Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your British Airways Premium Plus retention offers!

• cats_are_best 99 posts

Decided to do some end of year tidy-up of subscriptions etc.

Called to downgrade from BAPP to free, still got a 241 voucher to use, but it’ll probably expire, never found it useful vs. travel plans.

No retention offer, but tbh unless it was insanely generous I’d still have said ‘no’, most spend is on the MR-earning Amex.

Checked Amex online a few minutes after the call, it already showed the card change, the card number and credit limit stayed the same.

AFKAE 147 posts

My wife has a BAPP with a feeble credit limit. Having earned the 60K SUB, phoned to cancel stating credit limit too low.

Was offered (and accepted) 5K points for £1K spend in next 3 months.

And did they increase her credit limit at the same time?

I don’t think so, (they didn’t say they would) but I haven’t been on and checked. I’m not that bothered really as I have one as well with a decent limit, so would be happy to can hers.

MF176 184 posts

My wife has a BAPP with a feeble credit limit. Having earned the 60K SUB, phoned to cancel stating credit limit too low.

Was offered (and accepted) 5K points for £1K spend in next 3 months.

And did they increase her credit limit at the same time?

I don’t think so, (they didn’t say they would) but I haven’t been on and checked. I’m not that bothered really as I have one as well with a decent limit, so would be happy to can hers.

Fair enough! Just feels like a “swing and a miss” by AMEX when you give them a perfectly valid and frustrating reason for wanting to cancel, they dangle a carrot they don’t need to dangle, and then don’t actually fix the underlying issue. Very AMEX of them!

sturgeon 193 posts

Would these points be taken back if a card is refunded? I was offered 10k Avios for £3k spend but thinking about the platinum card with £10k spend requirement over 6 months before the 100k signup offer goes.

So if I bought say a refundable hotel room and cancelled it after the points were credited for hitting either the £3k on this card or the £10k on the platinum card will they take the points back, even if I make up for them later?

tobynow 35 posts

Would these points be taken back if a card is refunded? I was offered 10k Avios for £3k spend but thinking about the platinum card with £10k spend requirement over 6 months before the 100k signup offer goes.

So if I bought say a refundable hotel room and cancelled it after the points were credited for hitting either the £3k on this card or the £10k on the platinum card will they take the points back, even if I make up for them later?

I did this by mistake.

Yes, they’ll claw back the avios by putting your amex account into debit (as the avios had moved over). Then, once you hit the spend limit again they give you the bonus avios again and you’ll be whole again.

janed9388 60 posts

I got offered a 5K bonus for a £1k spend before Christmas with just over a month to go until my card anniversary date. I declined and said I’d think about it, went back today to see if it was still available and it wasn’t, but a 10K bonus on £3K spend was. I’m thinking this is possibly because there is now only 2 weeks till the anniversary date. Much happier with this offer so accepted.

chinafish 6 posts

Just went onto chat to say I wanted to cancel my BA Black Amex as my year ends next week.

The first offer they gave was to downgrade to the blue card. And they say that:
    “Please be informed that if you will cancel your British Airways Premium Plus Card you will also lose your companion voucher because there are taxes and fees that needs to be paid when one redeem a Companion Voucher, so if you cancel your Amex BA , you won’t be able to redeem it.”

I didn’t think this was true, is it?

Anyway, I pushed and asked if there’s any retention offers for the Black card specifically, and they gave me the 10k bonus for £3k spend which I have agreed to.

Interested in understanding if I would really have lost my companion voucher if I downgraded?

Nath4n 67 posts

5000 Avios for £1k spend in 3 months. Accepted.

bungalow 179 posts

5000 Avios for £1k spend in 3 months. Accepted.

Interested in understanding if I would really have lost my companion voucher if I downgraded?

Just got offered the 5k for £1000 spend myself, card renewal in a month – declined and cancelled.
    Voucher was mentioned by the agent, ALWAYS been told previously that I would lose it and just ignored them, but for the first time ever the agent told me that my voucher would still be valid as long as I had another Amex!

xefo 47 posts

Second retention offer in two months, OH called with a view to downgrade, 10k points offered for £3k spent in the next 90 days. Accepted as we were undecided about downgrading anyway, we’ll reassess in a few months.

captrik 14 posts

Is there a best time to call on this? My annual renewal date is 14th feb called today and was told no offers available. I spend around £30k a year in the card.

sm 179 posts

Trying to downgrade my BAPP to free blue card but can’t do this on live chat now?

xefo 47 posts

Trying to downgrade my BAPP to free blue card but can’t do this on live chat now?

Yes need to call.

smblcklck 59 posts

Offered and accepted 10k for £3000 in 3 months. I am about 1 month away from renewal and have already used the 241

rtid 41 posts

1 month to go until year anniversary. offered £3k spend for 10k points. accepted

PeteM 709 posts

10k Avios for £3k spend within 3months. Renewal was a couple of months ago.

zapato1060 637 posts

Try this link, log in first

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-gb/apply/downgrade/personal/credit-cards/ba-classic

ukpolak 64 posts

I tried my best on chat but could only get 5000 Avios for £1000 spend on the BAPP card, to spend in three months.. I took it out in Feb 2023 and prob only spent £11k or £12k whilst chasing other SUBs on other cards (so it sat on £9900 for a long while to delay qualifying for the companion voucher).

I asked for more (is this the best you can do etc as with insurance renewals) but they said computer says no.

Anniversary is 22 Feb.

10k Avios for £3k would have been nice but I’ve been spending on Platty to chase the 100k SUB, so no doubt I don’t qualify for a bigger retention bonus.

I’m sorry to hear that you are thinking to cancel your British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. I am glad you called today so we can look into your Account. May I ask the reason why you are thinking of cancelling? May I ask what did originally attract you to the British Airwards American Express Premium Plus Card? Do you have any other Card with Rewards? If so, what’s making you using that one instead of the BA Card? (depending on what they say, please mention Nectar partnership).

Exclusive Offer:

• In recognition of your loyalty to us I would like to offer an exclusive Avios Offer. If you spend £1,000 in the next 3 months you will get 5,000 Avios. Avios will be added to your Account once spend has been made.
    • This is on top of the Avios you already earn
    • You don’t need to take any action, if you accept this offer, I will enrol you now

For reference:

Once you have spent £1,000 the additional 5,000 Bonus Avios will be visible on your account within the next 24-48 hours.

degsy 152 posts

On the regular BA Card rather than the BAPP, was offered 1 extra point-per £ on all spend for the next 3 months.
    Which I duly accepted.

fedemenni 47 posts

On Friday I called to ask to cancel the card.

Firstly I was told no offer was available so asked to talk to the correct team, I wasn’t transferred but the same operator which previously said no offer then offered me 10k avios for spend 3k in 3 months.

I haven’t accepted it on the spot but I will call back today to see if they give me a better offer.

fedemenni 47 posts

On Friday I called to ask to cancel the card.

Firstly I was told no offer was available so asked to talk to the correct team, I wasn’t transferred but the same operator which previously said no offer then offered me 10k avios for spend 3k in 3 months.

I haven’t accepted it on the spot but I will call back today to see if they give me a better offer.

Confirm the above, plus they gave me 1000 points as goodwill on top

BBbetter 640 posts

10k Avios for £3k spend within 3 months.
    Now need to control spending to hit 9.9k and leave it there until voucher is required.

ee 48 posts

10k Avios for £3k spend within 3 months.
    Now need to control spending to hit 9.9k and leave it there until voucher is required.

Same offer here with anniversary in February. Happy to take them up on it!

wallace.leung@hotmail.co.uk 1 post

Another 10k Avios for £3k spend within 3 months. Made on the day of card year end

Josh 19 posts

Ill add another example: 10k for £3k spend (3 months). Our spending on the card was practically 0 since oct/nov time.

I was tempted to keep it for another year anyway, was planning on getting one myself with that BA bonus going round but I dont want to apply for more credit atm.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.