Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

It’s a miracle – you can finally move Avios between BA and Iberia if you have a household account

One upside from the long Avios IT migration and subsequent downtime in November is that the long-running problems with ‘Combine My Avios’ seem to have been fixed.

It is now possible to move Avios from British Airways Executive Club to Iberia Plus, or vice versa, in one transaction. This means:

• you no longer need to use avios.com as an intermediary
  • there are no longer any issues if you have a BA Household Account
you can finally move Avios from BA to Iberia, even with a household account

To be fair, some people – those not in household accounts – never had many problems moving Avios directly between BA and Iberia, although the process often threw up IT errors. For everyone else, life is now a bit easier.

How to move Avios from Iberia to British Airways

I tried the process from inside Iberia Plus and it worked fine.

You need to visit the ‘Combine My Avios’ page of Iberia Plus which is here.

Alternatively you can select the ‘Buying or transferring Avios’ option in the main Iberia website menu navigation, and click the link at the bottom:

When in ‘Combine My Avios’, all you need to do is fill in your British Airways Executive Club number and password and the number of Avios you want to move.

You then get this:

…. and the transaction completes immediately.

If it still doesn’t work, the chances are that there is a mismatch between your British Airways and Iberia accounts. A common reason is that, when you opened your Iberia account, you filled in the ‘Surname’ and ‘Second surname (optional)’ boxes incorrectly.

Why would you want to move Avios between British Airways and Iberia?

On the face of it, you might be struggling to think of reasons why you may want to move Avios between BA and Iberia, given that you can book Iberia flights on ba.com anyway.

Here are some good reasons:

• Taxes on Iberia redemptions are far lower when you book the flight via Iberia Plus rather than BA Executive Club. Madrid to New York in Business Class, for example, has £205 of taxes and charges when booked via Iberia Plus but £379 when booked via the BA website. (What happens to the extra £175? BA pockets it.)
  • Iberia makes additional Economy redemption seats available to its own members. These seats are not visible via ba.com. Even better, these additional seats, known as ‘Blue Class’, require fewer Avios than standard Economy redemption seats.

It’s also worth remembering that some Avios redemptions require fewer points via Iberia Plus. Madrid to New York in Business Class, off peak, is 68,000 Avios vs 100,000 Avios for a BA flight from London to New York. You get this pricing irrespective of whether you book your Iberia flight via iberia.com or ba.com – but, as per my first point above, you’ll get ripped off on the taxes and charges if you use BA.

Our full guide to redeeming Avios on Iberia is here.

For clarity, transfers are free, instantaneous and can be done unlimited times in both directions. There is no reason to keep a balance in both programmes.

Comments (54)

• Jonathan says:

Unfortunately the Iberia site won’t let me get past the transfer details .

• Douglas Grimshaw says:

I had months of pain on this – Make sure your detailes EXACTLY match – I had a long phone call with Iberia on this. Once my detailed EXACTLY matched – transfer worked.

• William Benson says:

I attempted to move some Avios, logging in to my Iberia account and get the following message – Sorry, you currently don’t meet the terms and conditions to combine Avios.

Not very helpful as it fails to say why.

• Hellcynico says:

Your account needs to be “active” ie activity in the last 6 months IIRC

• Hellcynico says:

From Award Wallet “Another factor to take into account. Even if your Iberia account is over 90 days old, your account needs qualifying activity every six months to remain active. After six months of no earning or redeeming action, your account is marked dormant, and you cannot buy/gift/transfer points until you earn Avios in that account.”

• Points Hound says:

It’s never been 6 months, I’ve no idea where you are getting that from.

• VickyTM says:

Am I correct in thinking though that there are far more restrictions on refunding an Iberia redemption? I seem to recall in the past not being able to get the Avios refunded?

• Rob says:

All partner redemptions are non refundable. Iberia and BA are fine.

• insider says:

I was caught out with a slight difference recently related to a redemption ticket. I had stupidly thought that IB on the LHR-MAD route would have the same ‘book with confidence’ policy that BA have, but they don’t – equally I’m pretty sure they don’t have a 24hour cooling off period, but I could refund the ticket to get Avios and money back with a 30 or so Euro fee.

• Rob MacKenzie says:

Unfortunately the website appears to have faltered – keeps failing with “session timed out” message. Perhaps the glut of one-way traffic was too much! Will certainly keep trying though.

• Stephan says:

That was easy given I spent hours trying to figure out how to do it via avios.com unsuccessfully

• yorkieflyer says:

Just waiting for the implications of the long running 90k negative IB balances 😬

• Benilyn says:

Are partner bookings (e.g. Qatar) the same tax/surcharges or cheaper with Iberia vs BA?

• davedent says:

Some are some aren’t it’s a case of looking at both sites ie NYC -MAD on BA £800 tax on IB £190 but HEL to HKT £30 on both sites.

• Chris Cannon says: