Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards The HSBC Premier Mastercards thread

• Froggee 897 posts

@TGLoyalty is just winding up @JDB.

@JDB
    is known for being highly scrupulous and has been very disapproving of those who caned the living daylights out of Creation and also those who play the sign-up bonus game with Amex.

So it’s an interesting turn up for the books that 40,000 HSBC reward points (cash value £160+) have magically appeared in @JDB’s account and he is happy to keep quiet and enjoy them. But then @JDB has admitted to doing a bit of Curving in the past to pay HMRC bills, which seeing as we are among friends, is clearly an abuse of a credit card as it is earning points on an activity that is blocked to personal credit cards by HMRC and is therefore getting around rules that HMRC have put in place.

But that’s okay. @JDB I’m impressed at your new found fluidity which is indeed very fashionable.

And who knows, if @JDB gets a taste for these bonus points, he might start pushing the envelope a little bit further? I for one hope this happens as with his insider knowledge I reckon he could be very, very good at this game.

@JDB
    , I salute you sir!

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

There must be more to this – I put over £11k of points earning spend through my card last month (Sept 07 statement date) and did not trigger this… neither have I had the ’email’ supposedly sent to the naughty bendy people (as a Channel Islander I cannot even possess that card). 🙁

The Urbanite 118 posts

The card is a new product really. The old HSBC Premier paid out points on everything, even buying GBP stablecoins fee free and topping up bank accounts without ever charging a fee and the interest easily avoided.

This new product excludes at least MCCs 4829, 6012, 6051, 6211, 6540 and maybe 9399 from the Premier rewards programme and some if not all now attract cash advance fees!

points_worrier 295 posts

I’ve had a cash advance fee for a test transaction topping up my isa. End of an era. Has been doing quite nicely from that.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Good. Reaching the end of 2 year membership and makes the decision to cancel easy. Now, need to cancel before they charge the annual fee.

Good. Reaching the end of 2 year membership and makes the decision to cancel easy. Now, need to cancel before they charge the annual fee.

If you do cancel apparently you only need a six month period without the card to be eligible for the introductory bonus points again.

Also, if you haven’t spent much on the card recently, possibly worth first trying to exceed the £2,000 spend target since the relaunched portal date as that might trigger another 40,000 point bonus?

Froggee 897 posts

Having been tipped off by @JDB (I don’t care if it was someone else mentioned it first, that’s my version of the story and I’m sticking to it) I bunged £1,000 of council tax on my HSBC WE card on Friday evening to get me up to £2,000 spend since the new points portal thingy came in.

The 2,000 points for that spend appeared today (correctly dated Friday on statement) and I have also been awarded the “@JDB bonanza initial signup bonus” today.

So HSBC’s IT has worked very efficiently here.

Froggee happy.

We reckon Mrs Froggee is about £250 short (she prefers to do her spending on my cards and doesn’t have a supplemental for my HSBC card). She is buying a gift voucher on Amazon as I type this…

points_worrier 295 posts

Do we think this will mean another bonus in one year if we spend £12k?

Froggee 897 posts

Do we think this will mean another bonus in one year if we spend £12k?

I’m certainly thinking this! Unless I hear otherwise.

So I’ll be spending £12k on it but will leave the points untouched to give HSBC a sporting chance at clawing them back.

byronlewis 41 posts

Hello all

Looking at the HSBC Premier Account – wondering what their criteria is for proof of income. I see it needs to be at least £75k. Can anyone tell me how they are deciding this? Is it having £75k in your account constantly, or do tax returns count as proof? I am self-employed and my annual income is above this and has been over the last 3 years, but there isn’t £75k in my HSBC Advance account! I also have life insurance with them which counts as part of the criteria so that bit should be easy to fulfil.

Also just to add I have my Business accounts (Sole Trader) with HSBC

Can anyone help before I contact the bank?

Cheers

Byron

JDB 4,384 posts

Hello all

Looking at the HSBC Premier Account – wondering what their criteria is for proof of income. I see it needs to be at least £75k. Can anyone tell me how they are deciding this? Is it having £75k in your account constantly, or do tax returns count as proof? I am self-employed and my annual income is above this and has been over the last 3 years, but there isn’t £75k in my HSBC Advance account! I also have life insurance with them which counts as part of the criteria so that bit should be easy to fulfil.

Cheers

Byron

It so doesn’t matter how much you have in your account, it’s just the annual income they want to know. They didn’t check mine when I applied, but if they do you can send evidence such as tax statements.

sloth 315 posts

Hello all

Cheers

Byron

Apologies, I clicked on report instead of reply… 🙁

They don’t check your income. You also don’t HAVE to pay in the equivalent into the account. However it’s obviously not ideal to lie to your bank about income when they may have other information you have given previously which doesn’t tally up. I’m not suggesting this is you

qingzi 3 posts

The card is a new product really. The old HSBC Premier paid out points on everything, even buying GBP stablecoins fee free and topping up bank accounts without ever charging a fee and the interest easily avoided.

This new product excludes at least MCCs 4829, 6012, 6051, 6211, 6540 and maybe 9399 from the Premier rewards programme and some if not all now attract cash advance fees!

Apologies, the Report and Quote buttons are too close together for me on a phone screen…

May I ask which GBP stablecoins they are and where to buy them fee free from, please?

Thanks!

The Urbanite 118 posts

Apologies, the Report and Quote buttons are too close together for me on a phone screen…

May I ask which GBP stablecoins they are and where to buy them fee free from, please?

Thanks!

You could buy £24k a week of TGBP from Crypto.Com for free using the Premier card. However that golden goose jumped on the boat a while ago!

duke 41 posts

As you may be aware, we have an obligation to monitor transactions through Curve accounts. Whilst reviewing your account, we have noticed certain transactions taking place on your account, that might prevent goes against our fair use policy and how we would expect our services to be used.

Specifically, we have observed a number of transactions that cash recycling may be occuring, (e.g. revolving borrowed or own funds between financial institutions for financial gain).

What do they think i am paying a subscription for?

Andrew M 12 posts

Bonus points have now arrived in my Etihad account for transfers made during the recent 20% promotion.

There’s also a new promotion with 15% bonus on HSBC (and Amex) transfers to Cathay miles running from 13th September 2022 to 12th November 2022. Registration is required to qualify for the bonus.

https://mainlymiles.com/2022/09/13/transfer-credit-card-points-to-cathay-pacific-asia-miles-with-up-to-15-bonus-2/

Luca M 391 posts

With regards to proof of income, when I did upgrade myself, and even though payment into my account would have suggested meeting the criteria, I was asked to bring proof of income which I done though payslip, P60 and tax return (due to dividends /other incomes).

Also, UK banks do share “real income” information so that is another check

Pointofview 36 posts

Hello fellow World Elitist’s, does anyone know where you would see the charge of the 3% fee for using the card in a way that they have now deemed chargeable?

I have just made a transaction that i assumed would fall under the new category and it only shows the amount taken so far and no excess amount or fees for the new charge.

Does the charge get added to your balance and transaction history at a later date or is it instant at the point of the transaction?

Thank you

rum 275 posts

Does anyone know if when applying online for a credit card (I’m already a Premier current account customer), I will get a hard credit check on my file?

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Does anyone know if when applying online for a credit card (I’m already a Premier current account customer), I will get a hard credit check on my file?

Yes, you will. HSBC treats it as a different product. I dont know if they do a credit check for current account if you refuse overdraft, but definitely another one for the card. The only time you avoid it is when you apply card at the same time as current account.

rum 275 posts

Yes, you will. HSBC treats it as a different product. I dont know if they do a credit check for current account if you refuse overdraft, but definitely another one for the card. The only time you avoid it is when you apply card at the same time as current account.

Ah, many thanks for this. That explains why I avoided the hit last time…

0 post

Has anyone been charged £20 for using LoungeKey? I’ve just been charged 2 weeks after visiting lounge!

When does the year 1 bonus 40k points post in my account? 1 year anniversary (which has passed by 1 week and I’ve had my yearly statement a month ago) or statement date please? I was hoping for a double bonus 😉

My elite points have stopped appearing on my statement since July? I was expecting this to continue since the changes but has this stopped for all?

Thanks All

JDB 4,384 posts

The Y1 bonus for spending £12k should post in the statement month after anniversary when the new Y2 fee will also be charged. The points have not been showing on statements since July, but you can now see the points and better breakdown than before on a desktop or iPad. Barclaycard also doesn’t show points on statements.

Pointofview 36 posts

Just to let everyone know it took 48 hours for the charge to show on the transaction I made.
    I got charged £15 for a £500 card payment that I thought wouldn’t have fallen under the naughty categories.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.