Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Get cheap Bollinger for Christmas via an Amex / Laithwaites offer

If you are looking to stock up on champagne for Christmas, an interesting offer was flagged up in the comments section this week by babyg.

Many American Express cards currently feature an offer from wine merchant Laithwaites. Their home page is here.

You will receive £20 cashback when you spend £75 online by 17th November.

American Express montage

If you see this offer on the online statement page for any of your cards, or in the Amex app, remember to click ‘Save to Card’ to activate it.

Champagne deals from Laithwaites

Opinion varies about the quality of the wine sold by Laithwaites, which is virtually all under ‘house’ labels. This makes it difficult to compare pricing.

However, it does stock a range of branded champagnes, beers and spirits. Many of these are already reduced before factoring in the Amex cashback.

Here is the champagne home page.

Of the current special offers, you have:

• Champagne Laurent-Perrier La Cuvée (£29.99, was £39.99)
  • Champagne Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label Brut (£32.98, was £42)
  • Champagne Louis Roederer Brut Premier (£32.98, was £43.99)
  • Champagne Deutz Brut Classic (£33.99, was £40)
  • Champagne Bollinger Special Cuvée Brut (£34.98, was £44.99 – note that this bottle only comes up if you seach ‘Bollinger’ or click here, it is not on the champagne page)
  • Champagne Charles Heidsieck Brut Réserve (£39.99, was £45)
  • Champagne Veuve Clicquot Brut Rosé (£41.96, was £46)
  • Moet & Chandon Grand Vintage 2012 (£41.98, was £55)
  • Champagne Laurent-Perrier Cuvée Rosé Brut (£48.98, was £60)
  • Champagne Laurent-Perrier Grand Siècle Iteration 24 (£105, was £125)
Bollinger special offer

Top up with beer if necessary

It is relatively easy to mix and match two bottles to hit £75 and trigger the cashback.

The person who flagged had bought two Bollingers for £69.96 and topped it up with £5 of bottled beer from this page.

Delivery is a flat £7.99 per order to UK addresses.

The Laithwaites home page here. Don’t forget to save the Amex cashback offer before ordering. The Amex cashback deal requires your card to be charged by 17th November.

Comments (103)

• James says:

Why would they have needed to top up their order if there is a £7.99 delivery charge? Amex will credit based on the total amount billed, no?

• Will says:

Tesco and Sainsbury’s were cheaper a fortnight ago with similar Discounted pricing on LP Bolly LPR and some vintage bubblies stacking with 25% off for any 6. Piper was around £17 net. Bolly around £26. Covid is resulting in Champagne Price wars as so many parties have been cancelled this year. Even Heathrow was selling Taittinger vintage at £27 in September.

• MattB says:

Exactly, in Sainsbury’s I picked up the LP Cuvee Rose for £37.50, magnum of Moet for £48 and LP la Cuvee for £22.50 in the recent 25% offer. Don’t think I have ever seen them any cheaper than that.

• Andrew says:

Tesco had Taittinger on offer for £28 during their 25% off a couple of weeks ago when you buy 6 bottles of wine, so was down to £21. And you could combine say 1 or 2 bottles of that with 4 bottles of cheap wine to make the 6.

• AspirationalFlyer says:

I got the Piper for £17 a bottle. Each bottle came in its own gift box too so would make a nice gift.

• babyg says:

Bolly always seems to be sold out during these Tesco deals in my area (se1), but yes when Tesco/Sainsbury have 25% off and £10 champagne its a hard deal to beat.

• MD says:

I have this offer on my platinum card. There is an identical £20 off £75 spend on my BA Amex with a company called “The Wine Flyer”, whoever that is.

• tony says:

The Wine Flyer is the BA/Laithwaites tie up I believe, so you get a few Avios in with the deal, too, if you buy a case https://www.bawineflyer.co.uk/

For my money I’d go with the Louis Roederer rather than the Bollinger.

• Mike G says:

Wine Flyer is the “BA Wine Club”…run by Laithwaites and offers 250 Avios for each order, along with a bonus for the first order.

• Cheshire Pete says:

The ‘laithwaites’ is on Gold Amex ‘wine flyer’ on BA Amex. I joined wine flyer some time ago, but always use ‘laithwaites’ site. I still get the 250 avios! I wondered how I would trigger the ‘wine flyer’ offer as I’d already used ‘laithwaites’ I’d completely forgotten about the ‘wine flyer’ portal even though this is how I joined the wine plan many years ago! It must the same ‘back end’ so I presume I need to login via ‘wine flyer’ to get that offer on my BAPP card so it bills to ‘wine flyer’ and not ‘laithwaites’ !?

• Dave says:

I used the amex wineflyer offer. Bills as Lathwaites wine Berkshire.

• ThinkSquare says:

I have the wineflyer offer only. Will it trigger for spend on the normal Laithwaites site?

• Rob says:

I’ve no idea how Wine Flyer purchases go through your card statement to be honest.

• Darren says:

Can’t guarantee it will, but I purchased via Wine Flyer and on my BA Amex the charge is Laithwaites Wine Berkshire and the Amex credit has come through as -£20 Laithwaites Wine.

• Will says:

Davey’s wine has £30 off £150 and free delivery over £100 I think. Some bottles discounted so prob a deal to be had. Eg pol roger Or Gosset look interesting.

• daftboy says:

Yes, just ordered a few bottles of Pol Roger and some Gusbourne – post discount it’s about ~£21 a bottle which I’m quite happy with

• Cheshire Pete says:

The LPGS was £100 a few weeks ago when mixed with any other 12 bottles. I got a bottle for Xmas at that price to remind me of the CCR! Then when added with a £20 voucher I had plus another 10% off Perkbox To Go via Amex also, it worked out at £72. Well that’s how I justified it anyhow!

• Berneslai says:

This is barely a bargain. Then you add the extortionate delivery fee.

• Anna says:

Delivery is free if you order 18 bottles so to get the best value you need to order in bulk and stack all the available offers!
      Blue light card gets 20% off on top of it all.

• Rob says:

I’m sure you can drive a few hundred miles to their warehouse to collect if you want to save £7.99, since you clearly consider this cheaper!

• James says:

Or you can pick it up from your local Laithwaites store free or charge

• Neil Spellings says:

The website gives me no option to choose collection..do you have to order by phone to get this?

• Rich says:

What would you consider a fair price to send a heavy, fragile, valuable parcel hundreds of miles, potentially requiring several visits to the client’s address?

• Rob says:

Give him £5 and he’ll drive to Berkshire, pick it up and drive it to your house.

You know a First Class stamp is 76p these days?

• Geoggy says:

On the Wineflyer site there is a code 40OFF which gets you £40 off your first order and free delivery with a 12 bottle order

• Andrew says:

With BA continuing their cost cutting dressed up as Covid-secure arrangements, there must be a lot of LPGS sitting about in a warehouse somewhere. I read somewhere that there is currently a world oversupply of champagne as most of it is drunk at weddings, in bars/restaurants, and in the travel industry, all of which are not consuming much at all now. So I think we will see a lot of champagne clearance offers in the new year once the festive season is over.