Virgin Atlantic Sale

Plaza Premium loses management of Cathay Pacific lounge at Heathrow

Plaza Premium confirmed to us this week that it is no longer managing the Cathay Pacific lounge in Heathrow Terminal 3.

We had heard rumours of this from readers in the last couple of weeks, along with more worrying reports about a deterioration in food quality and service.  I don’t know who has replaced Plaza Premium – Accor manages the nearby Qantas lounge so it could be them – or who initiated the move.

Plaza Premium dropped from management of Cathay Pacific lounge Heathrow

The Cathay Pacific First Class lounge was, by far, the best option for a British Airways Executive Gold member flying out of Heathrow Terminal 3I reviewed it here.  You’d be a mug to use BA’s Galleries First lounge, which I reviewed here.  Let’s hope that the recent feedback reports are only a transitional blip.

(Before anyone asks, if you have a British Airways Executive Club Silver card then I tend to recommend the Qantas lounge in Terminal 3, purely on grounds of scale.  The Cathay Pacific Business lounge is smaller but quieter.  Unless you are looking for a specific drink, item of food or magazine there is no logical reason to go near the American Airlines or British Airways lounges.)

Amex to open its first Centurion Lounge in Europe - at Heathrow Terminal 3
LOT launches London City to Vilnius - and will BA launch Islamabad?

IHG Sale

Comments

1. Big Ernie McCracken says:

O/T Just noticed that Nectar /LNER are offering half points back when using Nectar points to buy LNER vouchers. First time I have seen this for a couple of years.

• Plus were also offering bonus points on first cash booking (which stacked nicely with Amex £10 off £40 offer!)

• Have you had the 500 points for this. I made a booking a couple of weeks ago. Received the base points but not the bonus.

• Oh yeah, I’ve got this too.

• Thanks for this. I’ve been holding out (literally) years for an outsize Nectar redemption. From what I can see, there’s no maximum redemption here. I have 70k Nectar to use, so should be £350 of travel and 35k back!

Vouchers are valid for 12 months, on *advance LNER fares only*, and partial credit is retained.

• Thanks for thid, just checked and I got it too 🙂 However, I’m a bit confused, when I click ‘get voucher code’ I don’t get any code for 50% back, it just takes me to an LNER nectar redemption page. Do I need a code or do I simply redeem points for the vouchers from this page within the offer period to get the points refund?

• The offer page doesn’t have any requirements to enter a code or anything like that. Last time I did something similar (eBay, a few years ago) it was the same thing. Automatic 50% back (as long as you have the offer showing in your account).

• Well, I’ve gone all-in for 72k/ £360.

The vouchers came through and actually have a slightly longer expiry date. 31 Jan 2020 (as displayed on the Nectar website), or 1 Feb 2020 (shown on the LNER website once I’d credited them.

No timescale given for the 50% back, but I’m going to diarise 28 days after the closing date, 19 Dec.

• Nice one – don’t have enough trips planned to justify but seems like a good deal.

• LNER: https://www.lner.co.uk/rewards/spend-your-nectar-points/

“LNER eVouchers are only valid against LNER Advance tickets purchased at lner.co.uk”

i.e. Can’t be used on Season Ticket, may someone please confirm this

• Shoestring says:

You can’t buy season tickets online?

• You can buy season ticket online, with converted voucher is the question.

• Shoestring says:

Thanks! I mean that. You just saved me about £125.

Why? Because I was under the impression you could only buy season ticket @station. My son turns 16 whilst we are away for Xmas hols. You can buy a child’s season ticket (journey to school) for max 3 months after their 16th birthday, provided you buy it before they turn 16. It’s half the adult price.

Was racking my brains trying to think of somebody who would take his photocard & my money to the station to do it for me on 1st January – big ask 🙂

Online it is!

• Shoestring says:

Correction – 4 months max!

2. OT: Test.

• I deleted the other two Craig! The site now runs with a 30 second cache. This means that pages are only updated every 30 seconds and the server – instead of recreating each page from scratch for every visitor – creates it and then, for the next 29 seconds, serves the same thing. It then recreates it, at which point it will pick up new comments. It reduces server drain during peak periods and is why we are now running on page load times of under 1 second for the first time ever (despite the slow-loading Google ads).

• Feel free to delete this completely Rob, I was having trouble posting comments. I think I know what was stopping it now?

3. Sorry for the multiple replies, the abbreviation of a certain flashback site seems to be blocked.

Does anyone know of any Hilton booking options for earning Avios etc?

4. David Ward says:

I noticed a few small changes in the CX Business Class lounge last week – they won’t make you coffee from the bar anymore etc – but all minor in the grand scheme of things.

5. OT Has anyone in Scotland used the Amex offer for Magestic Wine £100 get £25 back. T&C say excludes Scotland but the link for participating shops includes Scotland. Do I need to ring Amex to clarify it – not sure that will help tho!

• Jill (Kinkell) says:

No Liz. Not tried . Saw the ‘excludes Scotland’ .Didnt investigate further.dDo update if you phone Amex

• It’s a code to quote, and the Majestic staff (and website) are very clued up on the alcohol pricing and promotion legislation (other retailers have been more flexible) and I’m sure it won’t work!
        I did consider stopping by a Majestic en route to MAN to buy a couple of cases last time the offer it was on!

• Called Amex and despite the misleading T&Cs Scotland is excluded – stupid drinks laws!

6. LOT have a bid for upgrade option – anyone had any success with this and know what a good offer is to get to business from Warsaw to Singapore? No idea what loads are like and never flown them before.

• Pangolin says:

Their business loads (especially Eastbound) tend to be quite low. TBH you have a good chance of the bid being accepted even if you offer the minimum.

7. BlueHorizonuk says:

OT: Rob I got a notification from twitter when you posted something last night about GUF changes. But clicking on it the tweet was deleted.

What was it!!! LOL

8. OT: what’s the best travel FX deals at the moment, got an Amex spend target to hit, but only needing £300ish USD.

9. BlueThroughCrimp says:

Been to Vilnius a couple of times.
    It’s a nice place, and when the City Fiesta is on at the end of August / beginning of September there’s a really good atmosphere around, with a huge range of stalls of local produce along one of the main streets.

10. Benylin says:

OT: Wilko £10 back for £40 spend posted for 4 purchases, bought Amazon vouchers.

• Mine posted within 3 days, £10 back for GAP and Domino’s spend also appeared pretty quickly.

• Anna, got your split spend on GAP credited successfully?
        I still need to wait for few more days before I can chase Amex

• Yes it’s appeared now but took a few days longer than the credit to one of my other cards even though the orders were placed a few minutes apart.

11. Benylin says:

OT: got this from Air France:
    GIVE THE GIFT OF TRAVEL THIS HOLIDAY SEASON

For a limited time only, purchase an Air France gift card and receive a free additional £20 when you spend £100 or more!*