BA Sale

£10 cashback offer at BP with American Express

American Express has launched a new cashback offer with BP.  You may, or may not, find this under the ‘Offers’ section of the online statement page of one or more of your Amex cards and will need to register.

You will receive £10 back on a £30 fuel purchase before 31st December.  You can only earn the statement credit once per card.

You need to download the BPme app to your smartphone and add your American Express card as your means of payment.  When you arrive at the garage, you open the app, type in your pump number and how much you want to spend, submit, and you can then load your car up to the payment limit you entered.

You can add your Nectar card to the app so you don’t lose out on those points either.  Not all BP stations are BPme enabled but apparently there is a map of participating garages in the app.

British Airways closes its Munich lounge
Get 2000 Hilton Honors points for new members

BA Sale

Comments

1. OT. I’ve just had an email from Avios South Africa, saying that the scheme will close at the end of May. There will no longer be the opportunity to earn Avios from BP filling stations or Pick N Pay supermarkets, and that the co-brand credit card will cease earning (and encouraging users to apply for the BA branded card from ABSA). While this isn’t a big drop, I used to get a small amount of Avios from our frequent trips out to visit family, from fuel and shopping. There’s no mention of Avios.com avios earned on Kulula flights, but I’d expect there to be something tied in with BAEC.

• Yes, onto this.

• From the FAQ page at https://www.avios.com/za/en_za/about-us/avios-travel-rewards-programme-is-closing?from=Homehero

“What if I am an existing member of another airline programme, where Avios is the currency?

If you’re a member of AerClub, Vueling Club or Flybe you will no longer be able to collect or spend Avios after 31 May 2019, using your Avios Travel Reward Programme details. You can, however, carry on collecting Avios with our partner airline programmes by registering with them separately.

N.B. You MUST use a different username, to the one you used for the Avios Travel Rewards Programme, when registering with our partner airline programmes.”

Which sounds to me like Avios accounts are going away altogether next year!

• I managed to transfer my stash to IB Plus (to my UK BAEC failed, presumably because the postal addresses differed).

2. I had problems earlier this month, yes. HMRC error message was vague. Curve kept saying it was because my account was relatively new and needed more history but in fact the HMRC site was simply rejecting every attempt regardless of amount. Then one day it started accepting Curve without a problem, no limit on amount.

3. OT bits – just had an email about 10p/l off fuel at Morrisons after £50 spend.

4. Sent my monthly £1000 from Amex to taxman today

5. TonTonT3 says:

O/T

I’m Platinum Elite with SPG/Marriott and I’ve made a redemption on points for a very fancy beach JW Marriott in South East Asia. Going through the T&C I saw this:

ii. Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Platinum Elite Members receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors.

Does this essentially mean, that if just before checking in I pull out the app and identify a suite or even a Villa (£2k) selling during my stay for cash, I am entitled to request this as an upgrade? It surely would constitute de “best available room” and if it’s going for cash it’s available…

What do you think? Does anyone have experience with this? My only concern is I got the status through Amex Plat and am unsure of when it expires…the stay is in early January.

Thanks.

T

• You won’t have Platinum Premier via Amex, you should have dropped to Gold on August 18th as that is now the Amex-offered level.

Remember that Platinum Premier Elite trump Platinum Elite (and Ambassador trumps both of those) so you may well not be top of the queue.

• TonTonT3 says:

Might’ve been the stays that left me on Platinum Elite then (not Platinum Premier Elite).

Appreciate I wouldn’t be at the top of the queue, but the fact still stands. The T&Cs for Platinum Elite state an upgrade to the ‘best available room’. So, if for example, no Premier Elites or Ambassadors have taken those Villas, and they’re still selling for cash upon my check-in, I should in theory receive an upgrade to them? I can’t see how they can argue against it (they exclude Ritz Carlton’s and Vacation Clubs from this offer, but this is an eligible JW Marriott).

Unless my status resets on 31/12/18, which would be a shame but valid. I still have some stays pre end of the year in other not as nice properties, so the clause should still hold?

• I would say that an Enhanced Room Upgrade means the best room in the category you booked. ie a higher floor, best view in that category.

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

Khao Lak?

6. A Dickinson says:

OT; Which BA office would people recommend to make a 2-4-1 booking at midnight GMT. Are any easier to call? or is online just as easy now?

7. OT but AMEX & HFP related – £100 back when you spend £500 at United Airlines showing on my partner’s card.

8. OT if I cancel my Premium Amex on re receiving my 241, if I wait 6 months and reapply, will I receive another 241 if immediately spend £10000? Or can I only receive one 241 in a twelve month period even if two different accounts? Thanks in advance !

• if I wait 6 months and reapply, will I receive another 241 if immediately spend £10000?

9. O/T My Hilton Visa points have finally posted this afternoon. I have also received two emails that my points have been transferred. I did points pooling two weeks ago which were processed within a day and already made a redemption. Some strange backend workings at Hilton IT!

• RussellH says:

I did contact them though this morning, though primarily to ask when my status gets upgraded to Gold, having done the £10 000 spending.

Still no sign of my 7000 from e-Rewards though.

• The Urbanite says:

+1 Plus weirdly my points from the IHG MasterCard only just turned up today too, almost a week late.

10. OT – BAEC Household accounts / 241 vouchers – my wife and I both have a 241 voucher and want to use it for a booking covering 4 people.

Do we have to split the booking into 2 bookings of 2 people or is there a way of using both the vouchers so that we can make a single booking for all 4 people?

• We do two separate bookings then phone BA to “link” them together. Not sure if that linking does anything specific though – however we have always been seated together as a four across middle of CW – which is perfect when travelling with 2 kids.

• Great, sounds like a good solution. Thanks

• Which call centre do you contact? Each time I’ve asked for a 2 4 1 booking to be linked to a separate cash booking they flatly refuse. Then they’re funny with us at check in because we’re on different PNRs. Had a real “do” with them one year because they wouldn’t initially accept that 2 of us could check in our 3 bags in CW (the 3rd booking wasn’t on a through ticket). They tried to insist that of there were 3 of us it had to be one bag each.

• The 241 is for Avios redemptions only not cash!

• ? As in 2 of us on a 2 4 1 redemption and the other one on a cash booking?

• Never tried to link cash and redemption bookings. They seem to be happy to link 2 x 241 bookings. I think we still keep the 2 separate PNRs (big deal), but benefit in always being sat together as a four as if it is one booking.

• Lady London says:

Wondering now if I saw something awhile back about British Airways not allowing pooling of luggage of people travelling together any more?

• Shoestring says:

But it’s just some numpty on the desk – CW is 2 bags each

• Shoestring says:

@ Lady London – pooling according to BA, that’s different:

Question: We have an allowance for one checked bag each, up to 23kg maximum weight – can we pool our luggage and check in just one heavier suitcase?

Answer: The maximum weight per bag is to protect the health and safety of our airport baggage handlers. This means that it’s not possible to pool your allowance/belongings into just one suitcase/bag that will be heavier than that maximum weight allowance. For example: If your ticket allowance is 23kg per person, and you pool your belongings into one suitcase that weighs 29kg, when one of you checks it in, an overweight bag charge will apply to cover the special handling arrangements for it. This page tells you the charges we make for overweight and extra bags: Extra and overweight baggage Unfortunately we can’t check in a bag that weighs more than 32 kg – you would need to arrange for such a heavy item to travel as cargo.

• Lady London says:

I think you ask for “TCP” (to complete party) on the bookings. I think that’s what they call it.

11. Quick Question: I am looking at car hire for USA and they all seem to come with CDW (£0 Excess) included in the price as standard on the compare sites. If I wanted to use the AMEX platinum protection instead is there anywhere to book the rental at a cheaper rate without this included?

Also does the payment need to be made on the Plat card itself or will any AMEX do as long as hold the plat at the time.

• Which company? Try setting your country to US and see what it comes up with. They usually price without insurance.

I don’t believe you need to put it on the/ an Amex at all. I think that’s just for the Travel Inconvenience Benefit.

• Just all the compare sites like rentalcars, easycar, holidayextras,kayak etc. Ill give the US location suggestion a try. I’m getting around £300 for 10 days Mustang Hire, seems pretty good to me but not sure of the market and if I can loose the insurance part would be even better id imagine.

• I had this issue last year, was told that if I had a non-US address I had to purchase basic CDW.

• Andy try Autoslash

• Don’t the Hertz/Avis Australia sites still price without CDW?

• the_real_a says:

Just be aware that if you decline the CDW they will try to block the full value of the car (say $50k) on your AMEX card which im sure would cause many people issues. Technically most US car hire companies will not allow foreign renter to decline all protections but that snot to say the agents on the desk will not allow you to drive away without anything. Having said that, basic CDW to reduce your excess to a few thousand USD is usually so cheap its not worth arguing. My last rental with Advantage was £130 for 7 days hire with CDW from Baltimore airport.