Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards The HSBC Premier Mastercards thread

• Youllnever 182 posts

Does anybody know if HSBC still give points for HMRC payments if they are fronted by Curve ? I have just upgraded to Metal but someone has suggested it’s pointless as HSBC won’t give points.

No points

Hence it’s pointless (pun intended).

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

Does anybody know for sure which merchant types HSBC aren’t paying out on? For the last few months the points I’ve had have not tallied with my spend, but can’t make any sense of why, as even excluding certain financial transactions it still seems way out!

I noticed the only payment last month that I didn’t receive points on was a £50 top-up of my Amazon account. Payments via PayPal (to Ebay, Nespresso etc.) DID earn points. Have a test payment on my Solihull card this month so will report back 🙂

Alexthenotsogreat 15 posts

I recently applied for a World Elite card, and on the letter with my card it states the annual fee is £0. I vaguely remember reading some chat on here a while back about this happening, and then people either not being charged the fee or successfully getting it refunded based on what the letter says. Did this happen for anyone else?

memesweeper 1,254 posts

New card design just popped into Apple Pay. Is this now a thing in real life?

yorkieflyer 259 posts

New card design just popped into Apple Pay. Is this now a thing in real life?

Yes the vertical card is a thing

JP 5 posts

Already have an account with HSBC but given the absolute run-around trying to get it upgraded to premier. Other people get the same? Minded to just close the account and apply as a new customer

DJ 93 posts

Just received a replacement card for the HSBC World Elite card, it is now in the vertical design. I noticed that it doesn’t have the “LoungeKey” logo at the back anymore. Would it have any acceptance issues when using it for lounge access? Ta

Youllnever 182 posts

Already have an account with HSBC but given the absolute run-around trying to get it upgraded to premier. Other people get the same? Minded to just close the account and apply as a new customer

My experience upgrading my account has been pretty straightforward I have to say. I’ve upgraded my account in-branch though, so maybe you’d have better luck doing so that way?

yorkieflyer 259 posts

Just received a replacement card for the HSBC World Elite card, it is now in the vertical design. I noticed that it doesn’t have the “LoungeKey” logo at the back anymore. Would it have any acceptance issues when using it for lounge access? Ta

Nah used it in Alicante just make sure it’s processed as LoungeKey, tell them, and not a cash entry

sloth 315 posts

Just apply online for premier account, easiest way

sm 178 posts

Regarding the free extended appliance cover with free Hsbc premier credit card – if you upgraded to world elite card after you’d purchased the appliance would you still be covered now? I think it’s a benefit of the free card only. Wasn’t sure how domestic and general check you still have the same account. I may have the old card somewhere…

DJ 93 posts

Regarding the free extended appliance cover with free Hsbc premier credit card – if you upgraded to world elite card after you’d purchased the appliance would you still be covered now? I think it’s a benefit of the free card only. Wasn’t sure how domestic and general check you still have the same account. I may have the old card somewhere…

No, you won’t be covered. I have asked this when I upgrade mine in the branch. I also asked if I could have both cards, the answer is no.

thom 25 posts

I really don’t understand why they have the extended cover on the free card but not the World Elite.

wilko1 6 posts

No. On paper it is clear the cover stops when the card ceases. But – they might only check when you register the product and get sent the cover note. If you need to claim, I would try and see what happens…

JDB 4,378 posts

No. On paper it is clear the cover stops when the card ceases. But – they might only check when you register the product and get sent the cover note. If you need to claim, I would try and see what happens…

@wilko1
    – it seems extraordinary to advise another party to try and make a claim for an event you specify is not covered, given the potential consequences of making such a claim.

sm 178 posts

Sorry if I’ve missed the change but I thought Hsbc WE card gives you unlimited access to lounges with lounge key? It appears as though it’s now £20pp even for the account holder? Thank you

Youllnever 182 posts

Sorry if I’ve missed the change but I thought Hsbc WE card gives you unlimited access to lounges with lounge key? It appears as though it’s now £20pp even for the account holder? Thank you

Did you tell the lounge you were paying via LoungeKey?

sm 178 posts

Did you tell the lounge you were paying via LoungeKey?

Oh no I’ve not been yet- just planning for my upcoming trip -saw it on website but I may not noticed that the free Hsbc premier credit card lounge visits are £20pp but still free for the WE card holder 🤞.

MisterE 30 posts

I’ve had the World Elite Mastercard for quite a few years, and for at least a year or two during the pandemic they have waived the £195 annual fee.

My anniversary is June. Does anyone have any recent experience of whether the fee waiver is being continued?

points_worrier 295 posts

I’ve had the World Elite Mastercard for quite a few years, and for at least a year or two during the pandemic they have waived the £195 annual fee.

My anniversary is June. Does anyone have any recent experience of whether the fee waiver is being continued?

Several reports of people getting the fee refunded automatically after a few days. If you dont use the card, I believe you can get the fee refunded if you cancel. So might be worth keeping it and seeing? And then cancelling if you don’t get a rebate? Or you could just ring them and try your luck to see if they’d be prepared to waive it over the phone

meta 1,439 posts

I’ve had no fee taken in 2021 and 2022 (January anniversary) and I’ve been refunded the 2020 fee. So 3 years free. Can’t really complain, hence why I am also not keen on Barclaycard Avios.

JDB 4,378 posts

My anniversary is February and I was refunded the 2021 fee, without asking in May of that year. This February the fee + supp fee was billed on my statement but then, without asking, both refunded a few days later. I’m not counting on it next year, but in the hopes they will have the transfer bonus again in the late summer, fee free for two years is looking good. A further unexpected benefit and YMMV, but an accidental charge by supp to our friendly tax collector strangely yielded normal points.

iamlost 108 posts

Is there any use case for me to take out a Premier credit card when I already hold Barclaycard Avios and Amex? 🤔

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

Is there any use case for me to take out a Premier credit card when I already hold Barclaycard Avios and Amex? 🤔

It depends what your use case is. I assume we are talking about the fee paid Premier World Elite MC and not the free Premier MC as that really gives you nothing over the other cards you mention.
    For the World Elite MC, the introductory bonus (40k points – equivalent to 20k avios – for £2k spend) and 1st anniversary bonus (also 40k for another £10k spend) are decent and should justify the cost of the card (unless it results in you missing other card bonus spend opportunities – see https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/02/07/most-valuable-credit-card-sign-up-bonuses/ ).
    As peeps have mentioned above, you may also get the card free for the first year if you ask nicely! Bear in mind however that to receive the 2nd tranche of bonus points you will be into a second year of fees and there is no pro-rata refund on cancellation, unlike with Amex.
    Otherwise, the main advantage over avios earning cards is that the HSBC points are a more flexible currency, as they can be exchanged for KrisFlyer, Etihad and Cathay points as well as avios.
    Also, the Lounge Key pass may be of value to you if you don’t have an Amex Platinum or relevant airline status.
    As always – it’s a case of asking what is most valuable to you and then weighing up the opportunity cost… and how much you want to do business with HSBC, currently one of the most inefficient & annoying banks I have come across!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Youllnever 182 posts

As always – it’s a case of asking what is most valuable to you and then weighing up the opportunity cost… and how much you want to do business with HSBC, currently one of the most inefficient & annoying banks I have come across!

Sorry, but Barclays currently takes the throne and HSBC doesn’t even come close, with the numerous issues currently present on their Avios cards. At least with HSBC’s cards, once you receive it, it works as expected. That can’t be said with the Barclaycard in my experience, especially with their inept customer service that is unable to resolve anything.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.