Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

New targetted promo: £10 off £20 spend at Amazon with American Express

American Express and Amazon have quietly launched another promotion.  This is effectively free money if you are targetted for it.

You will receive £10 cashback when you make a £20 purchase at amazon.co.uk before 6th December.

To see if you are targetted, log into your online Amex account here and look under ‘Offers’ on each of your online statement pages.  My wife and I have five Amex cards between us and it was only showing on her Amex Gold.

Your odds are not great, unfortunately, but it is worth a look.

Amazon

Only 15,000 registrations are allowed, so click ‘Save To Card’ immediately.  You can then make a purchase at your convenience before the deadline of 6th December.

However, the easiest thing to do is to go to this page and top up your Amazon account balance with £20.  This is a new feature and is quicker than buying an Amex gift card and emailing it to yourself.  If you do this, you are not taking any risk that you forget to make the £20 spend in time.

Comments (31)

• Jonathan says:

Appeared on my wife’s Gold charge card, but not my BAAP 🙁

• oyster says:

So what we can say from the feedback is that the algorithm used to target cards could be entirely random?

• Rob says:

Not sure. My wife’s Gold card is new and she got it. I have always redeemed these Amazon deals in the past and didn’t get it.

Amex also knows, obviously, whether you have spent at Amazon recently with your card.

• axel says:

I got it on 3 of 3 amex cards. Never redeemed amazon offer before. Remember being abroad and missing last offer announced on hfp

• The Urbanite says:

Appeared on my Gold, but not BAPP.

• James67 says:

So, do you think, unless we are trying to hit a spend target,
        it migh be worthwhile focussing all our amazon, argos, denbenhms, hilton spend on nonamex cards?

• harry says:

Makes a lot more sense to fund some of these a/cs via pay.com (which you can buy with Amex). Or the store giftcards.

Double whammy – spend target/ MRs + free petrol from Morrisons

• James67 says:

Problem is that after processing hundrecs of 3V cards I gog sick of the sight of them so I no longer bother looking for them.

• Simon says:

Why is it that even after being an Amex customer for 15 years and holding 5 cards, including the Platinum charge card, I’ve never had a single offer – NOT ONE!?!

• Nick says:

That can’t be right, surely?! There is literally nothing showing in the “Offers – tailored to you” section on the website? If that’s the case, I can only assume that you’ve somehow opted out. Net-A-Porter, AO.com etc are pretty much permanent offers, if nothing else.

• Nick says:

As an aside: if it really is true that you’ve not received an offer for 15 years, I’d drop a note to Amex and ask them to explain themselves. They are pretty good at compensating people who have suffered bad customer service.

• Rob says:

The Amex ‘opt in, opt out’ options are per card. It is possible you may have thought you opted in but did it on another card and not for Platinum. Options are on the website.

If you don’t even see stuff under ‘Offers’ on your online statement page, though, then something is wrong.

• Simon says:

Well, I’ve checked the marketing options and I’m definitely opted in for everything on all my cards. I’ve contacted Amex and they’re going to look into why I’ve no offers showing on my cards.

• Concerto says:

Having the MBNA Diamond Club AMEX card I suppose means I am not eligible for these offers?

• Rob says:

No, not unless it eventually appears on the Amex Connect site.

• harry says:

Which is very likely, judging by previous promotions. My guess is that Amex targets certain cardholders first – selected on various criteria such as infrequent Amazon use. Then if the 15,000 allocation is falling short, they open it out on Amex Connect etc

Early bird etc

• BlackberryAddict says:

Only appeared on my Gold not the other three. Gold was the only one were there was no Amazon spend already.

• rum says:

Didn’t get the offer. Recently got a BA card but have already used it to spend at Amazon.
    So far only had (and used) one offer on this card from ao.com
    How long does it take before offers start to roll in on a newly opened card account?