Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your British Airways Premium Plus retention offers!

• RK228 198 posts

Via phone, I was just offered 10,000 Avios for £3,000 spending over three months. I initiated the call by saying that I was planning to cancel to avail of the Barclaycard 30,000 Avios sign-up offer.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    gustavo 49 posts

Just spoke to them and the representative said the only offer for me was to downgrade to the free card. I did mention about the Barclaycard Avios card but it didn’t make any difference.

Kentish Man 6 posts

Looking to cancel this as I have enough vouchers to last me a while. They are threatening that I won’t be able to use my vouchers if I cancel it… Certainly no talk of a retention bonus… Is this an empty threat or not?

Aston100 1,374 posts

Looking to cancel this as I have enough vouchers to last me a while. They are threatening that I won’t be able to use my vouchers if I cancel it… Certainly no talk of a retention bonus… Is this an empty threat or not?

Standard speech from Amex.
    I don’t think anyone has reported any problems using some other Amex (including those belonging to a 3rd party) to pay the fees.

CarpalTravel 359 posts

A very regularly asked question, indicative of how often Amex quote it. Companion vouchers cannot be touched, only issue is you need to pay for a booking with Amex in order to use them. Doesn’t have to be your card, can be friend, family etc..

Kentish Man 6 posts

Thanks – I was 95% sure that was the case but when they suddenly hit you with it, it can be slightly unsettling!
    Will probably move to a Gold card instead for a year and see how I get on with that…

obbiie 15 posts

Also got 10,000 Avios for £3,000 yesterday, spoke to an agent in Brighton and discussed the Barclays Avios card offer.

PMG 21 posts

Same as others, also got the 10,000 Avios for £3,000 spend over 3 months.
    All done via chat and very easy…

DonLee 213 posts

My wife was offered spend £1,000 in the next 3 months you will get 5,000 Avios

PointsChaser 36 posts

I just downgraded to the free card and no retention offer was discussed. Process was very smooth and efficient.

iamfugly 28 posts

I have not kept up to speed with Amex but is it still allowed/an accepted strategy to downgrade from the Premium to the free card, reach close to £10k spend on the free card and then upgrade to the Premium card prior to triggering the £10k companion voucher on the Premium card? Thanks in advance

yorkshireRich 185 posts

Same as everyone else. 10,000 Avios for £3000 spend in 3 months

wedangjahe 8 posts

I have not kept up to speed with Amex but is it still allowed/an accepted strategy to downgrade from the Premium to the free card, reach close to £10k spend on the free card and then upgrade to the Premium card prior to triggering the £10k companion voucher on the Premium card? Thanks in advance

Also interested in this.

TIA!

yorkshireRich 185 posts

Quick question.
    Is the spend 3k get 10,000 avios showing up anywhere in offers or on the tab near membership. I can’t find it anywhere. Don’t want to make substantial purchases yet if it’s not been updated onto the system.

Andrew J 769 posts

Doesn’t show anywhere -have to keep track manually.

yorkshireRich 185 posts

Doesn’t show anywhere -have to keep track manually.

Thankyou for your speedy reply.

Gary 293 posts

Got the usual spend £3k for 10k Avios in 3 months via chat. Asked for annual fee waiver which is due in Jul but was declined. CSA advised the offer usually takes a few hours to activate but 24-48 hours is the maximum timeframe.

awalker 2 posts

No bonus offered today… yesterday when I said I was considering cancellation the chat advisor suggested calling to discuss downgrading. I got around to it this evening and mentioned cancellation due to fee, they asked if I had any companion vouchers to redeem, then 30 seconds later the card was cancelled. I’d asked about waiving too. Bit odd as I’m used to them going above for personal & business custom. Maybe I should just be grateful I wasn’t given a sales pitch!

WillPS 194 posts

No bonus offered today… yesterday when I said I was considering cancellation the chat advisor suggested calling to discuss downgrading. I got around to it this evening and mentioned cancellation due to fee, they asked if I had any companion vouchers to redeem, then 30 seconds later the card was cancelled. I’d asked about waiving too. Bit odd as I’m used to them going above for personal & business custom. Maybe I should just be grateful I wasn’t given a sales pitch!

I didn’t get offered anything other than a downgrade to the free card last week either, I’d have taken 10k avios for £3k spend but to be honest even then with my rate of spend I only stand to benefit to the tune of £15-20/month once you factor in the fee refund I’d be giving up while doing it, so I wasn’t that fussed.

Hoping for a Platinum offer around August and then I can go fallow for 2 yrs.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Luca M 391 posts

When I called few months ago, I was also not offered anything until I specifically asked for a retention offer, then the £3000 in three months for 10,000 Avios came up, was accepted, and hit the bonus within three days by doing some equipment business expenses … in my experience if it is not offered, ask directly about it, specifically indicating that you know this has been offered to others

chelynnah 41 posts

Partner cancelled his a couple of weeks ago because he got the Barclays. I’m keeping my Amex and we’ll start the click on his 2 years to apply again for a signup bonus. They asked why and he said it wasn’t needed. No offer of retention bonus.

Stu 38 posts

I did an online chat with them this evening and asked them to give me one incentive to stay after a year of probably THE worst service in my 9 years with them … I too got offered the 10,000 Avios for £3,000 spend in three months. I’ve happily accepted, for now anyway.

RK228 198 posts

Via phone, I was just offered 10,000 Avios for £3,000 spending over three months. I initiated the call by saying that I was planning to cancel to avail of the Barclaycard 30,000 Avios sign-up offer.

To add a data point here, after receiving this offer on 30 Mar, the 10,000 Avios were credited to my account on 21 May. I was concerned I would need to chase AMEX up on this, so was pleasantly surprised to see the Avios automatically post without needing to even wait the full three months.

It was credited as “Bonus Avios” in the AMEX app, but as an “AMEX Welcome Bonus” in my Executive Club Account.

rum 275 posts

I also got the 10K points for £3K spend offer

Graham-Walsh 61 posts

10k for £3k spend on BAPP (all within the same chat re Plat and a 35k offer).

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.