. The skill is to use them at hotels where you can get substantially more than 0.4p per point of value, although this got a little harder since IHG moved towards revenue-based redemption pricing recently. There are definitely deals to be had, however.

You can buy points via this link.

IHG One Rewards update – June 2022:

Get bonus points: IHG One Rewards is offering bonus base points on all cash stays between 18th May and 31st August.  You earn double points on your 2nd to 5th nights, triple points on your 6th to 14th nights and quadruple base points from your 15th night. Our full article is here. Click here to register.

New to IHG One Rewards?  Read our overview of IHG One Rewards here and our article on points expiry rules here. Our article on ‘What are IHG One Rewards points worth?’ is here.

Buy points: If you need additional IHG One Rewards points, you can buy them here.

Want to earn more hotel points?  Click here to see our complete list of promotions from IHG and the other major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.

Comments (59)

• Nate says:

Couldn’t see BP offer on my plat (or supplementary) – unless offer has already been saved by max number of people

• Yorkshirerich says:

No BP off on my blue Free BA card, but there is 5000 bonus avios for spending £200 at Marriott that I haven’t seen before

• Boffinboy says:

No BP on either of my cards. Checked both my BA and Rewards card as soon as the email came yesterday.

• SteveJ says:

Did you get an email directly from Amex? If so contact them on chat they should add it if you can prove you’ve been targeted.

• Ian says:

Nothing on our 6 cards for BP.

• Nick G says:

No BP here either despite spending (only) £50 a week on my gold card at my local BP. Not on any of the 4 cards we have in the house either. I never understand it’s because rob doesn’t drive and never buys fuel so trying to encourage him somehow. Or is it just random and not targetted?

• K says:

BP offer was on both my cards yesterday so must’ve reached limited very quickly!

• Kurt Kraut says:

Excludes people driving cars with Diesel engines apparently…. deemed too smelly, noisy and polluting.

• Mike says:

It definitely doesn’t – I have a very smelly 3.0 diesel

• Kurt Kraut says:

I have a petrol-guzzling V6 I am selling today. No offer though for me either, but don’t need it anymore. Maybe time to squeeze into a sweaty Betty tracksuit…

• Neil says:

I have a gold charge card, BA Premium card and Marriott card and there is not one offer for BP. I never seem to get the decent ones. Now if I wanted to buy a velour track suit from Sweaty Betty then I’m sorted!!

• Jpa says:

They were there yesterday morning but someone put it on the hot offer site very early. I was tipped off by that and they had all gone by lunch yesterday. I know because I missed a card that amex emailed about and the offer wasn’t there about 1pm.

• Andrew says:

Yes deal is now dead – I didn’t save it to all my supps as I won’t use it, but it was there on them all, now not.