Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards The HSBC Premier Mastercards thread

The HSBC Premier Mastercards thread

• Gareth

Occupational hazard

Jas

Hi, quick question if I may about the extended warranty on the Premier Mastercard. In the Ts & Cs it says that:

You can register up to three items of equipment (6 if a joint card is held) per calendar year for the Extended Warranty Insurance Benefit.

Can I just check people’s experience of this – I am assuming that a ‘joint card’ means an additional cardholder – i.e. as my wife also has a card under the account then we qualify for 6 items? Furthermore, do I need to purchase 3 items on each card, or is it acceptable to D&G / HSBC if 6 items are purchased on my card?

Thanks in advance!

sloth

Anyone who currently has has this years fee waived also has a supp card on the account? Is that extra fee waived also or you need to pay that? Thanks

rum

Hmmm, not sure what best to do then. I’ve opened 3 new accounts within the past 6 months (two of which were with HSBC – the premier a/c + mortgage) and the third being a new card with AMEX so credit score has taken a bit of a dip. Do I take a further hit with the HSBC CC application or wait until the 6 months are up and credit score has been restored. From Rob’s comments, it suggests that the change will be happening in the short term so might just have to take the plunge.

Anyone else applied for multiple cards within a short period of time?

I agree, the waters look rather cloudy right now.

On the point about opening the credit card with HSBC, not long after the current account, I have a feeling you might be ok. I opened current account and on the day requested the Premier WE card. Got told I can only get the free one that day, but to ask to switch in a few months (2-3 to be exact). So did just that. Was credit checked once for the current account (which was in January). Then in late March I called and asked about upgrading the credit card, they accepted, I got the form in the post and went ahead and they switched the account. I wasn’t credit checked again for the upgrade.

Benilyn

FWIW I was credit checked after holding the free card (held prob for a few years) when I requested the upgrade.

Steven

Many thanks.

rum

FWIW I was credit checked after holding the free card (held prob for a few years) when I requested the upgrade.

That’s really helpful to know – many thanks for sharing this

yorkieflyer

Just got the Premier account and applied for the credit card once the account was open. Credit checked twice.

Bobri

Any experience on the level of friendliness of this card to bending? Want to bendy into a SIPP

Olly

Any experience on the level of friendliness of this card to bending? Want to bendy into a SIPP

Worked for me into Nutmeg

• This reply was modified 52 years, 1 month ago by .
    Toppcat

No problem for me into Fidelity or ii.

colinc57

Paid for my card feb20 and feb21. Whilst all my travels plans were cancelled, and hence not used the main reason for the card… the bonus points cancel out the fees paid, and I’m due to a waiver this year. Not gone OTT but would say the Card has been rewarding in other ways. 🙂

Rob
    HfP Staff

No problem for me into Fidelity or ii.

Check you actually get the points. HSBC no longer gives points on HMRC via Curve.

Bobri

Not after the points this time around Rob, rather want to use the carry forward allowance before it’s gone and avoid being punished with fees

If anyone bent into HL would be a helpful datapoint as well

defender90

Potentially an increased sign-up/spend bonus coming down the tracks?

rum

OK, I finally got an answer after speaking to a fourth person (I’ve actually lost count!). Call lasted close to an hour. This is usually a five minute job on the phone to Amex and it’s pretty straight forward.

First I asked about whether they will be giving us another year free. Best answer I could get out of them was “it’s currently showing a cost of £0 but it could change”. It’s not like I was asking for the weather forecast in April, but felt like that’s how the answer was… it maybe, could be, should be, but possibly won’t be. Clear as mud.

Then the last person I spoke with all but confirmed I need to fill in a form and post it back to them. They suggested I do that nearer the time as they may be offering £0 annual fee then, to which I suggested I had better get the form and have it here just in case. I can then send it back nearer the time and won’t need to wait for it then. I then had to answer a bunch of questions (sounded like they were doing a credit check but then they assured me they weren’t…) and hear a bunch of legal blurb (why do they tell you this over the phone when you receive it all in the post anyway?).

Long story short, forms are being sent and I need to wait for them to arrive. I think it’s a good strategy as current times for the post = expected timeframe + 10 to 14 days on top of that for my area.

Received my “form” from HSBC as per my previous posts. What was in the package? A letter thanking me for my interest in their credit cards and a marketing brochure listing all their wonderful credit card products. No form whatsoever or anything that resembles it.

I can’t really say anything positive about HSBC right now… they are clearly still stuck a few centuries behind modern banking. Can’t upgrade/downgrade a product based on a simple online form (or a telephone call) and have to send out glossy brochures, rather than get people to use online banking. Despite the objections on here, I might not be wasting my time with these people much longer.

Is Barclays brining out a card then or what?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.