Good new Amex cashback deals for Christmas shopping: TFL, Harrods, John Lewis, Fenwick etc …. plus Accor

American Express has launched a number of new cashback deals to help cut the cost of your Christmas shopping.

These are a very generous group of offers.  However, if my own family cards are anything to go by, it seems that they are not appearing to everyone.

This is what I had across my cards:

Transport for London – 10% off contactless travel

The offer runs to 31st December.  It does not include Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect / TFL Rail when paid via contactless payment.

John Lewis – £10 cashback when you spend £50

Expires 29th December. Waitrose shoppers may want to buy a £50 John Lewis gift card instore which can then be used in a Waitrose.  Excludes John Lewis Opticians.

American Express Harrods cashback deal

Harrods – £30 cashback when you spend £100 (expires 24th December)

Debenhams – £10 cashback when you spend £50 (expires 31st December, so it can be used during the sale too)

Fenwick and Bentalls – £5 cashback when you spend £20 (expires 24th December)

If you’re a big fan of tuna baguettes, Upper Crust also offered me £2 back when I spend £5 before Christmas Eve!

And …..

Pullman Berlin cashback deal

There is also a new Accor hotels deal available.

It is offering £50 cashback when you spend £350 at selected luxury hotels in Europe before 28th February.

It is very select group of hotels included.  The only countries covered are the UK, Netherlands, France, Austria, Germany and Switzerland.

If you were planning to stay at a Sofitel, Pullman or MGallery then your luck may be in.  Sofitel Heathrow and Pullman London (Kings Cross) are excluded, however.

Pullman Berlin, which I reviewed earlier this year (our Pullman Berlin review is here and see the photo above) and liked a lot, IS included.

Remember that Amex charges a 3% FX fee when you use your card abroad so, if you have a card from another provider with 0% FX fees, remember to factor in the FX fee when working out how much you will save.

The rules do not say if cumulative spend counts.  It usually does with American Express hotel promotions, but until we get feedback from other readers you shouldn’t rely on it.

The Accor website is here if you want to scope out your options.  If you don’t want to earn Le Club AccorHotels points, you can take Avios directly instead.  Credit to Iberia Plus and not British Airways Executive Club as the rate is twice as high – you can use ‘Combine My Avios’ to move them across to BA afterwards.

How I got a great deal from Melia's Black Friday 'buy points' offer
CONFIRMED: Virgin Group to retain control of Virgin Atlantic, share sale to Air France-KLM abandoned

Comments

1. O/T – what is the most accurate way to calculate 355 days prior for BA to open up avios availability?

Excel is giving me a different date to a date calculator online.

Could someone kindly confirm that avios for a flight operating on Saturday 19th December 2020 will open at 12am GMT on Sunday 29th December 2019 (being 355 days on Monday 30th December 2019)?

Many thanks!

• Check what date is available to book TODAY. And add the relevant amount of days on.

• Peter K says:

• Ta, that confirms excel is correct. BA online only shows up to Saturday 21st November right now – therefore 355 days (Sunday 22nd November) will appear at 12am GMT. TIA.

• I spent 48 minutes on the phone to the “US” (had no idea that it was in the UK) at midnight last night adding a return leg to my outbound 2-4-1 for the 21st next year. 48 minutes!

Taxes were still recalculated, FYI.

• Thanks Graeme, how did you get the taxes sorted out?

• The nice lady on the phone did it automatically. I was curious given recent developments whether it’d be an issue.

2. Harry T says:

OT: Various deals:
    American Express has launched presale tickets to Hyde Park concerts 10-11th July. Good opportunity for people to see Pearl Jam or Taylor Swift, as you can buy cheapish tickets before general release. Maybe even buy them for your kids or grandkids?

There’s some very cheap EasyJet tickets from Edinburgh to Milan in August – £70 per person return, HBO. Just snaffled some and cancelled my Avios tickets to Florence and back (16,000 Avios and £242). May be of interest to some as Venice and Florence are also easily accessible by train from Milan.

3. Morrisons/Amex – anyone having issues with not receiving cashback in last week? it has always worked ok for me but 2 transactions a week last saturday still not showing the credit

4. I got the following offer that I seemed to be automatically signed up to on my BA PP.

Get 1 Extra Avios on every transaction of £4 anywhere until 27 December 2019. Terms and payment restrictions apply.

5. Shoestring says:

Got a cheeky £100 Amazon & yep instant success email & shows pending online a/c, so today is still fine

giftcard racks heaving with John Lewis cards! whereas I had to get my Amazons in £20s

6. Still never get any offers from Amex, and just get told hard luck when I complain 🙁

• Shoestring says:

check your marketing preferences/ settings – have you turned everything off?

• Charlieface says:

Seems to be some sort of bug with Amex that some cards just don’t get any offers at all. Sometimes fixed by removing the card from Online Services then re-adding

• I’ve got the same issue with all 6 of my cards! wish Rob run an article about this, and force amex to fix this instead of giving us the don’t care not my problem!

7. Shoestring says:

*Free fiver on Curve*

Not got Curve but apparently there’s an account specific free fiver getting sent to some/ many a/cs

you can get the offer in an email or just see it as a message on your phone in the app/ make any purchase to get it

As noted by a poster [Icewhite: If you get it spend it before they go bust.]

8. OT, Anyone else having delays getting ‘shop small’ added to there sup cards?

• Peter K says:

My main card took about 2-3 weeks to have shop small offer added. I had a different offer about a week before so it wasn’t just I hadn’t had the card long enough. I got the card after the initial shop small offer appeared on other cards so that might well have been the issue.

• Yes, very frustrating…

• Just chased CS again today and I started to see emails coming through of being enrolled in Shop Small

• I raised it with Amex CS, and the offer was manually added 5 days later. They send a note to a ‘department’ that looks into it may take up to 10 days.

9. Spaghetti Town says:

OT: My two uncles will be travelling to Las Vegas together from Heathrow Terminal 5 (no lounge access).

Anyone have a deal/cheap price for the Aspire lounge (or the other pay one) in T5?

• The Original Nick says:

Google DP Telegraph offer. £20/person for Plaza Premium.

• Shoestring says:

1. tough one, Aspire takes Priority Pass but no other lounge cards

2. you can get into Plaza Premium by buying Dragonpass £18 each https://salaryextras.dragonpassuk.com – but no reservation included

£17.33 if you can find the RCI discount code! (I didn’t look, normally easy enough to find it then put it into standard Dragonpass ordering page/ codes & vouchers)

• fivebobbill says:

Has Aspire changed the rules? I haven’t been in there for years, well since I got the Amex Plat and Plaza Premium access, however I’m sure I was getting into Aspire before that with a Lounge Club pass via Amex Pref Gold?
        Not that I miss it mind…

• Shoestring says:

that’s what it said online, mind you this is Aspire T5 and I know for sure you can get into Club Aspire T3 with all the lounge cards

10. I used my Mulberry offer (spend £300 get £100 back) a few days ago but no email to confirm I used it from Amex. However, have used the red letter days offer 3 times stacked with their discount codes and each time triggered the email from Amex. Same with the Fortnums offer, email received straight away. All online purchases …….accessed via BA e-store for additional avios.

I’ve not got the JL, Harrods, Debs or Fenwick offers but do have the TFL one.

11. Shoestring says:

1. If you’ve got Sky, log in and see if you get a free movie to keep forever in the Sky Store – I saw Love Actually mentioned online (which my wife likes a lot) but actually it sort of navigated me to Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw (2019) so I got that for free instead, much more fun than watching the same old romcom 🙂

2. and Amazon Prime just started streaming the first of its free Premier League games – Burnley vs Man City tonight (+ 1 other I think) – streaming nicely

• Shoestring you always like getting your monies worth so I would have thought you would have gone for The Irishman

• Shoestring says:

I think that’s just Netflix at the mo, I’ll probably grab it over Xmas/ New Year, which is one of the times I catch up on movies, quiet village & long evenings…

• Shoestring says:

turned out a great match – plus the streaming was OK for the most part – good to see some amateurish graphics and modest ad breaks after the excesses of Sky and BT Sports! More big matches tomorrow, quite a few of the teams what I support are playing so not sure which game to watch at this stage