Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express New £300 Platinum dining credit July 2022

• DreamingOfFirstClass 16 posts

Anyone used their credit at George W.P.A. in Amsterdam? Went there on 2nd September and no email or credit applied as yet.

How was the George ?
    Might be in Amsterdam soon.
    Have you tried any others on the list ?
    Cheers.

DreamingOfFirstClass 16 posts

We used our abroad credit at The Duchess in Amsterdam last weekend. It’s one of the restaurants at the W, and has 1 Michelin star. It was nice enough, but certainly not Michelin standard – if we were paying full price for it, we’d have been really disappointed. Once we were sat down they explained that their concept (oh-oh…) is that guests should share their starters and mains, but nowhere on their website is that mentioned. They are full-seized dishes, not tapas-sized, so this just seems to be to give the kitchen an excuse when they fail to co-ordinate sending dishes to the same table. As my wife is veggie and I’m not our food was delivered at different times, and one of us had to wait whilst the other tucked in to avoid the dish going cold.

We had a bit of the credit left over, so used it at Mr Porter, the other restaurant at the W the following evening. Service was atrocious, although partially rescued by an English waitress who when she asked how everything was part way through our main course, received a more honest (although politely so) answer than she might have been expecting. However, judging by her reaction it may not have been the first time that she had heard such feedback. We had originally been seated at the bar over the dishwasher, and were initially refused when we asked to move to one of the many spare tables; when my order was taken I was told that the chef wouldn’t cook my fillet steak blue and would only do it medium-rare, and the macaroni cheese side-dish (actually my wife’s main) was stodgy and unseasoned. That was cooked for us again, and was completely different a second time around, but we wouldn’t return to either of those restaurants.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

SteveJ 977 posts

So buying a £150 Ivy gift card in an appropriate restaurant, stacking with the Platinum card and the current offer of £20 off a £120 spend, could net me a £150 gift card and a £20 refund back on the card, with no cost to myself?

*slopes off the ebay, to see what the going rate is for a £150 Ivy gift card

Do we now know the list of participating restaurants for the £20 off £120 offer? Wasn’t working last I checked.

alig4th 322 posts

Do we now know the list of participating restaurants for the £20 off £120 offer? Wasn’t working last I checked.

I got a list from AMEX Chat the other day. If you search the forums there’s a specific thread about this offer and it’s in there

SteveJ 977 posts

I got a list from AMEX Chat the other day. If you search the forums there’s a specific thread about this offer and it’s in there

Thanks, anyone else interested it’s on this page:
    https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/amex-offers-latest/page/15/

StanTheMan 216 posts

Anyone used their credit at George W.P.A. in Amsterdam? Went there on 2nd September and no email or credit applied as yet.

How was the George ?
    Cheers.

George was a bit Meh for us. I’d def recommend Ron’s Gastrobar.
    We also went to the Oriental Downtown one – but that isnt on the list….

squawk7700 83 posts

Any recommendations on the dining credit list for a solid restaurant in Paris?

Nothing too serious (Michelin star/7 course tasting menu isn’t particularly our vibe).

meta 1,426 posts

Japan and Pocket Concierge tie-up no longer on the Amex dining list!

I knew this wasn’t going to last given that you could get a free meal at the top Michelin sushi restaurants or most restaurants for that matter.

Good that I spotted this as I have a reservation for later this month which I paid a small deposit, but it never tracked. Hopefully, I can persuade them to refund it.

peckishpassport 44 posts

I knew this wasn’t going to last given that you could get a free meal at the top Michelin sushi restaurants or most restaurants for that matter.

Good that I spotted this as I have a reservation for later this month which I paid a small deposit, but it never tracked. Hopefully, I can persuade them to refund it.

When did this change?

I booked a couple of restaurants in Tokyo yesterday through Pocket Concierge hoping to use the dining credit!

peckishpassport 44 posts

@Meta
    – Quick update – I rang Amex in Brighton and they couldn’t answer why Pocket Concierge or indeed Japan disappeared from the list.

However, she did a Merchant# search based on the Pocket Concierge charge on my card, and confirmed that those transactions would absolutely be eligible for the abroad dining credit. She did make a note all of this on my account and asked me to call if the Dining credit doesn’t get credited.

meta 1,426 posts

I wouldn’t trust an agent. T&C are quite clear that you should check whether the restaurant is on the list or not before you dine and spend.

It must have been quite recent. I last checked maybe 2 weeks ago when I booked in Tokyo as well as my farewell meal. I also never got credit for the deposit (only about £20), so it’s unlikely. I’ve cancelled my booking as no doubt they’ll refer to T&C. Pocket Concierge refunded me the deposit because it’s well in advance.

Here’s from T&C:
    “Participating restaurants can be found here. This list is subject to change without notice (e.g., because they end their participation in this benefit, or our arrangements with them change). Please check before you dine as you’ll not receive a statement credit if the restaurant isn’t on the list.”

spawn606 47 posts

Hi all,

This is 9 pages long so forgive me for skipping.

Im visiting the US in December and want to secure a booking now to use the foreign voucher offer.

I’ve been stung before by amex removing the restaurant from the list so wanted to buy a gift card for the restaurant now. Would this qualify? Anything I need to consider or check to see that this would work? Assuming it’s charged through the restaurant.

Thanks

Skywalker 693 posts

Hi all,

This is 9 pages long so forgive me for skipping.

Im visiting the US in December and want to secure a booking now to use the foreign voucher offer.

I’ve been stung before by amex removing the restaurant from the list so wanted to buy a gift card for the restaurant now. Would this qualify? Anything I need to consider or check to see that this would work? Assuming it’s charged through the restaurant.

Thanks

The answer is likely listed in the 9 pages you have just skipped 😉

RCHammer 64 posts

How was the George ?
    Cheers.

We chose the George WPA because we were there for the Dutch Grand Prix and didn’t want too posh. George WPA looked the least fussy in terms of plain food, rather than nouvelle cuisine etc. It was indeed unfussy food and was okay – there’s a limit to how good you can make a hamburger! The location is nice, in the museum quarter, and it’s great for people-watching because it has a terrace in the square. While we were there a couple pulled up, got out of their gull-wing door car, with a tiny hairy dog in a Gucci dog carrier handbag thing (that my daughter imeediately checked the price of – £1,800!) so it is obviously the place to go to see and be seen rather than for the culinary experience

sm 178 posts

Good morning. Was at ivy last night and used plat card to pay. I received a ‘you used your The Ivy collection offer’ ( £20 cashback when spending £120 ). Should I have also received a ‘ you used your dining credit’ email too? This ivy was definitely on both lists as participating.Thank you very much.

SteveJ 977 posts

Good morning. Was at ivy last night and used plat card to pay. I received a ‘you used your The Ivy collection offer’ ( £20 cashback when spending £120 ). Should I have also received a ‘ you used your dining credit’ email too? This ivy was definitely on both lists as participating.Thank you very much.

The emails are very hit and miss. If they’re on both lists you’ll get both credits.

GJS 28 posts

If a restaurant (in Vienna) is on the list, but the owner of the restaurant has never heard of the offer, am I right to think this will still track? They definitely accept Amex.

SteveJ 977 posts

If a restaurant (in Vienna) is on the list, but the owner of the restaurant has never heard of the offer, am I right to think this will still track? They definitely accept Amex.

Yes

GJS 28 posts

Thanks Steve. Got a screenshot of Amex chat confirming the same, just in case.

peckishpassport 44 posts

I wouldn’t trust an agent. T&C are quite clear that you should check whether the restaurant is on the list or not before you dine and spend.

It must have been quite recent. I last checked maybe 2 weeks ago when I booked in Tokyo as well as my farewell meal. I also never got credit for the deposit (only about £20), so it’s unlikely. I’ve cancelled my booking as no doubt they’ll refer to T&C. Pocket Concierge refunded me the deposit because it’s well in advance.

Here’s from T&C:
    “Participating restaurants can be found here. This list is subject to change without notice (e.g., because they end their participation in this benefit, or our arrangements with them change). Please check before you dine as you’ll not receive a statement credit if the restaurant isn’t on the list.”

My card was eventually charged for the two bookings through Pocket Concierge but my reservations are for the end of November. I got in touch with Amex again to confirm my transactions were eligible for the Abroad Dining Credit, and the answer was yes.

Also, I asked why Tokyo/Japan and PC had disappeared, and the agent advised that they had to temporarily remove PC due to renegotiations. They expect an actual restaurant list for Japan to be added in about two weeks.

ee 48 posts

Thanks this is really useful. Any reports of problems crediting when you buy a gift card in the restaurant itself? I assume it goes through a ‘normal’ till? There is a branch near my office which is on both offers so am tempted to go get a £150 card.

thehornets 18 posts

How long is it taking for people to see the dining credit applied to the bill?

I was in the Ivy Cambridge last weekend (lovely room, great service, good food), received the email about the £20 Ivy offer almost immediately but have seen no sign of either credit on my account.

Many thanks!

sm 178 posts

How long is it taking for people to see the dining credit applied to the bill?

I was in the Ivy Cambridge last weekend (lovely room, great service, good food), received the email about the £20 Ivy offer almost immediately but have seen no sign of either credit on my account.

Many thanks!

Went to ivy in Leeds on Sunday 23/10. £150 credit appeared on account dated 24/10 👍 ( sadly didn’t have £20 cashback on this account )

sm 178 posts

Thanks this is really useful. Any reports of problems crediting when you buy a gift card in the restaurant itself? I assume it goes through a ‘normal’ till? There is a branch near my office which is on both offers so am tempted to go get a £150 card.

I can confirm gift cards do trigger cashback if purchased at the participating restaurant.

xefo 47 posts

Does anyone know how long it takes for credits to appear on the account? Have had the card for about a week now and still nothing.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.