Last day for Hilton’s UK, Europe and Middle East flash weekend sale

Hilton is running a flash sale on rooms in the UK, Europe, Middle East and Africa.  The sale home page is here.

We never got around to covering this last week, amongst all the coverage of the new British Airways Club Suite and the changes to American Express sign-up bonuses.  Apologies.  However, you still have today to book.

Here are the terms:

book by Monday 25th March

stay on any weekend until 8th September 2019 (Fri/Sat/Sun nights except in the Middle East)

all bookings are pre-paid and non-refundable

some hotels may have midweek dates available at sale prices

Hilton flash sale

The discount is up to 25% off Best Available Rate.  Because these rates are non-refundable, you should really compare them with the standard Advanced Purchase Rate.  As this is usually just 10% or so below Best Available Rate, the sale should still offer a saving.

Remember that Hilton Honors is offering 2,000 bonus points per stay, which I value at £6-£7, until 5th May.  Full details of that offer, and the registration link (you MUST register before your stay), are in this HFP article.

The home page for the Hilton flash sale is here.

PS. Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Hilton Honors points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Two GREAT value hotel redemptions - in Cape Town and, erm, Buckinghamshire!
Singapore Airlines devalues its Star Alliance reward chart

Comments

1. The Hilton Kennington seems to be exceptionally cheap almost 50% less than the other hotels in London, I’ve never stayed so assuming its old and in need of updating or just exceptional value? £81 a night on one weekend compared to £150 for other hilton hotels. Hoping its not a dump!

• It wad in desperate need of TLC when we were there lady year. Great exec lounge though Check TA for latest

2. OT — has anybody been to any of the lounges in Edinburgh airport recently? I know Rob reviewed the Aspire and No. 1 lounges in 2017 but I wondered if anything had changed. I will be there towards the end of April, flying BA economy but with Priority Pass.

• No.1 has been renovated very recently – really nice and open, quiet with decent bar – cold food choices are limited and hot food choices are limited to one per person ordered from the bar.
      Aspire is smaller, but usually louder – I found the food selections there better overall, with a decent wine selection but no sparkles included with PP.
      Opt for the No.1 if you can, but do note they sometimes stop PP holders from getting in when there is the Emirates flight in the afternoon.

• Andrew-A says:

Have a read at this
      Although i like it for breakfasts, you get a much better choice than at No1

• Would recommend Aspire Lounge for food (especially breakfast) but the new No.1 for everything else. It’s in the new terminal extension above Gate 14. If you pre-book No.1 you get fast track security and guaranteed entry for £5. We usually pay the £5, go to Aspire if wanting fed – you can get in 80% of the time – then retreat to No.1 as it’s a much nicer space.

• No 1 definitely nicer in new location but not very handy for non-LCC flights; more food options at Aspire. Don’t agree with that article – had ‘chicken/chorizo paella’ recently at Aspire and it was very tasty! Also free Aspire rewards points with PP – less generous than before but still money for nothing.

3. I see in todays telegraph that curve are taking amex to court.

4. O/T – Booked a short break to Barcelona at the end of April. Looking to book one of the Melia Barcelona hotels to take advantage of the £100 off £400 spend offers on my Platinum AMEX.

Between the Melia Sarria, and The Level at Melia Barcelona Sky, have any readers that have stayed at either one be able to recommend?

• We have reviewed The Level.

• TGLoyalty says:

Do you have the Marriott one? Hotel arts through FHR or cotton house look like great Places to stay

• Andreas says:

Neither are bang in the centre, I would say Melia Sky is in a pleasant area, if a bit residential, a nice 15 min stroll down to the beach, quite a few local cafes and restaurants not far away on the Rambla de Poblenou. Small supermarket 2 mins walk, open late and on Sundays. Also a quick 5 stops on the metro (yellow line) and you are in the town centre. Weather could be good enough to lounge by the pool as well for a bit. Sarria hotel you are a bit further from metro, and blue line not so convenient to get you into town centre as you will have to change lines, more bustling and more traffic, shopping centre close by, not as pleasant for strolling and miles away from the beach.

• Thank you Andreas, very informative. Just booked The Level at Melia Barcelona Sky.

5. illuminatus says:

OT – re ‘Combine my Avios’, BA T&Cs say it is possible to transfer Avios BA Household Account > Iberia Personal, but Iberia are telling me it is not possible.

Has someone transferred from BA Household Account?

• Open an Aer Lingus AerClub account, log in to Avios.com with those details and use Combine My Avios from there. Works every time.

6. Oops…..

BA plane lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf by mistake

Passengers and ground crew thought they were going somewhere different to the flight crew!

• BSI1978 says:

Have I read this correctly – surely the pilots would have clocked this prior to take-off? Do they board plans not know their final destination until the paperwork is handed to them?!

• I’ve heard of TUI almost doing this last summer. People boarded a flight bound for LGW instead of East Midlands.

Seemingly flight crew fail to actually check boarding passes, at all.

But doesn’t the pilot normally announce destination/weather/duration to pax before pre flight safety brief?

• RogerC says:

Flew with this company from LCY the day before, ironically to Edinburgh, in place on a BA plane. No checks on boarding passes and poor English on the tannoy from crew. Still pretty amazed that not one passenger noticed they were going the wrong way!

• Probably just desperate to get a look…best place to live and work in UK, Europe and the world according to three different studies recently 🙂

• Never happened to me but on a package ski holiday a couple of years ago I could tell by the route we were going that the coach taking us to the airport was going to the wrong airport. I had to tell the rep 4 times before she checked with the driver at which point there was a rapid u turn and frantic calls to the airport to try to hold the plane! We just got to the airport in time!

• Graham Walsh says:

My colleagues Sister was on that flight this morning

7. youngtraveller says:

O/T have you guys seen the news about the ba flight that landed in Edinburgh by mistake? No one noticed till they landed.

8. OT Still chasing Virgin Life Insurance points from last year, so make sure they’ve posted to your account. They know I should have them as they see I applied with the correct link. What’s funny is that the guy at Virgin Money called them Air Miles.

9. Kenneth says:

OT – I need some advice please.

Have just returned from a fortnight in the US. Flew CW with Avios from Manchester to San Diego. My main suitcase did not arrive at San Diego. It contained clothes and two cased musical instruments that I needed for an event in California. BA lost my case for a 6 full days.It did eventually turn up at my AirBnB, delivered by FedEx. The trip was pointless without the instruments. I lost the Avios, taxes, an upgrade voucher, accommodation, car hire, etc. Contacted BA on my return and was told that BA do not guarantee that cases arrive on the same flight. And, because I did not buy any clothes and toiletries they said they had no responsibility. They offered me a miserly 15,000 Avios or a one-way upgrade voucher (don’t know the conditions attached) as a “goodwill gesture”. Have not accepted yet. My trip was a disaster. Any ideas whether anything can be done, please?

• Matthew says:

Travel insurance? I’d imagine a claim with that rather than BA for loss.

• Kenneth says:

I have a Platinum Card. I called them and told me that my insurance did not cover any of this. I couldn’t believe it. Neither can I believe that BA accept no responsibility.

• You mustn’t have explained yourself properly.
          Amex Plat insurance certainly DOES offer coverage for delayed/lost luggage. Read the policy. But then, you never bought any replacement clothes toiletries etc (why not?? how could you live without these)
          All very odd, I suspect you have not told us all the applicable detail.

• TGLoyalty says:

Sounds like the case that went missing was the one with instruments.

I have to say that reading this you should read the T&C’s of your Amex insurance policy and be really clear on what the issue was and why your claim is valid if something around the delay is covered.

Sometimes not being covered is because they don’t understand the actual issue. I’m not sure many here do other than you had a holiday rather than worked/recorded music, was there a cost to this and does the insurance cover loss of income? Maybe you need another policy for future trips?

• Jill (Kinkell) says:

One of our cases failed to turn up in Denver last year. We were travelling First, so we got an automatic prepaid m/c with $300 for anything we might require. Case forwarded to us 24 hours later.

• Shoestring says:

@Jill – from whom?

• Confused says:

“I lost the Avios, taxes, an upgrade voucher, accommodation, car hire, etc.”

but yet “Have just returned from a fortnight in the US.”

Not sure I follow this. Lost instruments aside, it appears you ‘enjoyed’ two weeks in sunny California regardless?

Are you saying you now didn’t take the CW flights (using Lloyds upgrade voucher), slept rough in California (appropriately as you had no change of clothes for a fortnight) and didn’t use your booked accommodation or use your presumably pre-booked car hire etc?

I’d suggest you seek advice much faster in future (ie as soon as you realise such luggage has gone AWOL)

• Kenneth says:

Thank you for your valuable advice. And no, the second week was spent visiting friends as I had very little choice with reward availability. What I am saying is that the main purpose of the trip was to perform and record music. The money I spent in advance on car hire, accommodation and such was wasted because I could not do this. And California was not sunny. It was cold and wet. Luckily I didn’t have to sleep rough.

• I think you’d have to show that you suffered some sort of financial loss due to not being able to play the instruments. If you accept the Ts & Cs when you book your tickets (i.e. that your luggage may not arrive with you) then you haven’t got much of a case TBH. I would have thought valuable musical instruments would need separate insurance anyway?

• SimonW says:

I’d have thought you carry the irreplaceable instruments as hand luggage, or rent/buy another one on arrival if they go missing. If 2 of them fitted in a suitcase, I’m guessing they arent that large.

• Well Anna is right – you need first to establish your financial loss. What was it? I would have thought that the loss of a chance to earn money on your trip would be outside of your insurance terms with Amex and you’d be hard pressed with BA either – but I’m not clear if you are saying that….

• If you had no (other) clothes, and never bought any to replace them, how did you get by? And why did you ‘waste’ the (prebooked?) accommodation and car hire? Could you not just have used these regardless, if as you say, it was going to be wasted otherwise?

What travel insurance did you possess? Amex Platinum or Bank policy or arranged personally?

Lots of detail missing from your woe.

PS How cold was it? current weather showing about 20 ish degrees

• Shoestring says:

Yep well known that BA will not compensate you for consequential losses (ie missed everything! as trip mostly pointless without the instruments) – (yes they would have refunded you urgent replacement clothing, toiletries etc, with receipts).

Not worth pursuing with BA as they won’t budge & already offered you a reasonable ‘sorry!’ gesture.

• Mikeact says:

Seems to me that this guy, unfortunately, is not a seasoned traveller as the story does not seem to me to be from someone who knows their way around. Lesson learned.

• Justin says:

I guess BA/travel insurance would have covered you to buy/rent another instrument to do what you needed to.

10. OT: 1000 Lufthansa Miles and More about to expire. Anything I can do with them/do to prolong their life?

11. Shoestring says:

FINTECH start-up Curve ….

[EDITED as I have already had one formal complaint in the last 7 days from a national print title about Shoestring cutting and pasting entire or large chunks of articles]

• Freddy says:

Someone might wanna tell curve that everyone have scrapped their amex cards so may aswell not bother

• Mikeact says:

You mean Rob’s 13000 bloggers or his 30000 social media followers…or both ?

• Shoestring says:

OK, noted, no wish to do more than quote a couple of short, relevant bits:
      [As a result, Mr Bialick said, his business has spent millions of pounds on transactions fees and development work for a project that never launched….As well as launching a legal challenge, Curve said it is filing a complaint with the Payment Systems Regulator. “We have a very large set of investors and we have a lot of money in our war chest,” Mr Bialick said. “When someone is actively trying to kill you, that means you are disrupting the model.”]

• “When someone is actively trying to kill you, that means you are disrupting the model” Is he all there? Their business model is a dead end; and to be honest starting to look at little outdated. Who in their right mind would bother to kill off something that isn’t profitable and not that popular (Curve only has 500,000 cardholders according to the article).