Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

It’s a miracle – you can finally move Avios between BA and Iberia if you have a household account

One upside from the long Avios IT migration and subsequent downtime in November is that the long-running problems with ‘Combine My Avios’ seem to have been fixed.

It is now possible to move Avios from British Airways Executive Club to Iberia Plus, or vice versa, in one transaction. This means:

• you no longer need to use avios.com as an intermediary
  • there are no longer any issues if you have a BA Household Account
you can finally move Avios from BA to Iberia, even with a household account

To be fair, some people – those not in household accounts – never had many problems moving Avios directly between BA and Iberia, although the process often threw up IT errors. For everyone else, life is now a bit easier.

How to move Avios from Iberia to British Airways

I tried the process from inside Iberia Plus and it worked fine.

You need to visit the ‘Combine My Avios’ page of Iberia Plus which is here.

Alternatively you can select the ‘Buying or transferring Avios’ option in the main Iberia website menu navigation, and click the link at the bottom:

When in ‘Combine My Avios’, all you need to do is fill in your British Airways Executive Club number and password and the number of Avios you want to move.

You then get this:

…. and the transaction completes immediately.

If it still doesn’t work, the chances are that there is a mismatch between your British Airways and Iberia accounts. A common reason is that, when you opened your Iberia account, you filled in the ‘Surname’ and ‘Second surname (optional)’ boxes incorrectly.

Why would you want to move Avios between British Airways and Iberia?

On the face of it, you might be struggling to think of reasons why you may want to move Avios between BA and Iberia, given that you can book Iberia flights on ba.com anyway.

Here are some good reasons:

• Taxes on Iberia redemptions are far lower when you book the flight via Iberia Plus rather than BA Executive Club. Madrid to New York in Business Class, for example, has £205 of taxes and charges when booked via Iberia Plus but £379 when booked via the BA website. (What happens to the extra £175? BA pockets it.)
  • Iberia makes additional Economy redemption seats available to its own members. These seats are not visible via ba.com. Even better, these additional seats, known as ‘Blue Class’, require fewer Avios than standard Economy redemption seats.

It’s also worth remembering that some Avios redemptions require fewer points via Iberia Plus. Madrid to New York in Business Class, off peak, is 68,000 Avios vs 100,000 Avios for a BA flight from London to New York. You get this pricing irrespective of whether you book your Iberia flight via iberia.com or ba.com – but, as per my first point above, you’ll get ripped off on the taxes and charges if you use BA.

Our full guide to redeeming Avios on Iberia is here.

For clarity, transfers are free, instantaneous and can be done unlimited times in both directions. There is no reason to keep a balance in both programmes.

Comments (54)

• Marcelo C says:

Great news! I have some points in my Iberia account that are about to expire. I assume that moving to BA will reset the clock? I also understand that moving back to Iberia would make me lose the points.

• John says:

It doesn’t “reset the clock” as such because points don’t really expire, it’s your account that expires after 3 years of no activity.

By moving them to BA the avios will now be lost whenever your BA account expires – they don’t gain another 3 years by being moved.

If the BA account also had no activity for 3 years the avios would be lost as soon as being sent to BA

• Alex says:

I hope this does not mean that I lose points if I move from my active BA account to dormant Iberia account which has not been used for years.

• SammyJ says:

I closed our Iberia accounts a few years ago with a balance of -90k as I suspect many others did too!
    Interesting to see if anybody has reopened an account since then, and if the new link causes any issues!

• Max says:

How did you close the account?
      My account also sit at 90K for several years and I haven’t touched it since I transferred the points out.

• Nigerian Prince says:

Miracle?

• Mike says:

I did this a week or so ago and it works fine. However, is there a worse airline website than Iberia’s? It is really bad.

• 1ATL says:

Combine my Avios was unsuccessful

Combine my Avios is not available at the moment. Please try again later

• 1ATL says:

Does seem to be intermittent however as I’ve now been able to move over my orphaned Accor to Avios conversions which I’ve been crediting to IB at the ratio of 1:1 over to BA …. I’d actually given up trying to accomplish this over 3 years ago as the manual intervention needed was too painful. However, I’m glad this day has finally come.

• Andrew says:

I get that error whenever I try using Chrome. Switched over to Edge and it worked.

• 1ATL says:

Will transferring a token amount of Avios between IB and BA or vice vera keep accounts active from expiring?

• The Jetset Boyz says:

Brilliant news! 🎉 Just successfully moved Avios from both Iberia Plus & Aer Club… super quick & easy.

• Matthias says:

I tried moving Avios from BA to IB last week and failed because “this IB account does not fufill the criteria.” I assume this is because it’s not “active” even though I did earn a token 100 a couple of years ago (though haven’t done anything else.) Does anyone know if the IB account needs activity every 6 or 12 months to allow a transfer?

In the meantime I’ve bought a pair of £10 socks from Hackett in the hope of triggering reactivation via the 65B link. I might even wear them.