Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your British Airways Premium Plus retention offers!

• VinZ 142 posts

Also got 10,000 Avios for £3,000 yesterday, spoke to an agent in Brighton and discussed the Barclays Avios card offer.

Did the same.
    I called quite disillusioned and left the call even more so.
    Got offered the same after explaining that BA wouldn’t extend one of my vouchers which I’ve now lost and having more than 1.5M avios sitting in my account.
    BAPP is not appealing anymore – I have two companion vouchers, 1 cabin upgrade voucher (from Barclays Premier) and one from Barclaycard too v soon.
    The agent said feedback will be passed on and “you never know”
    No threatening of losing my vouchers

It left quite the bad taste in my mouth.

SteveJ 977 posts

Also got 10,000 Avios for £3,000 yesterday, spoke to an agent in Brighton and discussed the Barclays Avios card offer.

Did the same.
    I called quite disillusioned and left the call even more so.
    Got offered the same after explaining that BA wouldn’t extend one of my vouchers which I’ve now lost and having more than 1.5M avios sitting in my account.
    BAPP is not appealing anymore – I have two companion vouchers, 1 cabin upgrade voucher (from Barclays Premier) and one from Barclaycard too v soon.
    The agent said feedback will be passed on and “you never know”
    No threatening of losing my vouchers

It left quite the bad taste in my mouth.

Not sure what you wanted them to say? If you’re not using the companion vouchers you’ve picked the wrong card, what could Amex have said to not have you disillusioned?

VinZ 142 posts

We’ve been two years in lockdown and I retained the card and earned vouchers which clearly I didn’t get the chance to spend.

Using a voucher is tricky to spend in normal times let alone when pandemic restrictions end and everybody is desperate to fly again.

I would have expected Amex to come up with a better retention offer perhaps? I’ve had a BA amex card for 10 years and never thought of cancelling it until now.

points_worrier 293 posts

Just chat online with amex now. BAPP holder for 6 months. Explained the Barclaycard offer was better: cheaper fee, higher earn, mastercard, better sign on bonus. Explained I would jump ship without a special offer.
    Was transferred to a special team, run through the benefits of the card, and offered 5,000 avios for £1k spend. Accepted for now – got a big spend coming up. But will probably cancel after this, in reality for exchanging for the free Barclaycard (not eligible for SUBs).

Whole thing took quite a while: about 30 mins, but had it running in the background whilst doing other things.

jdbeds 6 posts

Just been retained. When stating I wished to cancel on the auto message I was transferred straight to Brighton. Offered 5000 Avios for £1000 spend over 3 months. I’ve only had the card a couple of months (already had welcome bonus, CV etc.) so felt I might as well go for it. Though I realise I’m essentially buying 5000 Avios for £60!

FFoxSake 217 posts

Though I realise I’m essentially buying 5000 Avios for £60!

Not if you do the spend quicker than 3 months… also you’ll earn the usual Avios on top.

jdbeds 6 posts

Though I realise I’m essentially buying 5000 Avios for £60!

Not if you do the spend quicker than 3 months… also you’ll earn the usual Avios on top.

They suggested the bonus Avios would only post after 3 months had passed. But I’ll report back if they post any sooner once I’ve spent the £1000.

Reney 755 posts

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    lambshank13 53 posts

I just got a nice retention offer, but it was on my free BA Amex. Double points for the next three months.

Had a similar offer on my Platinum Cashback Everyday card a few months ago.

Very pleased especially given that these are both cards with no annual fee.

points_worrier 293 posts

Question: with my 5k avios for £1k spend within 3 months, do I get the points as soon as I spend £1k? Or is it after 3 months?

polly 287 posts

Ours posted with the spend that took us to 1k… v quick posting for once, recently.

jashunri 2 posts

Got offered 10k bonus avios for £3k spending in the next 3 months.

Me2 8 posts

Hi – Just wanted to advise that I also got offered 10,000 Avios for £3,000 spend earlier today.

(I spoke to an agent in Brighton. I mentioned the Barclaycard Avios card and the fact that I have not been travelling as much recently and have an unused 241 voucher).

Mark

Ori 35 posts

Thanks! Just got 10,000 avios for 3k spend.

JenT 149 posts

Just got the 10000 Avios for £3k spend in three months. Said I was looking to go fee free, mentioned that there was a competitor card on the market and that I was using my Platinum Amex more at the moment. Very quick offer and straightforward call.

Reney 755 posts

Just got offered the spend £1000 get 5000 points version. Although points per spend is higher, was hoping for the £3k spend version as am planning to keep the card till year end.

Carlos 758 posts

Out of curiosity do any BAPP holders get DECENT amex offers (when i mean decent like whats the best offer as I havent held this card in years) wondering if its worth getting again

JDB 4,339 posts

Out of curiosity do any BAPP holders get DECENT amex offers (when i mean decent like whats the best offer as I havent held this card in years) wondering if its worth getting again

You are asking this question on the retentions thread and the reality is that the BAPP is the only Amex with a USP – the companion voucher which for many is worth several times the annual fee on its own. It is also the highest regular Avios earning Amex card. Therefore they don’t need to pay very generous retention bonuses. There is a clue in the huge retentions paid on Plat.

Paul 133 posts

I have had BAPP since inception and it was free with platinum. I called to cancel this week and was offered nothing and do in fact proceed to cancel. One issue was I was clearly and repeatedly told I had to have a BA Amex to use the voucher. I ignored this.
    When I I then suggested cancelling the platinum card I was given 50,000 membership rewards points.

jayjay 74 posts

Same 10K bonus on 3k spend as retention.

pelicanicecoffeeolaf 64 posts

Was offered 5k Avios for £1k spend in the next 3 months.

Reney 755 posts

I have seen this question asked and answered often, and there seems to be no consistent answer. Partly how good offers are depends on your own spending patterns and if you have several cards, you spending or in some people’s case lack of spending in certain cards matters. Some of the high value offers are in very expensive shops and hotels that I won’t use.

Based on the offers I have across 3 different amex, I am not sure I would ever pay a fee to get access to offers, but would certain always keep an amex for their offers.

For example, the current excellent paypal offer is available in my plat, BAPP and nectar but not the free cashback card. The convent garden offer was on all my cards. Last year I had the opportunity to use the Small Lux Hotel offer and that was only available I think on a nectar card. I also find if I use an offer on say my BaPP, next time it won’t come back on that card and appears on another. Which suggests helpful to have more than one amex. I did not get the BP offer on any cards. Recently Coast Fashion came up on almost all of my cards, never shop there normally but have a wedding to go to soon, when I came to pay the system rejected all my amex and only accepted my Virgin card, which also had a lower offer 🙄.

There is a thread on amex offers, worth reading that to see what offers are coming up and on which card.

iEimis 81 posts

10k avios offered for £3k spend in 3 months last night downgrading from BAPP to regular BA AmEx with no annual fee.

Whisper2 44 posts

Just got 5k Avios for £1k spend in 3 months. I have only had the card since May so I wonder are they only giving the 10k Avios offer to people who have held it for longer?

Scotty665 28 posts

5k Avios for £1K spend in 3 months here also. Had the card since March. Just straight up asked for a retention offer as also have the Barclaycard Avios card.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.