Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards The HSBC Premier Mastercards thread

• Mexd 10 posts

Bad time to join the party with seagulls?

Can someone give me a clue as to what this refers to? That and Solihull? I can work out the other ones but I’m at a loss with these two!

Reney 766 posts

@Polly,

I had not realise the extra points get posted in month 2 statement, that should be added to the main article. I have been logging on every day looking for them 🤣.

Anyway have called, was assured I would get points and they have not received my downgrade form from 12 days ago (sent before year end). So will have to go into branch to get one printed and scanned direct. Then call again to get refund cause 99.9% chance that the downgrade won’t trigger the refund according to the agent as 2 different teams handle it. 😂

Guernsey Globetrotter 588 posts

Can someone give me a clue as to what this refers to? That and Solihull? I can work out the other ones but I’m at a loss with these two!

@Mexd
    Lateral thinking is required for the first – the football team Brighton and Hove Albion are nicknamed ‘The Seagulls’ – have a look at what their stadium is called and you’ll have your answer. The second is a bit more straightforward as it’s simply a credit card issuer (well, no longer an ‘issuer’) which is headquartered in that town in the West Midlands 🙂

Mick S 271 posts

Data point : just tried a dummy transfer of HSBC points to BAEC.
    Still not showing a 25% uplift just now, or whatever the bonus usually is.

dougzz99 623 posts

Seagulls is Amex and Solihull is Creation and the IHG cards.

rahaney 44 posts

It doesn’t matter since HSBC have stopped awarding points for paying off either of these…

09R 49 posts

Hi all

Just opened a premier current account and am waiting for the details to come through the post so that I can apply for the WE (opted not to go for the premier card then upgrade).

Just wondered if there are any monthly point earning limits with WE (I.e capped at monthly credit limit) or can you pay off your balance multiple times a month and still get the points on all purchases.

Thanks

JDB 4,374 posts

Hi all

Just opened a premier current account and am waiting for the details to come through the post so that I can apply for the WE (opted not to go for the premier card then upgrade).

Just wondered if there are any monthly point earning limits with WE (I.e capped at monthly credit limit) or can you pay off your balance multiple times a month and still get the points on all purchases.

Thanks

There is no monthly cap. The one unusual thing to note about HSBC WE is that for some types of transaction, they award no points even if they don’t apply fees/interest something that isn’t clear from the T&Cs.

09R 49 posts

Hi all

Thanks

There is no monthly cap. The one unusual thing to note about HSBC WE is that for some types of transaction, they award no points even if they don’t apply fees/interest something that isn’t clear from the T&Cs.

Thanks JDB. Can you think of any examples of transactions that do not attract any fees and don’t earn points?

JDB 4,374 posts

Hi all

Thanks

Thanks JDB. Can you think of any examples of transactions that do not attract any fees and don’t earn points?

HMRC is one, but it does sometimes give points from recent experience.

The Urbanite 118 posts

Yes, they’ve been silently excluding MCCs for the rewards programme. No hints as to which ones unlike other card issuers.

One is definitely 6051. So no more buying GBP stablecoins to generate millions of points for free!

mbflyer 3 posts

There is an offer for 20% bonus points on Etihad transfers until the end of the month.

I am going to cancel my Premier card before the annual fee is charged on Friday .. so need to decide whether to transfer to Etihad for the bonus, or to BA or another program at standard rates. Etihad is tempting as some decent redemption options, both with them or their range of partners.

Reney 766 posts

@mbflyer, any reason not to downgrade and make the decision later? besides it is a real faff and involves more phone calls than necessary (per my postings before).

Speedbird676 15 posts

App hasnt shown points for a while now (used to, why remove the visibility), and last statement not having a points earned/summary. So you now have to login to the website to check your points balance has gone up.

Apologies if you’re already aware…
    You can see your last few points per transaction details on the website by clicking on “points balance” and then “spend points” and scolling to the bottom.
    I’m not sure if this is new but I’ve only just noticed it anyway!

What is missing in the new portal, though, is the ability to see when your points are expiring.

I tried to raise this via Chat the other day and just got canned responses telling me how to check how many points I have and then how to spend them. Useless!

yorkieflyer 259 posts

Doesn’t look like any BA transfer bonus this summer, just like me to turn up too late to the party

There is an offer for 20% bonus points on Etihad transfers until the end of the month.

I am going to cancel my Premier card before the annual fee is charged on Friday .. so need to decide whether to transfer to Etihad for the bonus, or to BA or another program at standard rates. Etihad is tempting as some decent redemption options, both with them or their range of partners.

Where are you seeing this transfer bonus? It shows as the standard 2 Point = 1 Etihad Guest Miles for me 🙁

JDB 4,374 posts

App hasnt shown points for a while now (used to, why remove the visibility), and last statement not having a points earned/summary. So you now have to login to the website to check your points balance has gone up.

You can see your last few points per transaction details on the website by clicking on “points balance” and then “spend points” and scolling to the bottom.

What is missing in the new portal, though, is the ability to see when your points are expiring.

I tried to raise this via Chat the other day and just got canned responses telling me how to check how many points I have and then how to spend them. Useless!

The expiry date of points is clearly shown under the points total on the first page of the portal.

mbflyer 3 posts
    Andrew M 12 posts

It’s worth noting that there was a 40% bonus for transfers from HSBC UK to Etihad Guest earlier this year. You only received 40% on the first 100,000 HSBC points that you sent (so you received 50,000 Etihad Guest points plus 20,000 bonus). The current 20% bonus appears to be unlimited. I’m not getting too excited about the 20% bonus as I didn’t receive the promised bonus last time. In fact I didn’t receive ANY points as they vanished into thin air. Despite many attempts to rectify the situation with Etihad by email I came to a dead end and the points are lost. Be wary!

Thanks for this info @mbflyer – shame it’s not for avios but it’s still a decent offer if you are interested in Etihad routes…

@Andrew
    M that is a scary cautionary tale indeed – very frustrating !

Andrew M 12 posts

Thanks for this info @mbflyer – shame it’s not for avios but it’s still a decent offer if you are interested in Etihad routes…

@Andrew
    M that is a scary cautionary tale indeed – very frustrating !

It’s not an isolated incident with HSBC to Etihad Guest transfers. I didn’t receive the bonus points on a previous transfer (though I did receive the normal points). Etihad refused to award the bonus despite several emails asking them to do it. I also know of at least one other member of this community who didn’t get bonus points when he should have. He was able to get the points awarded eventually though. Transfers to Etihad Guest are risky but at least now there is a statement page on the HSBC website showing points earned and redeemed. That should help if Etihad deny all knowledge of receiving the points.

Benilyn 150 posts

I’ve managed to get the Etihad bonuses in the past on two occasions.

Speedbird676 15 posts

The expiry date of points is clearly shown under the points total on the first page of the portal.

This is the portal page I get (after clicking the points total link in Online Banking).

Portal Screenshot

The expiry date is nowhere to be seen. I have looked everywhere and can’t find it. I agree that before the upgrade the upcoming expiry of points was shown month by month on the front page.

Speedbird676 15 posts

Re-posting image as previous link was broken
    Portal Screenshot

rams 223 posts

Re-posting image as previous link was broken
    Portal Screenshot

Mine is like yours. Also don’t see many historical transactions listed to know what got points and what didn’t

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.