Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your British Airways Premium Plus retention offers!

• RV 45 posts

Not really a retention bonus, but I got a surprising 2K goodwill bonus for upgrading from the free card to BAPP. Posted this month. Wasn’t really expecting anything so every little helps 😀

strickers 651 posts

10k Avios for £3k spend over 3 months. Just triggered this years voucher and don’t start earning towards next for 6 weeks. Saves me putting it in the drawer for a few weeks.

BBbetter 641 posts

10k Avios for £3k spend over 3 months. Just triggered this years voucher and don’t start earning towards next for 6 weeks. Saves me putting it in the drawer for a few weeks.

Tbf, isn’t it better getting the offer when your next earning period starts?

strickers 651 posts

@BBbetter It doesn’t make too much difference, I have about £4k to pay towards a cruise which will straddle both options. I won’t have any problem hitting the £10k, especially as Mrs S can’t apply anymore owing to the income requirements. I’ll probably hit £9k around 6 months in and the card will go back in the drawer.

pog2005 16 posts

Not really a retention bonus, but I got a surprising 2K goodwill bonus for upgrading from the free card to BAPP. Posted this month. Wasn’t really expecting anything so every little helps 😀

Did you have to do anything to get that goodwil bonus? Have just upgraded from free to BAPP using the online form.

RV 45 posts

Did you have to do anything to get that goodwil bonus? Have just upgraded from free to BAPP using the online form.

I called instead of using the web form.

pog2005 16 posts

I called instead of using the web form.

Ah – shame I didn’t think of that!

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

Just been offered 10k extra avios for spending £3k in 3 months. Not brilliant (someone on another thread was offered 25k MR points to spend £1k on the gold!), but I have a couple of BA Holidays to pay for so it’s 10k extra for spend I’d be doing anyway.

aq.1988 454 posts

Just been offered 10k extra avios for spending £3k in 3 months. Not brilliant (someone on another thread was offered 25k MR points to spend £1k on the gold!), but I have a couple of BA Holidays to pay for so it’s 10k extra for spend I’d be doing anyway.

You can hardly blame them for not offering much on BAPP compared to Gold. What you get for £250 on BAPP is much more substantial than what you get for £195 on Gold.

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

Hmm, not when you compare it to 50k MR points for absolutely nothing for the Platinum 😂

aq.1988 454 posts

Hmm, not when you compare it to 50k MR points for absolutely nothing for the Platinum 😂

Some people actually got 75k on Platinum! I “only” got 35k. But the point still stands, justifying the £650 fee for Platinum is debatable (I dont think the £400 credits are worth £400), so only with the retention offers does it make sense for a lot of people.

The premium companion voucher is worth significantly more than £250 to most people that use it for long haul J redemptions (saving 100k+ avios usually).

I don’t blame anyone for asking for anything on BAPP, but the card genuinely has a USP worth paying for.

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

Well we’ve had this card for about 14 years, so missed plenty of churning opportunities over the years, so I don’t feel guilty about asking for a bit of a retention bonus when the fee looms into view!

aq.1988 454 posts

Well we’ve had this card for about 14 years, so missed plenty of churning opportunities over the years, so I don’t feel guilty about asking for a bit of a retention bonus when the fee looms into view!

And I don’t blame you! Just saying that 10k extra is more than reasonable for what you get with BAPP compared to the Gold/Platinum.

sturgeon 193 posts

Has anyone successfully got another retention offer (ie spend £3k to unlock Avios) after a previous offer? I was going to renew anyway but accepted this offer before the anniversary. Wondering if I could get it again in the new card year with pro rata refunds still being a thing.

tdtm5000 4 posts

2 months in to my card year, enquired about cancelling after the changes to the companion voucher spend threshold.

Offered 5k avios for £1k spend in 3 months. Accepted and had the 5k credited immediately

JDB 4,385 posts

2 months in to my card year, enquired about cancelling after the changes to the companion voucher spend threshold.

Offered 5k avios for £1k spend in 3 months. Accepted and had the 5k credited immediately

You jumped in too soon after the HfP article the contents of which have yet to be formally communicated to cardholders. The more standard offer currently is 10k Avios for £3k spend but the retentions will be going up soon.

tdtm5000 4 posts

You jumped in too soon after the HfP article the contents of which have yet to be formally communicated to cardholders. The more standard offer currently is 10k Avios for £3k spend but the retentions will be going up soon.

I asked if they had any higher avios higher spend offers and the CS agent said this was the only one available to me.

How often do the retention offers get refreshed? Any chance of coming back in a months time to another 5-10k for £X spend?

JDB 4,385 posts

@tdtm5000 – no, two months is too soon! Realistically, you might get one every 10 months or so until the whole system explodes.

Annie 186 posts

I just asked about a retention bonus. Two weeks to the end of my card year. I’ve spent £45k on the card this year. Was offered nothing.

The 241 voucher is nice to have but I am seriously thinking about looking elsewhere. I don’t feel valued at all after many years with Amex.

executiveclubber 269 posts

I just asked about a retention bonus. Two weeks to the end of my card year. I’ve spent £45k on the card this year. Was offered nothing.

The 241 voucher is nice to have but I am seriously thinking about looking elsewhere. I don’t feel valued at all after many years with Amex.

Indeed, I feel they have given up pretending to care about you and are being more brazen about showing it.
    2-4-1 is well worth keeping even in the absence of retention offers.

Wiseoldman 69 posts

Just called to cancel my BAPP and was put through and cancellation team and cancelled. I had sgned up through BA for 50,000 sign up but was only given 25,000/- The complaints team said they could not look at the evidence; i recorded the entire application process, because they back office said offer code was wrong. Triggered the 2 4 1 and cancelled.

Now going to FOS to file a complaint

JDB 4,385 posts

Just called to cancel my BAPP and was put through and cancellation team and cancelled. I had sgned up through BA for 50,000 sign up but was only given 25,000/- The complaints team said they could not look at the evidence; i recorded the entire application process, because they back office said offer code was wrong. Triggered the 2 4 1 and cancelled.

Now going to FOS to file a complaint

If you are going to the FOS, it may be worth looking at the fairly numerous ombudsman decisions on this topic as Amex’s defences in these cases may help you formulate your own complaint in a more effective manner.

Wiseoldman 69 posts

thanks @JDB. Plan to do the homework before i file. anything in particlular?

JDB 4,385 posts

thanks @JDB. Plan to do the homework before i file. anything in particlular?

@Wiseoldman
    – Amex will produce evidence from their systems that shows your application came from a source/with an offer code that rendered it ineligible for the enhanced 50k SUB. You say you have recorded your application pathway which shows you were eligible. Under the FOS process, you won’t get to see their evidence, nor will they see yours, but you only need to win on the balance of probabilities which may be assisted by you offering some background. Were you waiting for an enhanced offer to apply? Did you then apply through the right link to make sure you got that offer? Were you well inside the dates of the offer? My recollection is that this offer, unlike the 70k, was available on the Amex site, not just via BA so it’s difficult to understand where Amex is suggesting your application came from/via. Was it with a referral? Was 25k the standard offer prior to and after this or could you have got an enhanced one that you would have used? The other thing that was different about this offer was that the SUB was paid in two separate tranches of 25k so the fault could lie with Amex’s delivery of the second part.

From past issues surrounding these cases reported here, it’s very clear that the cookie/tracker for these offers is very ‘sensitive’ and easy to dislodge, e.g. if you navigate away to do something else and Amex relies on the code which shows in the address page. It’s worth going through your evidence to check it is watertight and hopefully the timings all coincide.

It’s very odd that Amex wouldn’t entertain considering any evidence from you, although they seemed quite bruised after the mess surrounding the 70k offer in Jan/Feb 2023 which led to a lot of false claims. Have actually had a final response letter? If not, I would actually write to Amex again because than FOS can have unpredictable outcomes.

Floatation_Device 2 posts

I’ve just been offered 10k avios for a 3k spend in next 3 months.

Should I accept or wait to see if there’s an improved offer when the changes are officially announced?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.