Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

It’s a miracle – you can finally move Avios between BA and Iberia if you have a household account

One upside from the long Avios IT migration and subsequent downtime in November is that the long-running problems with ‘Combine My Avios’ seem to have been fixed.

It is now possible to move Avios from British Airways Executive Club to Iberia Plus, or vice versa, in one transaction. This means:

• you no longer need to use avios.com as an intermediary
  • there are no longer any issues if you have a BA Household Account
you can finally move Avios from BA to Iberia, even with a household account

To be fair, some people – those not in household accounts – never had many problems moving Avios directly between BA and Iberia, although the process often threw up IT errors. For everyone else, life is now a bit easier.

How to move Avios from Iberia to British Airways

I tried the process from inside Iberia Plus and it worked fine.

You need to visit the ‘Combine My Avios’ page of Iberia Plus which is here.

Alternatively you can select the ‘Buying or transferring Avios’ option in the main Iberia website menu navigation, and click the link at the bottom:

When in ‘Combine My Avios’, all you need to do is fill in your British Airways Executive Club number and password and the number of Avios you want to move.

You then get this:

…. and the transaction completes immediately.

If it still doesn’t work, the chances are that there is a mismatch between your British Airways and Iberia accounts. A common reason is that, when you opened your Iberia account, you filled in the ‘Surname’ and ‘Second surname (optional)’ boxes incorrectly.

Why would you want to move Avios between British Airways and Iberia?

On the face of it, you might be struggling to think of reasons why you may want to move Avios between BA and Iberia, given that you can book Iberia flights on ba.com anyway.

Here are some good reasons:

• Taxes on Iberia redemptions are far lower when you book the flight via Iberia Plus rather than BA Executive Club. Madrid to New York in Business Class, for example, has £205 of taxes and charges when booked via Iberia Plus but £379 when booked via the BA website. (What happens to the extra £175? BA pockets it.)
  • Iberia makes additional Economy redemption seats available to its own members. These seats are not visible via ba.com. Even better, these additional seats, known as ‘Blue Class’, require fewer Avios than standard Economy redemption seats.

It’s also worth remembering that some Avios redemptions require fewer points via Iberia Plus. Madrid to New York in Business Class, off peak, is 68,000 Avios vs 100,000 Avios for a BA flight from London to New York. You get this pricing irrespective of whether you book your Iberia flight via iberia.com or ba.com – but, as per my first point above, you’ll get ripped off on the taxes and charges if you use BA.

Our full guide to redeeming Avios on Iberia is here.

For clarity, transfers are free, instantaneous and can be done unlimited times in both directions. There is no reason to keep a balance in both programmes.

Comments (54)

• mattnav_travel says:

Unfortunately a month ago I tried to transfer some Avios from IB+ to BAEC. The points were taken out of my IB account but, due to all Iberia’s glitches, they never got credited into my BA account. All of my support requests have fallen on deaf ears so far with Iberia and the phone agents say they can’t/won’t help with such matters… Any ideas on how to get my points back ?

• DCumming says:

Thanks for the article @rob

I think an interesting comparison is for two people and a 241 Amex voucher….

2 x Iberia biz Madrid to JFK is 136k avios and £405.60
    Flights from (for me) Cardiff to Madrid with luggage £452 (cheaper associated costs in local airport and parking)
    Likely 40k hilton points for overnight stay

2 x BA biz to JFK is 100k avios and £1370

What’s the biz product comparison?

• Rob says:

Click on Flight Reviews under reviews in the menu bar.

Basically, miles better than BA Club World, marginally poorer than Club Suite. Don’t expect much from the food.

• insider says:

not sure i entirely agree from a seat comfort perspective – the IB seat for whatever reason just seems to be less comfortable than the BA ying yang product. Yes there’s way more space so from that aspect it’s better, but I just find the BA ying yang seat far more ergonomic than the IB one.

• Bagoly says:

And cava rather than champagne which matters a lot to some of us.
        I haven’t tried buying champagne in Duty Free and asking them to serve it…

• Ian says:

I presume that’s irony rather you seriously suggesting that the availability of Champagne is really an issue for some people?

• dougzz99 says:

The food offered by BA at present is poor, Iberia is never great, if it’s currently poorer than normal it’ll be very poor. The seat is an entirely subjective, I like CW, I like rear facing seats.

• Chris says:

Still -90k on my Iberia account, now I can finally settle my debts…

• Ben says:

I closed my account with a negative balance a few months ago. There was an option online where you can request it (need to load passport for them to validate). No issues/questions asked.

• Phil says:

Thanks for the heads-up, Rob. At last a straightforward and instantaneous process!

For those struggling this might help:
    – It didn’t work with my BAEC ID (even though the box says “ID”) – it needed the account number.
    – “this IB account does not fufill the criteria” – you get that if you click on “Transfer points”. You need to click on “Combine my Avios” at the bottom of the screen.

• Dre says:

Hello! How does the other way around works? Transfers from Iberia / Air Lingus accounts that belong to the BA household account would now work? That would be brilliant to collect stray avios among family members’ Iberia and AL accounts!

• RussellH says:

I just moved avios from both my and my partner’s Iberia a/cs to BA with no problems at all.

For reference, the last “real” credit to my IB a/c was exactly a year ago (e-Rewards). The last to her a/c was 2019 some time.

I see that IB has now dealt with the bug that meant that while you could have an alphanumeric password, combine my avios only worked with a six figure PIN.

• firsttotheleft says:

So many new things broken on the site since update though. App and browser show different things, scheduled flights not showing, travel together vouchers not showing. All kinds of weirdness and mismatches between me and my wife’s login to household accounts. Sucks.

• chris_se26 says:

It’s failing completely on Chrome.
    On Edge I get this: “Sorry, you currently don’t meet the terms and conditions to combine Avios”.

Is this a name validation issue or 6 months + inactivity?